Building a hybrid?

• Looks great! I can't wait to get started.

I have a piece of 7/16" fine threaded rod to make a drawbar. I just need to grab a few nuts at the hardware store, and then the horizontal milling head is good to go.

I've started working on the delrin handle, and hope to get started on the carbon fiber tube this week. I still need to order a couple of cutters to make the various angles for the wood and track sections. I'll also need to get a Forstner bit to drill the hole for the tube, but I'm waiting until I have the tube done to decide on which size to get. I'll have to make an extension, as well, unless I can find an extra long shank bit.

I've built it several times in my head already . . .

• Are you going to try to get a forstner the actual size of the tube, or use your home made flycutter to get the final dimension?

• I am targetting 1-3/8" diameter for the tube, but that could turn out a little over or a little under size. I'll have to play with some scraps to see how closely the hole from a Forstner bit cuts to the nameplate dimension. I am guessing that I will probably need to start with the closest, smaller size of Forstner bit, and creep up on the final dimension with the flycutter.

• Yup. A lot of times the bit is a little less than true with the shaft and the "wobble" makes the hole a little big. At least that's true with the cheap forstners. I bought a couple of good ones for cutting holes for plugs on furniture and they were pretty true. Bits up in the 1-3/8" size could be a little pricey for a good one, though. I think I'd use your approach and just creep up on it slowly with the flycutter.

• Shipped the blank today- bubble wrapped and in a 4" pvc pipe. Let me know when it arrives and if it's ok. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the build.

• Thanks, I'll be looking for it. I'm running a little behind schedule getting the other parts moving, but hope to get back on the gun soon. Send me a Paypal request for whatever I owe you.

• I've got my stock.
    Griswold cut me a few sticks of the core material so I can get started shaping to form my carbon fiber tube.
    I finished molding my handle last night, and just need to make the slide trigger. I'll post some pics of that later.

• Ok, I'll come clean. As you are molding the Shapelock, you dip in hot water, mold it a little, and then reheat it if need be or cool it to set it hard. Remember how I said "hot" and not "boiling". Inevitably, there are tiny little pockets of water trapped within or behind the Shapelock. If you set the handle in a pot of water on the stove, and get distracted, say, reading about wetsuits on a forum, the pot of water can boil. As will the little pockets of trapped water. Without anywhere to go, the steam pressure builds and then pops like a little volcano. I came back to find my handle pockmarked with about a dozen little craters.

• I have a drill bit extension if you don't want to invent the wheel again, not sure how straight it is though.

Hmm. Might want to check that out before I build one.

Core - No big deal. Just let it cool, then heat it up a little to smooth the surface.

Here's a few pics, along with an Alexander and Aimrite handle for comparison. The trigger guard area is the same size, but my grip is a little smaller to better fit my hand, (especially with gloves) and has a little more angle to it. That one litte spot of white where I didnt' get the dye mixed in still bugs me a little . . .