kayak rigging suggestions

• here are some things I have done to enhance my yak/spearo existence

feel free to pm me for any instructions or additional pics.

thought I would share these for anyone else who is looking to gear up their kayak- i know I love looking through the net for ideas so I thought I would add some pics for others to use

first is a quick access for the rear hatch (I tend to only use the front one for extra gear as i prefer not to have weight in the front)
    I came up with this for the ability to get into it very quickly and easily (even when wearing gloves) and still have it secure and there is an option to make it extra tight if you are in rough water.
    open:

closed normally :

closed tightly:

this is just a quick shot of the anchor trolley, some reflective tape (adds a lot of visibility ESPECIALLY at night, and the drain plug

this is a really nice speargun holder- it is just two hook and loop straps (97 cents at west marine) 2 ss washer and 2 rivets. I run one through the trigger and around the stock and the other just around the top of the stock (sometimes through the bands) and the gun is not going anywhere.
    the red arrows point to them and the blue is just a regular paddle holder rig

up close

and here is a really easy to make paddle holder that I made out of pieces of scrap

i like to spear fish

• hey monster slayer, the yellow velcro strap that he is using, is a cord wrap from west marine. you can also use a velcro strap from the freestyle watches or you can even make your own.

go to a hardware store and get a pack of velcro and have a male end and a female end in the other side.

You just need to change your perspective on the way u see things. a trip to the hardware store can be a lot of fun, for me a plastic shoe box with interlocking lids turned into the perfect storage for my 510 lure/takcle boxes (the small plastic seethru ones) and it fits perfectly behind my seat in my prowler 13.

everytime u look @ something look at it with the riiging vision, not the consumer vision and you'll be ok

• were you get the rivet for the kayak? any special tool to mount them? A friend gave a kayak because it was leaking, I found the small crak on the bottom and would like to prepare it for fishing and spearing.

Pucho

Pucho
    Aguadilla, Puerto Rico

• The kayak store in Ft. Lauderdale sells SS rivets to use with rigging. They have a black top and match nicely with black plastic components. I also found SS rivets in West Marine These were steel color and damn expensive, $1.50 per rivet (large size).

• If you want to use pop rivets on a boat, and need to minimize water leaking through, look into "sealing end rivets" at McMaster. They are vailable in aluminum or stainless, and cost more like $7-$14 for a box of 25-50 for most sizes. I found them to work MUCH better than open ended pop rivets for repairing thin aluminum boats, but I can't say that I have ever tried them on plastic.

First pic is the sealing rivet. The second and third are other styles that work very well on softer materials like plastic. I used them once to attach a thin plastic measuring tape to the top of a plastic ice chest.

Images

• 97524a031_search.gif
    • 93372a315_search.gif
    • 97545a010_search.gif

Edited 2 times, last by Guest ().

• i just use some silicon on the hole and the rivet....the ones I use are the kind on the right, but they are much longer...I'll get a pic later....they have a wider interior hold and therefore a greater strength hold on the plastic...if you could get a washer on the inside, I agree the left ones would be surerior

i like to spear fish

• Pucho.. about the rivets, I got some ss and another aluminum ones at home depot and they where not that expensive. You can also do like lunker and get them on ebay.

Pucho, another thing you can do to fix your kayak the RIGHT WAY, not the puertorican way is to get your hands on a plastic welder gun. You can order this at harbor freight tools for $50 or probably at any specialty tool store in Puerto Rico. Just make sure that you are getting the 110 volt unless you have an air compressor then u can get the one for the air compressor. You can find some helpfull videos on you tube for this. Also, you can call the kayak manufacturer and tell them that you need to repair one of their kayaks and most likely they'll send you a few of the same color plastic rods that you'll need.

Monster, an easy and useful way to mount a dive flag on your yak, I use one of my scotty style rod holders put a 7'7" fishing rod (without the reel) and slip on a dive flag to the top of the rod. This way it stands taller and about an eye level view of your average boater. This way they are most likely to see your flag easier than if it was at a lower level.

• So since the weathers so foul i figured id get a few things done after school that otherwise id ignore. BTW neither of these changes were ideas of my own the flag pole is the same hau uses and the velcro straps are i believe the same as lunkerbusters. The flagpole is from kmart and is actually a bicycle flag pole i guess for children or old people or safety gurus. The idea behind it for me was that its so flexible it can permanently afixed to the yak and then bent over and tied down for while your on the move.. Becasue my yak is so short, though, i couldnt do it that way. No matter where i would of installed it once bent over it would of gotten in the way of where i my arms and paddle would be flailing about while paddling. Luckily a tube of epoxy i have fits perfectly into one of my rear scupper holes. So i cut it in half, drilled a hole in the bottem and then epoxyed the base of the flag into the tube. so while tying it down would of been much more conveniant, i can slip it into the same velcro straps that hold the gun. easy enough. obviously the straps are in place with stainless steal casue i dont want to deal with rust in a week. also the straps can be a lot tighter than in the picture,, and while it seems like the gun is held there in an awkward place its really the best for me considering my yak is so short that anywhere further forward would be in the way.
    If anyone thinks my little rig has its faults trust me i know, but youd calll me a genius if you saw it compared to how i did things before.

Scupper Pro Gives You Wings!

• looking good buddy,i like the rigging. post a pic of the flag up if you would

you might want to add a padeye or cleat on the front so you can anchor up at that point...I think you need a bucket for the back too:)

you will find that the better your yak is tailored to you, the better your overall diving experience.

i like to spear fish

• i agree judah.., i need something to shade caught fish or even better a cooler, but the size cooler i would need to fit fish wont fit in that area.. once fins mask anchor anchor line weight belt and everything else is stowed this thing looks like its ready to siink,, so room is somehwat sparse for things like that.. and i use the side cleat for anchoring when the current is minimal or the front little eyelet when currents stronger

Scupper Pro Gives You Wings!