first gun advice!!

• I haven't mastered the chest loading yet but getting better at it. Cant wait to see/use my new gun the Phantom the anticipation is kinda killing me.

• I haven't mastered the chest loading yet but getting better at it. Cant wait to see/use my new gun the Phantom the anticipation is kinda killing me.

Check out YouTube they have videos that show you how to do it. It's more technique than muscle (90/10). I have a scar right below my sternum from chest loading in the summer time with only a rash guard on. Thank goodness for adrenaline and the fish that took my mind of of it at that moment lol.

Relax & Go Spearfishing

Just make sure to grab the bands with an overhand grip. I think that is the most common mistake people make when trying to load a rear handled speargun. :toast:

• Just make sure to grab the bands with an overhand grip. I think that is the most common mistake people make when trying to load a rear handled speargun. :toast:

This actually raises an interesting question. Wonder which grip the majority of you all use - and why. I have mostly been a hip loader most of my like employing the pals up grip. Even when I try the chest loading methodology, I still utilize the palms up grip and have been curious for some time on what grip others use - and why. Perhaps this should have its own thread!

Edited once, last by Oscar ().

• This actually raises an interesting question. Wonder which grip the majority of you all use - and why. I have mostly been a hip loader most of my like employing the pals up grip. Even when I try the chest loading methodology, I still utilize the palms up grip and have been curious for some time on what grip others use - and why. Perhaps this should have its own thread!

I chest load my guns palms up. I could always curl more weight palms up than palms down. I do that exercise on my bow flex just for that. (I've had that thing for 13 years now….shit)

• I chest load my guns palms up. I could always curl more weight palms up than palms down. I do that exercise on my bow flex just for that. (I've had that thing for 13 years now….shit)

I do both depending on whats going on, but almost ALWAYS palms down... you start loading 4 tight bands on the last notch of a 65 inch gun and you master the nuances pretty quickly!!

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• I use palms down out of habit from properly chest loading since I started spearfishing. I think you're using different muscles depending upon which method you use. I'm pretty sure palms down is more efficient in regards to chest loading though, try both and see especially when you load to that last notch/tab close to your chest.

Relax & Go Spearfishing

• Remember that I'm pretty much using feminine bands so I don't need that extra grunt at the end to hook the shark fin.

If I'm not too lazy to reach all the way out, I can hip load my 55 Wongs with my girl bands. :D

• Remember that I'm pretty much using feminine bands so I don't need that extra grunt at the end to hook the shark fin.

If I'm not too lazy to reach all the way out, I can hip load my 55 Wongs with my girl bands. :D

Just wait until you get to your 70's - damn hard to maintain muscle mass. I might need to change ALL of my long 14 mm bands to 12 then 10 mm and don't want to hear anything about the big muscle in the skull haha