the new guy

• hey guys n gals, brim here. i'm fairly inexperienced but having started in middle caicos n spent a few days in the keys, years apart. i'm heading back to the keys in a few weeks n wanted to read up a bit.
    seems like a nice place, hope to meet a few of you.

• thanks for the warm welcome guys! quick question....i'm wanting to lengthen my cord on a biller gun, is it ok to just get a longer cord and do a 3rd loop??? i have a 48" and believe it will give me approximately 6 more feet. thank you!

• Yeah, I did that on my old biller.
    Get a long stretching bungee for the line!

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• You can do it but I don't think the biller is effective to even one wrap of line.

i didn't ask your opinion on the gun...looks like this is going to be a short visit here.

• It's about fighting line Dan not range, no reel on those guns

I don't think so George. Most beginners who ask this question are looking to get more range. It makes no sense to lengthen shooting line just to fight a fish. For that there's the float line.

But if anyone's into that kind of nonsense, here's the perfect thing for you Speargun Auto Coil, 6 Feet.

• I don't think so George. Most beginners who ask this question are looking to get more range. It makes no sense to lengthen shooting line just to fight a fish. For that there's the float line.

But if anyone's into that kind of nonsense, here's the perfect thing for you Speargun Auto Coil, 6 Feet.

https://spearfishing.world/ima…rgun-coil_zpsb4c7450e.jpg

I actually saw the aftermath of someone shooting an Amberjack with one of those on his gun. It was just a little squiggly broke piece of mono left.

• thanks for the warm welcome guys! quick question....i'm wanting to lengthen my cord on a biller gun, is it ok to just get a longer cord and do a 3rd loop??? i have a 48" and believe it will give me approximately 6 more feet. thank you!

Are you thinking to get more range on smaller, wary fish? That might work if you power up the gun a bit with shorter or thicker bands. But then it'll probably kick like a Missouri mule. :)

Dan makes a good point. If you're thinking about fighting bigger fish, get a reel or a float line. Otherwise you might just lose your gun and fish....or worse. A 20 lb black grouper or cubera that doesn't want to come up if not stoned at 30-40 feet may cause you to let go of the gun.

And Dan's just being Dan about the Biller. Don't ask him about a free dive course or you'll really get him riled. :laughing:

• I used to shoot my biller 56 with 3 bands, two sixteen and one nineteen [emoji6] inaccurate as all hell but two wraps used to jerk the shooting line [emoji1] so I went with three, also the extra line helped me get to the surface sometimes after shooting a fish. After I shot a more modern gun I never shot my biller again, but I took down some lovely fish with that gun and learned a lot.

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• Welcome to the forum BRIM. Best part of this forum is you will get lots of opinions and thoughts.

Never thought much of those coiled lines, but that being said a Diver buddy of mine just loves them.

They are pretty easy to make coiling the Mono over a rod then heat in oven at low temp. Don't recall the Temp setting and soak time. One would need to look up properties of Mono.

• A colleague of mine at work uses the coils on a pneumatic speargun. He says that he wraps #300 mono around a piece of 1/2" pvc pipe, makes notches in the pipe to secure the mono, and places it in boiling water for a few seconds to set the shape. He then crimps it to his gun as you would any other mono. He only shoots smaller fish though, probably around 10 lbs max from what I have observed.

Welcome to the board.

KC