Contractions

• ...No not the ones during birth.

I know this answer may vary based on individual physiology and experience.

I was curious as to how many contractions (diaphragm) movements you guys practicing aspetto (waiting on the bottom) go through before you think it's time to surface. Also, what's going through your mind during these contractions? One of my friends tends to count his contractions as a way to "fight" it.

I tend to go through at least 2-3 depending on the depth before I start to head up for the surface.

Thanks and dive safe!

• I very rarely get contractions. When I do it's a sure sign I'm no longer comfortable. I know I can suppress or disregard them, but one would be enough to send me to the surface. There can be an exception, if I think that another few seconds will definitely give me a shot at a fish. But at that point I'd be on high alert, very conscious of the danger I'm putting myself in. Not that contractions in themselves mean I'm out of air. Just that like I said, I'm no longer comfortable and relaxed, and that's not how I want to dive.

• I respectfully disagree with what you say, because you're already close to the limit in the third diaphragmatic contraction, and if at that time you see a big fish who makes you wait a little longer, then the action of fishing after shot forces you to go the extra mile mmmmm.

* It is very risky, very close to an accident.

:toast:

Sadot Hernàndez.

• I agree with Dan. If I get to the point of contractions I am going to surface or will very soon. I do not believe I have ever stayed down until a third set of contractions. Usually I surface after one

To me, I know that I can hold my breath a while but it depends on rest, breathe up, hydration and many other factors. When my body is telling me I need air, I generally listen

i like to spear fish

• I think of my contractions as my halfway marker, I tend to start thinking about surfaceing at the first although I am usually comfortable with two in the 50 ft range

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• I've had contractions….gentle ones…..but didn't really feel the need to breath. And that's exactly why I surfaced right away. I probably had over breathed up…hyperventilated….and tricked my body. The CO2 is there but there's enough oxygen at depth due to partial pressure to make me still feel comfortable.

I really noticed that one day when Jake and I were breathing up off an oxygen bottle. (we were trying it laying on the floor at the hatchery) I got to 6 and a half minutes and started getting long, slow contractions but felt no urge to breath. I wasn't sure what was going to happen so I stopped and breathed. The high oxygen was for sure tricking my body.

Having learned that on pure O2, I'm very careful and surface when I get the first ones.

• I can't say contractions are always a sign of needing to breathe. I've had them early in a dive pushed on and felt fine after, also not till just before I break surface and feel like I was lucky to make it.
    For me it's when I feel any discomfort or a contraction that is uncomfortable to let me know its time to surface.

• I generally don't push a dive to the point that I get contractions. But If I get them is really depends on how deep I am. If I'm in a shallow spot <30' a few contractions are okay. If I'm in 70' get a contraction on the bottom it's time to head up asap.

• I can't say contractions are always a sign of needing to breathe. I've had them early in a dive pushed on and felt fine after, also not till just before I break surface and feel like I was lucky to make it.
    For me it's when I feel any discomfort or a contraction that is uncomfortable to let me know its time to surface.

I completely agree. The essence of safe diving is to learn your body's signals. If you don't know how you feel when you dive then you don't know how you feel when something is wrong.
    Learn your body and listen to it.

i like to spear fish

• I'm not a terribly good diver. But I have been doing a lot of research. One of the videos I came across was this one. At about 2:40 in the video he starts to explain his viewpoints and opinions on contractions. He seems to think they are actually a good thing? at around 4:00 he gives his own experience with some positive results. I suggest watching the whole thing. What do you guys think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bCgqcMh9xA

Edited once, last by Liquid: vid ().

• I'm not a terribly good diver. But I have been doing a lot of research. One of the videos I came across was this one. At about 2:40 in the video he starts to explain his viewpoints and opinions on contractions. He seems to think they are actually a good thing? at around 4:00 he gives his own experience with some positive results. I suggest watching the whole thing. What do you guys think?

Freediving How to hold your breath longer - Breathe up techniques - YouTube

. Why push it? No fish s worth it. Dive to YOUR comfort safe zone.

Edited once, last by Oscar ().

• I am most comfortable after a shallow negative dive (with a couple contractions) to start the day. I rarely experience contractions while hunting.

"Whiskey don't make liars, it just makes fools. So, I didn't mean to say it, but I meant what I said."
    -James McMurtry