Where to mount camera housing on speargun?

• Help! :) Just bought a Contour Roam camera with underwater housing and would love the input from all you experienced speargun videographers on where you would recommend to mount the mount for the underwater housing on the gun. On my Koah Euro I can mount on back top of gun or on bottom front, right under band slot... I am worried that in bad visibility the rear mount wont catch the fish on camera, but that the forward mount will seriously add drag when I want to turn the gun in a hurry as the housing is not tiny. Also if I am rigged with a reel(I can rig both breakaway and reel) that in a good fight the housing may become a casualty.
    All input is welcome.

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

Edited 2 times, last by Dude george ().

• I'm no expert on this but when Jake shoots, he mounts the GoPro on his head with a strap.
    If it's on the gun and you let go the gun to grab the fish, the camera keeps on rolling.
    But the gun and camera may be pointing anywhere. If it's on your head, it'll stay focused on the fish and the fight since that's what you'll be looking at.

• You should mount the camera behind bands and shooting line. If it's in the front under the band slot, there's a chance either will catch on it.

If you put it straight on top of the gun it will block your aim.

You should position such that it will not interfere too badly with loading.

The best option IMO is off to either side.

• Thanks Dan, thats what I ended up working out for myself but the mount wont fit on the side as its a seriously low profile gun... which is awesome for tracking but blows for mounting a camera!! lol... mounted just behind the trigger mech as any further back would have interfered with loading I thought, will see how it goes and if I cant aim well with it I may remove it(I have a spare adhesive pad) and modify the base even more to try to squeeze it onto the side of gun.
    Flying to Trinidad tonight to start a month of intensive spearing and will be living on my buddies boat so lots of time to experiment in the future :cool2:

George Steele

• Intermittent Dan, but I should be able to post some pics from time to time I hope.

George Steele

• Hank, the contour with underwater housing is way to big to put on my head so I am stuck trying to mount on the gun.

George Steele

• NOTE TO SELF: DONT MOUNT THE F'in Camera on the back of the gun then dive into a cave with 0 vis and shoot a 12 pound dog and fight it till out of air!! RESULT= no camera, no spear BUT I got the fish :@

George Steele

• NOTE TO SELF: DONT MOUNT THE F'in Camera on the back of the gun then dive into a cave with 0 vis and shoot a 12 pound dog and fight it till out of air!! RESULT= no camera, no spear BUT I got the fish :@

OK, I agree with Dan & Hank. There is a story imbedded in this one (lose spear and camera but got the fish) and we would loooooovvvvveeeeeee to hear the details!!! :@

Standing by when you get Internet again :thumbsup2:

• Here's what I think happened.. Camera comes off the gun as the monster pargo thrashes in the cave. George undeterred wrestles the fish out of the cave and swims it to the surface. At the surface he signals the boat to come over and collect his prize, and in anticipation of handing the fish over unclips the shooting line from the gun to remove the spear from the fish. As he focuses on the fish he forgets to hold on to the shaft, which slips out of the fish and disappears in the murky depths!

Ok ok it happened to me once. Minus the camera and it was a big Jack over El Admirante in Homestead :)

BUMP..

DG, Where would you suggest mounting this camera?

I've been contemplating for awhile whether or not to purchase this cam.

Looks solid and easy to use. Only turn-off for me is the huge WP case!

IMO, it seems to robust for a mask strap mount. And because I use a wood gun, finding a mount that's compatible for it is very tricky.

Any thoughts or suggestions!

Mahalo, Joe

• A mount that is attached by using a screw that replaces one of the trigger pins? I'll have some news about that next week (basically it's like the mask mount http://spearfishing.world/85128-post16.html but attached sideways) but for Gopro...

• J, the camera underwater case is large compared to a gopro.
    It was working fine at rear top of the gun with a stick on mount, and would do it again in that position when I get the roam2 in a few weeks as the replacement for the one I lost.
    What an amazing tool that would be if you fabricated a mount like that Marinatus! Everyone makes a million GoPro mounts, but a Contour has very few options... Please help us Contour guys out.

George Steele

• J, the camera underwater case is large compared to a gopro.
    It was working fine at rear top of the gun with a stick on mount, and would do it again in that position when I get the roam2 in a few weeks as the replacement for the one I lost.
    What an amazing tool that would be if you fabricated a mount like that Marinatus! Everyone makes a million GoPro mounts, but a Contour has very few options... Please help us Contour guys out.

I don't own one or have a friend that has one so making accurate measurements is an issue... but if someone could get me those (or point me in the right direction) I could look into that :)