What type of dive socks should I get?

• I am wearing Mares Razor fins if that is of any help in decision making. I have been diving with size 11, 3mm, bodyglove, closed cell style dive socks and they have kept me warm even in Northern California while abalone diving. However they are starting to fall apart because I do a lot of walking on rocks, gravel and dirt. I have been thinking about getting the open cell style socks to replace the beat up ones I have, however, I know how I slip in my open cell wetsuit. I don't want to experience that when I need sure footing walking over boulders and rocks in the surf zone. The things I need from a sock are durability from walking on ruff surfaces, non slip exterior and interior, warmth, calf high length, and 3mm thickness. What would you recommend? Thanks. :)

• I think that open cell socks have lining on the sole... other wise, it would be hard to walk safely.
    I know that because I replace some soles with the neoprene used in forza tre suits (polosub) to test it's durability and to repair the socks. The test went well as the neoprene proved to be very resilient with all my weight on and on rough ground (so it would be great - as it is - in a wetsuit) but I had some "I don't don't how to ice skate but I'm going to try it" alike moments :)

• I use the divers direct store brand 3mm socks... evo i think. Id just get some crocs or something to wear between your car and the water so you dont wreck the socks fast.

• I use the divers direct store brand 3mm socks... evo i think. Id just get some crocs or something to wear between your car and the water so you dont wreck the socks fast.

I use some old nikes to get around in but the walk between the shore and nikes still tears up the socks pretty good.

• The argos booties I have hold up pretty well to rocking on the lava rocks over here in hawaii as well as on the gravely bottoms. I think they make different thicknesses. The cut on them IMO is pretty good. They're a little pricey ~$35. It keeps my feet pretty warm and i believe they make a high cut one.

• I use walmart socks. 10pack will last me the year :D If you need neoprene socks, the spetton 3mm open cell socks were the best dive socks I've ever worn. but unfortunately, they were too thick for diving in the Caribbean.

• You could try putting Shoe Goo or Goop! all over the bottoms and stressed areas. Other than that just try to find some on sale and buy a few pairs. Nice halibut in your avatar man!

• In florida I only use a thin lycra sock. I also dont put on my socks and fins until I'm in the water. Sand in my fin is the worst.

Althought I dont wear neoprene socks Ive checked out some of Dans speardiver socks and they are exceptionally well thought out and well made like all of Dans products. I think they are what youre looking for.

Open cell inside except the bottom of foot is lined so you dont slip walking. Plus the bottom is lined in wetsuit elbow pad so they will hold up. They come in camo colors too.

Speardiver Ninja Socks

• I also try to sock up in the water. I use Akona 2mm low booties. I need more than Lycra to protect my feet and less than 3mm or my FP's are tight.

When these die ill probably try dans

i like to spear fish

• I also try to sock up in the water. I use Akona 2mm low booties. I need more than Lycra to protect my feet and less than 3mm or my FP's are tight.

When these die ill probably try dans

Those akona 2mm are the bomb! 3 years and mine are finally worn out and the store i got them doesn't have them anymore,,, I tried some 3mms and theyre just too restricting.

that said Ill try some speardiver socks next, if theyre anything like my wetsuit I wont regret it

- I just realized I rewrote ur post basically judah ,ha

Scupper Pro Gives You Wings!

• Hahaha. Great minds, my friend, they think alike.

Akonas can be found on eBay but I am prolly going speardiver next.

One small concern I have is that my toe nails are often in need of a trim. I just make a foot fist when donning my wetsuit but would dragon toenails damage an open cell bootie?

i like to spear fish

• Hahaha. Great minds, my friend, they think alike.

Akonas can be found on eBay but I am prolly going speardiver next.

One small concern I have is that my toe nails are often in need of a trim. I just make a foot fist when donning my wetsuit but would dragon toenails damage an open cell bootie?

The long toe nails was also a concern of mine. Especially with how fragile the open cell foam is.

• Thanks for the picture Dan. That looks like a nice sock. I wear a size 12 in most shoes a 13 in Nike and work boots but I am an 11 with this last pair of body glove dive socks. Where would I fall in your size chart for a 3mm sock?

• Just an update, so my Argos socks I was using started to come apart and tear at the seams. I got the speardiver predator socks today and let me say these are by far more comfortable then the Argos, it's hard to explain that it's stretchy but yeah conforms to my feet very nicely. Looking to put them through the ringer with my shore dives in the next week or two. I'll update further!

• I won some Argos 4mm dive socks in a local auction for cheap and am going to try them out. If I'm not happy I will get the Speardiver ones next. Thanks for the info and help guys. :)