Most ridiculous Anti spearfishing Campaign I've seen

• Violently Harpooned Ads - The Sea Shepherd Campaign Shows the Harm of Predatory Fishing

The Sea Shepherd campaign may be very graphic, but it shocks people into an awareness of a particular form of animal abuse: Predatory fishing. While it is bad enough that fish are purposefully hunted prey, the fact that this form of fishing often brings harm to other animals is unacceptable.

I should only laugh at this stupid shit. But I just lost all respect for the sea shepherds. Up until now I supported their cause for the whales, at least at heart, not as if that meant much in the real world.

• And the headline isn't even proper English. I had similar feelings about the Organization, but blatant misinformation like this borders on the criminal...This is based on total fantasy. So sad.

• I dont think they are actually aiming at spearo's rather it was just a convenient way of showing a land animal harmed by overfishing. Stabbing both with a "harpoon" is just a very poor attempt at a literal interpretation "hurting fish hurts all of the earth" metaphor.

The message I think they are trying to relay is "overfishing hurts more then the ocean". But they are just too clueless and stupid and anti-fishing to understand the difference or draw a line between commercial fishing and the rest. If they were smart they would get recreational fishermen on their side.

• I'd make up a few photoshops of my own to deal with them on the same level; organization leaders feasting on meat in a fancy restaurant, running over sea mammals with their boat causing gashes with their props etc. Nothing will come of this "campaign" so may as well ignore these sufferers. It's ironic that spearfishing is the most selective of all fishing forms, with no by-catch whatsoever.

• Reading a little more it seems perhaps they are just beyond stupid and didnt put much thought into it beyond it would make a graphic advertisement.

• Chief, I'm in the advertising industry, and am all for fancy metaphors etc, but jeez, how dumb and sensationalistic can you be? And at least have a native English speaker proof the damn thing before it goes out...

• I agree its sensationalist crap. But people seem to be drawing the conclusion from it that the sea Shepard organization is making a concerted effort to target spear fishermen. I think its almost the exact opposite. Instead its a couple of hapless guys at some random ad agency barely connected to the sea Shepard org who came up with a really stupid brainless idea.

The former could have serious implications for spearfishing, imagine whale wars plugs for anit-spearing. But the latter not so much. So I think its okay to just laugh at/ignore these idiots.

• Well, how are they not to draw that conclusion when there is a spearfishing shaft sticking from a bird's head. They are talking about predatory fishing. We are predatory fisherman. How can you not draw a connection. This agency has done quite a bit of work for Sea Shepherds. This was definitely sanctioned by them... Ad agencies don't just do this stuff for shits and giggles, they were paid big bucks for this I can almost guarantee you that.

• Well, how are they not to draw that conclusion when there is a spearfishing shaft sticking from a bird's head. They are talking about predatory fishing. We are predatory fisherman. How can you not draw a connection. This agency has done quite a bit of work for Sea Shepherds. This was definitely sanctioned by them... Ad agencies don't just do this stuff for shits and giggles, they were paid big bucks for this I can almost guarantee you that.

Dont get me wrong im not defending sea shep. as much as I dislike whaling I probably dislike them more. They are a disgrace.

And I can see exactly how someone can draw the connection. My point is that I think its seeing conspiracy against spearfishing where its purely coincidence, incompetence, and "anti predatory fishing" propaganda. Where we see someone photosopping in a speargun shaft they were photoshopping in a "harpoon" fired by ambiguous "predatory fishermen".

Not saying this to defend the ad or the sea shepard org. Its terrible and In fact, im sure they are anti-spearfishing along with anti every other form of fishing (probably even catch and release). I just dont think people should be worried there is some kind of concerted anti spearfishing campaign taking place.

Also im not saying they arent connected or weren't paid by them in some way. But I dont see the ads being used by sea shepard,. The only places the advertisement is posted is basically on advertising websites (presemably by the ad authors themselves) and that was last year.

• I agree g but fanatical enviros could do this just out of passion. Probably not.

I wrote a quick email to the network saying that I would not watch the network or support its advertisers if they allowed them selves to be associated with such misguided propaganda. I doubt anything will come of it but I can't think of anything else to do.

I certainly agree with your outrage

i like to spear fish

• Disregarding the possible negative image it may portray to .....normal people, I think it's badass. haha. "Don't **** with spearos." would be a good caption. Call me crazy...maybe I am...living down here in the bush....

I dont' mind shooting the big egrets. They eat shrimp from our ponds.

• Disregarding the possible negative image it may portray to .....normal people, I think it's badass. haha. "Don't **** with spearos." would be a good caption. Call me crazy...maybe I am...living down here in the bush....

I dont' mind shooting the big egrets. They eat shrimp from our ponds.

Hahahaha I am afraid few will see it that way. Here the IDEA that someone is the "victim" seem to automatically draw support to their cause with no factual support.

I bet a lot of people think those are real images!!!

Can you imagine how hard a bears skull is? Imagine any gun we shoot doing that??

i like to spear fish

• When I google search these images the only places I find them are on blogs about advertising or spearfishing. I can't find any evidence that Sea Shephard ever went ahead with this campaign.
    I've never been a fan of Paul and his band of crazy pirates, but I think we are giving this more air time than anyone.

• I see an entirely different message here that you guys do. What I see are horrid fish eating monsters attacking poor helpless swimming creatures dispatched by hero speros who will not stand idly by without coming to the aid of the weak and oppressed. Granted there is some collateral damage but you have to break a few eggs to make an omelet.

I watch Whale Wars to laugh as the arrogant self-rigorous captain tries to get media attention and bow like he backed into a spear. Naturally Save the Whales but it is not a license to be a pirate, board ships, throw stink bombs, and foul props. How would we feel if they super glued our fins together to prevent us from fishing?

When I am not sleeping, I'm Spearfishing.
    My Aeris 10 only records 99 dives.
    I use them all every day the China Sea will admit me.

• isn't being vegan an operational requirement in order to be a member of the Sea Shepard's crew ? i very much doubt that they would like spearfishing . personally i think they are a little extreme although it is good that they are speaking out against over fishing but there needs to be balance .

Be safe ... Happy hunting .

• I see an entirely different message here that you guys do. What I see are horrid fish eating monsters attacking poor helpless swimming creatures dispatched by hero speros who will not stand idly by without coming to the aid of the weak and oppressed. Granted there is some collateral damage but you have to break a few eggs to make an omelet.

I watch Whale Wars to laugh as the arrogant self-rigorous captain tries to get media attention and bow like he backed into a spear. Naturally Save the Whales but it is not a license to be a pirate, board ships, throw stink bombs, and foul props. How would we feel if they super glued our fins together to prevent us from fishing?

i agree , odds are they are going to start a true international conflict between nations . personally i would like to see them touch a Russian ship .:D

Be safe ... Happy hunting .