Is it food or Glory?

• What´s the real reason for you to get involved in spearfishing?

Is it to get food or just the need for Glory and to be praised by your friends and others?

For me is actually both, but is more about Glory than anything else. Indeed.

I mean the adrenaline shot, the risk and of course the fish. All that involves "Glory" for me. It´ s just a glorious and adictive feeling.

What do you think?

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• Adventure and most importantly for me is the aesthetic value. The ability to appreciate the aesthetic value of creation is unique to humans only, that is why we experience the feeling of ' awesome '. Glory is not important to me because I am already "a legend in my own mind"!

• Maybe it's an outlook related to age BUT for me it's the sheer joy of being in the water and enjoying mother ocean. Yes, I still will take one or two fish to feed the family or better yet - let my son do it while I watch and offer advice. A day on the water and nothing taken is still a GREAT day .

I think the glory part ended around age 20 or so for me. :D

Then there is Hank - almost 60 with kids and family to feed over three continents from age 1 month to grand kids age one month and who knows how many wives. He HAS got to spear LOTS of fish :laughing3:

• Maybe it's an outlook related to age BUT for me it's the sheer joy of being in the water and enjoying mother ocean. Yes, I still will take one or two fish to feed the family or better yet - let my son do it while I watch and offer advice. A day on the water and nothing taken is still a GREAT day .

Then there is Hank - almost 60 with kids and family to feed over three continents from age 1 month to grand kids age one month and who knows how many wives. He HAS got to spear LOTS of fish :laughing3:

This ^^^ is near perfect for me too. And I also enjoy sharing and learning from other spearos.

• Whew....just finding time to post. Had to change diapers and feed the babies....not to mention the millions I have in the hatchery....:)

It's just another thing to do in the ocean. If we had surf in Belize I'd still be surfing. Body surfing...I want to get a sailboat.

It's great exercise. It takes me till Tuesday to recover from diving on Sunday.
    And yes, it does put food on the table, but only for the family on this continent. :)

And it is really cool with technology today...sharing and ....well, bragging about fish. I've met some very fine people through spearfishing.

And it's become a family thing here. Three sons....keeps them off the street. :laughing:

Yep. Hope this wasn't too long of an answer....

• All the reasons stated above for glory :D Sorry I dont have millions in the hatchery or otherwise :laughing:
    Honestly its the challenge, I work on the water for a living, and have since i was 18. I dont need a good day on the water ;) in the water 5 days a week, the other two I try to be pushing my limits and killing the biggest sustainably caught fish I can. Not 2 proud 2 sell my fish either 2 buy more spearing stuff :@

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• Hank it got the best of me in the end :( But what a fight, dont think I could have shot it any better, shit just happens sometimes I guess... I was going down at him as fast as he was coming up at the chum. What a morning!! Marco thought he had a bad day the other day!! Wait till he sees my bitter sweet moment!
    Maybe i will upload it to youtube and share here.

George Steele

• Well, I won't call it glory, but I spearfish because I like being in the ocean and the challenge of fooling a smart fish.

However, my catch feed 4 families with high quality protein.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• Pues ahora pesco por costumbre y gusto, de manera submarina es que lo disfruto más, mi primera pieza fue en le malecón de Acapulco a los dos años me llevó y enseño padre, con cuerda de mano, tengo foto incluso el pañal puesto:laughing: así que desde entonces.;) Cómo dice Ramón lo traemos en el instinto.

Saludos.

Sadot Hernàndez.

• For me it's the challenge and the accomplishment, both physical and mental. There's nothing like the feeling of accomplishment from landing a challenging fish, especially when you've outsmarted a wary fish by understanding it's behavior or overcome difficult conditions - be it the sea, your physical condition or mindset. Of course, it's always good to get lucky once in a while!

• For me it's the challenge and the accomplishment, both physical and mental. There's nothing like the feeling of accomplishment from landing a challenging fish, especially when you've outsmarted a wary fish by understanding it's behavior or overcome difficult conditions - be it the sea, your physical condition or mindset. Of course, it's always good to get lucky once in a while!

Well stated!

George Steele

Great Words Sir!

Are you from Perú/ Argentina?

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver