Dull Filet Knives

• spearos-- I need help. My filet knives are dull and I wanted to know how others sharped their filet knives. I have tried the little cermatic sticks that are V shaped and you pull the knife through but after several sharpenings those sharpeners do not put a shaving edge on a knife.
    How do others sharpen your knifes please?

• I use majic chef. It was an impulse purchase for sure but it works well. I got mine at bass pro. I just inserted the link here, not sure if you can get it cheeper elsewhere.
    Steve

Edited 2 times, last by Stevo: image prob ().

• If you know how to use one properly, a sharpening stone can be effective and inexpensive.

I don't know about that "Magic Chef" one. However, I can see why they call it Magic, because after you purchase one, all your money will disappear from your wallet. :0:)

• The v-sticks work great for me, shaves hair right off, are super cheap and super fast, ?$1.99 online but $4.99 basspro?. I use the one from gerber, gerber pocket knife sharpener.

Davie Peguero

• They do this thing downtown here once a month where they have an outdoor market, and lots of the local artists display and sell their stuff. Anyway, there is this guy who sets up a booth sharpenning knives for a couple bucks each, and he has quite a following. I watched him for 15 minutes or so, and at least 10 people left all manner of knives for him to sharpen. He didn't use anything fancy. Just a small table set up with three different flat stones and a leather strap. But it was amazing to see how fast this guy could put a shaving edge on almost any blade. I definately want to go back sometime when I can watch him longer.

• I would love to have a professional knife sharpener around. I'd take every single knife I have over.

As far as the dull fillet knife, I've used a whetstone, like Dan, and the sharpener Davie has. If you just have regular old fillet knives (cheap), then I'd just do the sharpener method (with multiple courseness levels). I keep a sharpener with the knife so I can just run them through after every couple fish or one triggerfish.

The Stone takes some level of skill, but should yield the best results, though.

Arnold Schwarzenegger should play Conan in the modern remake.

• Is that really him? Looks by the body structure like it could be. If so I find it a little sad, what age will do to a man. On the other hand he pushed it to the extreme when he was young, maybe a more natural athlete would age better. Arnold was born in 1947 so that makes him 62 at this time. Still not so bad considering it's a bad pose and how much pressure he put on his body. It's only striking in comparison to the other pic.

• I know in Hialeah there are mobile knife sharpening vans that go from restaurant to restaurant. They are Cuban knife sharpeners that continue to do the same trade here.

They'll pull up behind a restaurant and whistle then someone will bring out the knives and they will sharpen them right there.

They have a distinctive whistle which my dad says is the same used in Cuba.

Davie Peguero

• I know in Hialeah there are mobile knife sharpening vans that go from restaurant to restaurant. They are Cuban knife sharpeners that continue to do the same trade here.

They'll pull up behind a restaurant and whistle then someone will bring out the knives and they will sharpen them right there.

They have a distinctive whistle which my dad says is the same used in Cuba.

that is cool as hell

I use a cheapo sharpener with the opposing ceramic rods for my fillet knives and it works well enough it just takes some resharpening after every five or so fish. for other knives the stone is the way to go.

I have a buddy who bought a knife sharpeneing kit that had these rods that you set against a form so they were held at a particular angle, this allowed you to just run the balde over it and get the desired point. it was annoying to learn how to use but yeilded shaving sharp blades...I'll see if he still has it and has any more info to share

i like to spear fish