Starter Gun?

• Hey guys, i'm currently looking for a good beginner gun, but from what i have read while lurking :) The biggest mistake is buying a bad gun because you don't want to spend a lot. I have also read that a gun a lot of people love is the Speardiver Phantom? I was originally looking at Mako Pro 2nd Gens but i have seen quite a bit of poor reviews on that and nothing but praise for the phantom. So i guess my question is... How do they compare? I am currently purchasing all my gear that i'll need for spearfishing near Malibu and up and down the west coast so any recommendations are gladly accepted! This seems like a great forum with a lot of people who have true passion for the sport so i'm looking forward to learning a lot!

• The Speardiver Phantom is a bullet proof gun. The handle and muzzle are made of a very durable material. The trigger mech, sear, casing and line release are all stainless steel. You can't beat the price and quality. It's also now available with a carbon barrel, if you ever choose to upgrade.

• The Speardiver Phantom is a bullet proof gun. The handle and muzzle are made of a very durable material. The trigger mech, sear, casing and line release are all stainless steel. You can't beat the price and quality. It's also now available with a carbon barrel, if you ever choose to upgrade.

How would it be on the west coast? I am living in North Carolina at the moment but am moving to the Malibu area mid July. I would say my max depth is around 30' and i would be looking at fish probably no larger than 30 lbs (of course this is all estimates and this is something i'd slowly work up to) and this seems to be the perfect gun! Would the 90cm be a good choice? Thanks for the quick response!

• I can't think of any conditions that would preclude the use of this gun, unless of course you're going after 100lb tuna. The choice you need to make is what length is best suitable for your conditions. I'm no expert on California diving. Here in Florida 110 - 120cm is the go to size.

• When in your shoes I bought a mako predator. I used it for a short time before it literally snapped at the handle when I pulled the trigger. After that I got a speardiver gun from Dan with much less disastrous results lol. I am not from Cali but after reading a lot of stuff from Cali guys it's seems they all agree that for Southern California a 90cm is the go to gun size. If you do enough snooping you'll see fish of every caliber have been taken there with a 90cm pipegun.
    Good luck and welcome :)

Scupper Pro Gives You Wings!

• I can't thank either of you enough. I know i'm new here but you guys have been very helpful and i am looking forward to making my first purchase! These forums have been incredibly helpful and the people here are great. Thanks for your help :D

• I can't think of any conditions that would preclude the use of this gun, unless of course you're going after 100lb tuna. The choice you need to make is what length is best suitable for your conditions. I'm no expert on California diving. Here in Florida 110 - 120cm is the go to size.

Dan, quick question. I couldn't find a way to PM you so i thought i'd ask through here. I saw your post in Floats & Boards about using a small kayak as a float? I don't know if it'd fit in my car but i thought it was a really good idea and i was wondering if you ever followed through with it? I was originally looking at either the Banks Board or the Kayak Kaddy. I don't know if anyone on here has used that as a float, but saying i'm going to be doing almost all shore dives the kayak seemed like a better option. Sorry if i'm rambling, i am just really excited to finally follow through with something i've waned to do for a long time, and i want to do everything right because $$$ is not on my side. But, rather do it right and spend a base amount rather than to mess up and spend more! Thanks again!!!

• I never did use the small kayak because I have a banks board. I don't see any problem with the small kayak as a float, I'm just not sure if it would actually hold my weight as it is a kids kayak, or what its properties are as a boat. There's also nothing wrong with using a full size kayak, but I find it a lot of work to move around. But then I have a boat.

• I never did use the small kayak because I have a banks board. I don't see any problem with the small kayak as a float, I'm just not sure if it would actually hold my weight as it is a kids kayak, or what its properties are as a boat. There's also nothing wrong with using a full size kayak, but I find it a lot of work to move around. But then I have a boat.

Thank you again for all your help, it's nice to find people who are willing to help beginners without showing frustration!

• If your going to be diving in Malibu there is a lot of kelp. A banks board will be difficult to drag through the kelp. Guys up north do use them for abalone which can weigh a lot but are cumbersome to pull through the kelp foreests.

I would recommend a 90 -110 size gun. Lots of guys like the 110 as it allows for shooting larger fish like white sea bass and yellowtail which is harder to do with a 90. These fish can push 70 pounds. I have only taken one white sea bass and it was with my 90 (It weighted maybe 15 pounds) however I now use a 110 which I have used for yellowtail (also about 15 pounds). The 110 is my reef gun primarily. Either size will serve you well but you can bet you will eventually get another gun to add to your collection for different applications.

Good luck and have fun.

• Hookin is right. A 90 is OK for SoCal but IMHO a 100 minimum or perhaps a110 would be best since you will need/want larger gun sooner than later. Again, Hookin's comment about dragging any thing through the kelp is a PiTA. A good float line with a small carrot float (or no float) is best for SoCal. Maybe a compromise and 100cm is something to consider. Truth is - one Speargun s never going to fill all your needs.

Edit: had another thought - for SoCal, especially shore diving, get a white or yellow float line for hi vz!

Kelp carrot float: http://www.sturgillspearfishing.com/products/kelp-carrot

Edited 3 times, last by Oscar ().

• Hookin is right. A 90 is OK for SoCal but IMHO a 100 minimum or perhaps a110 would be best since you will need/want larger gun sooner than later. Again, Hookin's comment about dragging any thing through the kelp is a PiTA. A good float line with a small carrot float (or no float) is best for SoCal. Maybe a compromise and 100cm is something to consider. Truth is - one Speargun s never going to fill all your needs.

Edit: had another thought - for SoCal, especially shore diving, get a white or yellow float line for hi vz!

Kelp carrot float: Kelp Carrot | Sturgill Spearfishing

i've kind of been thinking about going with a full size kayak with a compartment for fish, kind of like the banks board has! That would also allow me to rod and reel fish while i take a little water and sandwich break :D Only problem is that i drive a 2013 Genesis Coupe and there are no roof racks.... i'll have to fold down all the seats and have it take up my whole car lol, any ideas for a good, cheap kayak? Thanks!

• I live right around here and a 100m is perfect in my opinion. Can handle yellows (buddy landed a 27lb with a 10) and WSB (heard of guys landing 40-60lbs on 100cm). Very good versatility to maneuver through kelp but enough power to punch through anything that comes your way.:thumbsup2: