Hi everyone

• Hi everyone.

Coming to you from Taiwan. (expat)
    I've been keen to get stuck in for quite a while, so finally took the plunge.

I started a few months back and haven't really done too many dives but here's my experience.

I got myself a 5ft polespear. Well as you can imagine, one has to be kind face to face with anything to get a shot in and anything that comes in that close is going to be small, especially in good viz. This has forced me to practice my stalking skills as the fish are pretty wary of me now. Unfortunately I haven't caught anything of size yet but that doesn't bother me too much because I'm having fun.

However, something did happen to me that I think is of some significance and think I should share.

I was out one day and diving to about 10m when all of a sudden I had a sharp pain just behind my eye. I surfaced immediately, to equalise, blow my nose and headed back down after a few minutes surface time. Went down again to a few meters and again, sharp pain. I decided to stop the dive as there was no pain while on the surface. I must have ruptured a blood vessel as I was blowing blood and snot out for a few days after. I haven't dived since.

I have a few questions I hope some folks can answer. Can anyone advise me on the blood experience?
    Where can I get american shafts for neptonics trigger mech in Taiwan without having to import them?

Thanks for the forum and happy diving.

• Welcome to Speardiver. Not had any blood issues before. I stop going down if I can't clear. Pain is way to say STOP.

Neptonics sells out of Australia, that might help.

Or try Peter Fearnside at "One Breath Diving" also in Australia. Peter is pretty good on providing info, he might have local source for you to trade with.

• Welcome and good luck with your pain/bloodied issue. Certainly don't want to push it. Good luck finding equipment you need in Taiwan.

I am curios as to the environment you dive in - how is the water in regards to clarity and temperatures and the quality of coral reefs. Again welcome and good luck finding equipment.

• Welcome!
    I had a similar experience with rupturing something in my upper sinuses. For me it was shortly after getting over a cold and I made a few dives, (shallow 10-15') with little problems, then when I hit 20' I heard a squeak then a pop. I bled for about a week and decided to stay out of the water for a few weeks after it stopped. I'm guessing that it was leftover congestion that caused it for me. I used a netipot while recovering and it seemed to help wash out the blood. I then used it before my next few dives to help make clearing easier on me. There's a few threads on here about netipots that might help you out so it doesn't happen again. Take it easy your next time out and stop before the pain. Good luck

• Welcome to Speardiver.

Upper sinus pain can feel like eye pain. Just take a break from diving and let it heal. In the future make sure you're equalizing sufficiently and easily. Diving with a cold/stuffed up makes equalizing difficult.

• Thanks for the responses.

Linghunt thanks for the lead. Peter is a helpful guy.

Oscar - The conditions I have experienced has been of viz of 3-10m. The temp. ranges from 20 - 25C (according to surf-forecast.com). As for the coral there's plenty...in the shop windows!!! Yup, there's a big market for red coral especially. So I guess thats what happened to all the coral. Makes me mad! Nevertheless there are still some colorful fish about but at the rate these guys fish...not for much longer.

Treebilly3 - That's similar to my expeience - squeak, pain! Thanks for the netipot advice.

Dan - thanks for your thoughts and advice.

Thanks again for this forum. There's still plenty to learn so the journey continues.
    Happy diving

• Oscar here is an article I found that answers your question better than my brief description.

https://syurati.wordpress.com/…the-thrill-of-freediving/

Ni How Rookie.

I found this rather interesting. Warm wate, great Viz, decent structure (Green Island Video) but wow so little sea life. The comparison to Japan was interesting. I made several winter scuba recreational dives in Japan (in a snow storm twice with dry suit) and was very impressed by the sea life, water clarity, structure, etc.

I'm guessing you might have better luck finding pelagic fish than reef game fish. Sure looked devoid of sea life.

Xie Xie - does satisfy my curiosity. I spent a lot of time in the PRC and some of it along the coast and always wanted to dive to see what it was like but never had the opportunity.

Edited once, last by Oscar ().

• hi:)
    it sounds pretty much like your sinuses. i had the same problem when i started diving (it can feel like tooth pain, or pain in the jaw, or somewhere on the forehead near the eyebrows and nose)
    if you have it on one day, you can try to suck in salt water through your nose and blow it out again. sometimes this helps, but especially if you have a cold, it'll be hard to get it away immediately.

i got rid of that pain by doing the following:

from time to time i close my nose and do the equalizing thing and hold it that way for 20 seconds. this will widen the eustachian tube and the sinuses by time.
    before i go out on a diving trip, i clean my nose and sinuses by using a netipot. from my experience it's best to do this in a shower, as you can lean down your head as far as possible, which will make it easier to clean the sinuses.

these two things helped me pretty much and i almost never have any pain in my sinuses, except when i recently had a cold. there is some nose sprays that will do different things, like widen your sinuses or dissolve whatever is blocking the way.
    but nose sprays would be my last choice, as they are usually unhealthy and a few are even addictive..

hope this can help you
    safe diving:)
    have a nice day

Edited 2 times, last by Isaac ().

• Oscar - stoked you enjoyed the article. There are better places around Green Island and Taiwan itself but it is becoming more barren.

Isaac - thanks for that practical advice. I'll certainly be giving it a try.

Cheers