Reasonable wetsuit modifications?

• I'm looking for my first freediving suit. At 5'-4" and around 155 lbs, "off the rack" probably won't fit perfectly, but the main problem is likely to be that the sleeves and pants are a few inches too long. I'm leaning towards a 3.5 mil open cell suit, and was wondering. Can I cut the sleeves and pants offa little if need be, or are the ends reinforced with extra thickness or stitching to help the suit last longer? If I do cut them, what might be needed to keep sticthing from unravelling, etc?

Edited once, last by Guest ().

• I don't like open cell. When on the inside you need lubrication or at least water to put it on. On the outside the material will cut easily. Without a doubt though it cuts water circulation inside the suit completely and is consequently warmer. Allowing you to use a thinner suit in colder water.

You can easily cut and shorten sleeves and pant legs if it's neoprene with nylon inner and outer. It will work just like that or with a dab of Aquaseal where the stitching ends. For a more professional finish you can have a soft nylon web trim stitched around the cut. Shouldn't be too expensive to do this.

• Ok, maybe I jumped to the open cell a little prematurely in my mind. For much of our spring and fall diving, water temps are in the 62-68°F range. I can do that for a little while in my 3 mil farmer john closed cell scuba suit, but only because the dives are short and I am constantly moving. I figured for freediving, with longer times in the water and much more time being still, I would either need open cell or a thicker suit. I've never actually worn an open cell suit, just tried one on.

I can see where open cell on the outside would be a little fragile. I thought most of the suits were open cell on the inside, with nylon or something else on the outside?

Unfortunately, I don't really have a convenient LDS where I can look these over and try them on the way I would like to.

• If you don't mind using lubrication to get in the suit, open cell on the inside will be an advantage for you in the cold. Since you're not doing some crazy depths where super slick gliding is a must you can use nylon on the outside without hesitation. From your descriptions of diving around wrecks mostly I'd think that durability is foremost and the nylon outer will give you that. Of course two piece is the way to go in any case. I don't like farmer John, for convenience ;) ending under your chest works just fine.

• I would go with a 5mm open or closed. I recently freedove 70 degree water and was cold while my friend had a 5 mil open and was overheating.

For the price I would suggest a custom suit from www.diveskin.net it will cost a little under $250 delivered to your door. You supply him with 16 different measurement to make your custom suit and usually arrives in 2 weeks and sometimes even 3 days.

Davie Peguero

• I had a 3mm Diveskin with nylon on both sides. Harry had a 3mm Diveskin open cell and I think he would get a bit cold as well. My friend had an immersion 5mm open cell and was overheating. Its better to be warm than cold because shivering really affect your oxygen consumption.

Davie Peguero

• Jeff, I agree with Pargo that open cell is a pain in the butt and not worth having a fragile suit that is hard to get into, unless you are trying to get away with a thin suit and you are very easy on your gear (which you are not). Your water temps really are too cold for a 3mm. A lined 5mm suit would be what I'd get if I were in your shoes. I agree with seeweed that a custom is probably the way to go.

• @#$#! I overheated my Shapelock handle while I was reading! That will have to be another thread . . .

True, my style of scuba hunting is a little tough on gear. Not having much freediving experience, I didn't know if the same would be true. When you say a "lined" 5 mil, what kind of lining are you talking about?

• custom open cell for the win. Warmer, and more comfortable!

I will never buy closed cell again.

• I hate wetsuit with pasion, I only use rashguards, but this year weather have been unpredictable here in PR and I been in the need of one, I got a 1.5 Dalak from Ommer and I like it a lot, love the mesh inside and is one part, also got a Apnea 3mm 2 part open cell and it was ok, besides from too hot for me i dont like the idea of lubricatin it:D, it feels strange:0, also the 2 parts was too much material in the middle part of the body, but it moves great and sticks to the body, sometimes I only use the top part and was thinking of getting some short neopreme pants.

Pucho

Pucho
    Aguadilla, Puerto Rico

• New for 2008 is the Tecnica wetsuit. It features 3.5 or 5mm high stretch Ultraspan neoprene and durable nylon. the upper jacket and attaced hood utilizes our popular camouflage design, which is excellent for spearfishing. The inside of the suite is coated with black metalite. Black metalite is a very warm, yet durable neoprene skin material that allows for easy suit entry and exit. The knees and elbows are reinforced with abrasion resistant Powertex. A Powertex pad is located in the center of the chest area to facilitate spear gun loading. Convenient toggle fasteners are used to secure the jacket.

I really like this suit. And i'm thinking of getting one. I have owned 4 OMER wetsuits. 3 of them broke very fast. Open cell is not durable. I'm looking for something that have materials that are more durable and hard. 3.5mm is warm enough for me. Even in waters of 64 dgrees. 5mm for me is like been in an oven. I still own one. and i can tell you. Is not Open Cell, and still overheats me. I dont know exactly the type of conditions where Tin Man Dive. But i recommend 3.5 all the way. And i never recommend Open cell. Because i know the wetsuits get the more beating while at the boat. Lots of sharp pointed objects. And parts of the boat that have small corners or round objects that can get sticky on the suit and brake it. Stuff that the regular neoprene will hold. It has happen to me and friends a lot. What you guys think? In a 5mm if you have to swim constantly against current , you will tire fast or dehydrate even in colder waters. Not all frediving you are at the surface not moving, unless drifting when using boat. Then 5mm will be ok for me. But i know, i know we all different. Just putting my thoughts and my experience here:D, dont blast me:)