Hollywood shore dive report

• Hi guys,

It's been a while since I got to shoot some fish, and 10 days Hawaii diving every day left me itching to kill something. So when judah(lunkerbuster) asked me if I was down for a early afternoon shore dive out of Hollywood, I was all over it.

I decided to drag the wife and daughter along, and make it a family affair. The water was calm, and relatively clear inside of 20ft. deeper than that, and vis drastically went down. Fish were out, and as soon as I reached the 1st reef line, I was bussed by about 50 Spanish mackerel. Pretty cool to be reminded how it feels being schooled. After landing a Mack, we continued on, but found vis getting worse the further out we went, that combined with the moronic boat drivers, made us stay shallow. Soon after turning around, I spotted a large eye from the surface, peeking out from behind a seafan, nothing else. It only beings 20' made the stalk kinda hard, so I just dive bombed. Once halfway done it became clear it was a good sized gag grouper, and he wanted nothing to do with me and started taking off. I used a large coral head as cover to close the distance, and made a long spine shot. The shaft did not penetrate the spine, and I watched in horror as the fish took off without my flopper engaging. He finally managed to shake the shaft, and holed up under the coral head I had just used as cover. Not wanting to give him a chance to relocate, I used Judah's gun to place a 2nd shot, and the fish was in the bag. 28" gag in 20' at one of soflo's busiest beaches in the middle of summer. Who would have thought. Judah managed a few nice eating fish as well, and I'm sure he'll chime in to give some details.

Coming back in we apparently had a shark trailing us, and the lifeguard cleared the water. People on the beach we pretty excited. I never saw the shark, but people said he was right behind us. Go figure.

• It really did feel great to get out and do some hunting although i was not at my best. I did manage a little yj and a 14-16" hog.

The people on the beach never cease to amaze me with their ignorance. At least three people flat out asked us to give them fish, and they were serious. So many misguided, guys telling their wives and families completely false facts about the fish, the ocean and life in general. Hahaha

We had a great day

i like to spear fish

• sweet porgy :)

I had to make him pay. He would sneak up on me every time my head was turned. Then he would teleport out of range when I would look at him. I timed his routine, and nailed him straight through the eye. They make such good fish sandwiches. 😛

• I had to make him pay. He would sneak up on me every time my head was turned. Then he would teleport out of range when I would look at him. I timed his routine, and nailed him straight through the eye. They make such good fish sandwiches. 😛

Some fish you stalk, and some fish stalk you :D

they really do make amazing fish sandwiches, like a small mangrove does

Scupper Pro Gives You Wings!

• Very nice! I remember one time in Miami Beach I had some idiot tourist tell me "you're wasting your time, there's nothing out there" and I came back with a nice red grouper. There's nice fish almost everywhere and it's better when they show up when you least expect them.

Nice catch Gerald