Hello Everyone!

• Hey guys,

It's great to finally be part of the forum. I've been watching what you guys do and have received good info from your posts as a non-member. My name is Michael, I live in South-Florida and recently got bit by the spearfishing bug. This is a virus that I don't mind having :D. It started out with some fishing trips to the Keys. I went to Key West a few times over the Summer and didn't catch anything valuable (Grunts), so i decided I would take the next step by going in the water and spearing them the hard way, lol. I've only technically been on one spearfishing trip but I did catch my first fish, an Amberjack off of Biscayne. I felt really happy because most people I speak to say they didn't catch anything on their first trip.

I plan to do some spearing over the Winter-break and look forward to meeting you guys. Let me know if anyone is down to do some spearing off Miami beach or Hollywood. I have an OMER 75 Cayman which I plan to trick out. I want a RA Tuna 110 but I don't think I'm ready for that yet. *Fun fact* sharks freak me out but once I'm in the water long enough I tend to worry less. My username is Royakdiver because I purchased a groovy "Royak sit-on-top kayak" from the 70's, from my neighbor. This is a cool-looking kayak and has held up nice for it's age. It is a hard shell kayak with the polyethylene under the hard plastic. The history behind the making of this kayak is very interesting. The Royak is almost ready to do some spearing and I'll be posting some pics in the near future.

Before I bore you guys, I'm glad to finally be a part of this community and hopefully I'll see you guys out on the water and here on the forum. Let me know if anyone will be spearing in South Florida for the Winter-break.

Thank you!

• Thanks for the warm welcome guys! My profile pic is actually a tele I found online but I'm currently building one to look similar. I need to get a cool profile pic like you guys, in the meantime that will do, lol!

• Not to derail your welcome thread....but are you building from scratch? or from US Custom or Warmoth? I have built 4 Warmoth stratocasters. Good fun. Jumbo ss frets, Lindy Fralin blues pickups, Schaller locking tuners...Hipshot tremolo...I want to make a telecaster and play just like Albert Collins. :@:thumbsup2:...haha. Yep.

• Not to derail your welcome thread....but are you building from scratch? or from US Custom or Warmoth? I have built 4 Warmoth stratocasters. Good fun. Jumbo ss frets, Lindy Fralin blues pickups, Schaller locking tuners...Hipshot tremolo...I want to make a telecaster and play just like Albert Collins. :@:thumbsup2:...haha. Yep.

That sounds awesome hank! Just to be safe, is it ok to occasionally talk about topics not related to spearfishing? I think my tele pic was removed from my profile, not sure? I'm putting it together (partscaster). I purchased a Surf green body and I'm using some tele parts I had. The body came painted and with the routing already done. Warmoth has some good stuff but I'm basically building my tele off of ebay and amazon parts. Amazon has a nice vintage maple neck that I'm thinking of purchasing. It's the 1950's style neck with the truss rod adjustment at the heel. I want to make a 56' replica in surf green.
    I've had several Strats (Mexican) and I've never had a tele so I decided to change it up a little bit. Strats definitely have a special place in my heart, they play and feel great, a true icon. I want to jam out to some Muddy Waters tracks!

• Hey, it's your intro thread so talking stuff like this is just getting to know you....and you getting to know some folks here.
    Don't know what happened to your pic. I had a bunch on here that I "copied image address" from my Facebook page and pasted here in "insert image" option but I guess Facebook changed the image address because they have that blue question mark like yours.

I had a Strat copy and the frets wore out so I found Warmoth online. Bought a new neck and liked it so I started buying more. :D.
    My guitar playing has slowed a bit the last few years having a now 5 year old son and now a 2 month old daughter. But I still pick one up and play around as much as I can find time for.

It's amazing today. I started playing in about 1973 but it was hard to learn new things. Now, just go on YouTube and get private lessons for any song every written pretty much. I've been working on that Eagles song, Already Gone. I really like blues too. I'm 59 so 70s rock....yep. That's the best. :thumbsup2:

Great bunch of guys on here. It's been a bit slow lately but if you post some dead fish, everyone gets active. You can get a lot of good advice here too. Welcome again. :)

• I couldn't agree with you more, the internet and even youtube have helped guitarists learn to play. I've seen young kids on youtube shredding harder than Eddie Van Halen or Paul Gilbert. I used to play a lot more but when I want to learn a song I'll visit the ultimate guitar page:D

• I couldn't agree with you more, the internet and even youtube have helped guitarists learn to play. I've seen young kids on youtube shredding harder than Eddie Van Halen or Paul Gilbert. I used to play a lot more but when I want to learn a song I'll visit the ultimate guitar page:D

Haha yeah, I agree about the kids on youtube! They're insane!
    I suppose a derail into music isn't bad at all! :thumbsup2:
    I've played guitar with a few bands here, but I've mainly played heavier stuff :devil1:

I'd like to start a music thread on SD. It would be nice sharing youtube links of artists and bands that we listen to. Would be quite interesting.

Either way, Royakdiver, I can't wait to see some dead fish pics!:thumbsup2:

• Bunch of hippies..mumble mumble
    hahahahahhaahahahahahhh :laughing::laughing3:
    Seriously though, would be nice to start a music thread guys.

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• What do you consider to be heavy?

Haha yeah, I agree about the kids on youtube! They're insane!
    I suppose a derail into music isn't bad at all! :thumbsup2:
    I've played guitar with a few bands here, but I've mainly played heavier stuff :devil1:

I'd like to start a music thread on SD. It would be nice sharing youtube links of artists and bands that we listen to. Would be quite interesting.

Either way, Royakdiver, I can't wait to see some dead fish pics!:thumbsup2:

• What do you consider to be heavy?

I LOVE death metal! Bands like Death, Morbid Angel, Necrophagist, Obscura (more tech death though).
    I also enjoy some Prog rock and Progressive metal!
    I try to listen to a large variety of music, but I suppose my 'main genre' of interest has to be metal!

It doesn't stop me from playing in a traditional rock band though!:D

• Here's a Warmoth Strat I put together. It's not rocket science since they do such a find job building the components. I've actually changed this one though. It has a neck with a rosewood fretboard now and a Hipshot tremolo I took off a Peavey guitar I have. I traded a Wilkenson, like the gold one on this one It plays and feels as good as any Strat I pulled of the rack in a Guitar Center. IT plays well....I don't. :laughing:

• That is a nice strat, I love the gold hardware makes it look really fancy! Now that you have the rosewood neck are you trying to go for the SRV "Number one" look?

• Yeah, I wake up and throw if off the balcony and kick it around the yard a few times. It's getting there. Next, I have to put size 13 strings. :laughing:

Actually it does have the oblong "SRV" contour on the back of the neck and jumbo SS frets. I was kind of going for that look when I got it. Jake calls it "the Stevie". He's gotten SRV's version of Hideaway down pretty good.

Edited once, last by hank ().