Best band/Shaft configuration for a railgun

• True but that's why I have two bands on my 120. One band in 10 ft visibility does the job and when the mackerel, barracuda, permit or whatever show up I can make a penetration shot on a midwater fish. My two cents is my gun must be versatile as the warm waters we shoot in isn't predictable.

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

Edited once, last by Dude george ().

• This has been discussed in another post. I don't like double wrap. I think that one gives you plenty of range. I used to have double wrap a while back, but a couple holed reef fish made me change my setup to single.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• I must look for that post Marco, I would like to understand why a single wrap would work.

George Steele

• If I'm using an euro 110, which is what I use, with one single wrap the range from my eyes would be: 1 mt (arm) + 1.1 mt (speargun) + 3.3 mt (shooting line) + 1.4 mt (shaft). That's a total of 6.8 meters / 22.44 feet. I'm not able to hit ANYTHING at that distance.

If you have a double wrap, it may be better for bluewater, but if you shoot a fish in the reef or a wreck, there's a lot of possibility it will hole up and/or tangle. You won't have time to stop its run before it happens. I'm talking in first person experience.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• Sounds very sensible guys, but funnily my experiences have been the opposite with too few raps, for me I shoot the fish it then has that first violent run (not blue water as my shooting line is attached breakaway most times) and if that first violent run has any resistance most times I used to lose the fish... I found that with 2 wraps without reel and with reel 2 shooting line and one reel gives the least resistance to any fish. But then I am no mammalian mutant like you Marco shooting a fish in 100 ft of water and trying to come up with it :D I almost always surface then deal with the fish issue.

George Steele

Edited once, last by Dude george ().

• Hello guys, thank you for your advice. I got the gun wet today with a single short 20 mm band (30") and my findings are.

Pros.

The gun is accurate with that set up

the power is ok. (what I mean by that is it has enough power to land any fish within range)

Is faster to load than any other guns

No noticeable recoil.

COns

The gun is not that manuverable (130) it actually feels cumbersome in the reef

Is not that good for bluewater though, lacks power for "real" bluewater.

It´s a bitch to load!!

Sorry no pics, but I promess some in my next update.

Bottomline: I liked the gun but I need to find its real purpose among my spearfishing needs. Thank you all for your advice and opinions.

I have just one wrap of line by the way.

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• I had a 3 X 14mm band configuration in a 140 railgun and I like it:cool2:

Trata con 3 de 14 mm bro, medias no muy cortas a mi me gusta, se carga rápido y fácil con esas gomitas y es más que 2 X 16.

Si no te gustan me las quedo, me dices a dónde y cuánto te deposito que también tengo un 130;)

Saludos y buen azul.

Sadot Hernàndez.

• These are the comparatives in terms of length and thickness between the original 16 and the upgraded single 20 mm band. I think is the best configuration for a railgun since 2 bands are more powerful but are less accurate, render the gun less manuverable and they have more recoil. I think there´s no point rigging multiple bands in a railgun, since that defeats the purpose of manuverability and easy carrying of that kind of set up. Just my opinion.

• A mi me da pereza cargar una de 20 jajajajaj prefiero mis 3 gomitas de nenaza:laughing: Saludos bro.;)

Sadot Hernàndez.

• true but that's why i have two bands on my 120. One band in 10 ft visibility does the job and when the mackerel, barracuda, permit or whatever show up i can make a penetration shot on a midwater fish. My two cents is my gun must be versatile as the warm waters we shoot in isn't predictable.

like :D

• Addendum: This is what I think and I`m not intending to be discovering the wheel nor taking my choices as
    gospel. My thoughts on this are: " Since a railgun is better suited with just one wrap of shooting line, two bands are redundant. They could render the gun more powerful but not more accurate. I guess one thight band is the way to go for me" HArder to load, but faster.

• That´s a mine pretty close to the shore and they have a pier that goes deep into the ocean, and there are tons of fish around, Is the closest thing that we have to an oil rig. There are better beaches tho. but that one produces some real fish.

The bands are really easy to load, but they are not as hard as a single 20 mm but they´re more powerful ! 14+14 = 28 so is a bit more powerful than a single banded gun with less recoil. :)

• monster slayer---nice fish brother:D GREAT picture :D AND perfect wife to buy you this gun "as a token of appreciation" :thumbsup2:
    I am now shooting a 130 Euro gun and JUST switched to 3 X14mm X 27inch small id bands from FreediveStore.com and this set up ROCKS for me. I do not know about other spearos, but the hardest thing (for me) about chest loading a gun is the stage in the loading process that I call 2nd stage of the loading process. (For me the first stage is to grasp the grip in one hand, the band in the other hand and throwing the gun up into my chest.) Then comes the HARDEST and most limiting 2nd step for me, which is reaching around with my grip(handle) hand to grab the band that I am holding onto. This, for me is THE hardest part of loading. Once I get both hands on the band I can crank that band all the way back to the furthest fin/notch no problem. Longer guns or shorter bands made this 2nd step hardest for me before I switched out my bands to 14mm. Before, any gun that had a 55inch or longer pull was limited by my ability to get my second hand on the band. An example of this is my last gun. It is a 130 that is 59inch from the back of the band slot to the butt. Before, it was my limit to pull the 2 factory 32inch 16mm bands. After changing to 3--14mm bands, I can pull 3--27in band with 2in wishbones. I am not good at math, but I can tell you that my 7mm spear is noticeably faster now, that the bands lay REALLY flat/tight to my barrel, that the recoil FEELS smoother, accuracy is increased now AND I do not dread loading the gun each time. Check it out yourself, 14mm FreediveStore small id is not expensive and ties up really great and will really power up your rail/euro gun. (Just my opinion)
    Sorry this got so long,
    hope this helps

SPEARFISHING and RECREATIONAL FISHING NEEDS THE NRA
    Spearfishing Store

Edited 2 times, last by hau ().