Gear Setup Help?

• Well, I've been researching for hours and hours over the last couple of weeks and I've finally got a pretty solid list of things i want to purchase to start spearfishing, all help is greatly appreciated!

Wetsuit - Speardiver Predator Spearfishing Wetsuit (not sure what size i need, i'm 5'10 155 pounds so medium seems too small and large seems too large)

Socks - Speardiver Predator Socks (again not sure what size to get)

Speargun - Speardiver Phantom Speargun 90cm/ 2 16mm bands/ 6.5mm carbon steel

Gloves - Not sure

Float - 1 of the following: Banks Board/Kayak Kaddy/ DIY Boogie board

Knife - Not sure if there is a certain one that's better? was going to use a Tanto styles folding pocket knife

And of course a GoPro Hero4 Silver

Looking for any suggestions! Definitely need gloves, everyone's reviews on this gear set up and which float would be best, as well as a good brand for float line? Trying not to break the break on float line so i'm trying to keep that more inexpensive. Thanks!

• I can't help with the suit sizing or the boards but with the socks I wear 10 1/2 shoes and I get size large.

Gloves, I like the cheep atlas work glove when the waters above 50f. I don't see a reason to spend a lot on gloves if the waters warm.

If you already have the folder use it. If not one of the stiletto style kill knives will be more what you want. Like the speardiver predator or scrambler. I have a scrambler and it's a tuff little knife. Iv even used it to pry scallops off of rocks, though it's not built for that.

You didn't ask about fins. If you don't have good Freedive fins the money you'd spend on the gopro would be better used on a set.

Iv got to play with the speardiver phantom spear gun a little and iv been impressed with every thing about it including the price. you need not worry about making that choice. The size depends on you and what/where your hunting(I didn't see that listed)

I got my float line (poly rope) from the hardware store so don't think you need to go and drop $100 on that any time soon.
    Good luck!

• Yeah i already have fins/mask/snorkel from a old friend who used to dive so i didn't include that. Also, i will be fishing in SoCal and was told the 90 would be really good, and thank you for the shoe size help, i'm a 10 1/2 so i guess i'll be getting a large! Thanks!

Edited once, last by Austin ().

• Your wetsuit size is M.

If your foot size is 10.5 then you'll need XL or L socks, depending on how snug you like the fit.

Folding knife is not good, takes too long to open in an emergency situation. You may not appreciate this until you try doing it in cold water with thick gloves. A stiletto point is ideal. I prefer the Speardiver Skene knife for its low profile.

• Mask? Snorkel? Dan can fix you up. And a computer is nice though not as necessary as the other gear. It is nice to monitor your dives, especially as you're progressing and learning.

• Your wetsuit size is M.

If your foot size is 10.5 then you'll need XL or L socks, depending on how snug you like the fit.

Folding knife is not good, takes too long to open in an emergency situation. You may not appreciate this until you try doing it in cold water with thick gloves. A stiletto point is ideal. I prefer the Speardiver Skene knife for its low profile.

Can't thank you, or anyone else here enough. Slowly, but surely compiling my list! Would the predator be a good color? I'm not sure if that would cause me to stick out or anything? Thanks again! Also, i like that skene way more than mine, looks like i've got a new knife :laughing:

• Some divers consider the red suit ideal, highly visible on the surface, red disappears at depth.

So i've now got the mask/snorkel/fins and i will be ordering a gun, suit, socks, knife, abalone/scallop knife and getting some nylon cord from home depot as a float cord? would that work for a float cord? So now i just need to know what float and what gloves to get. I am now stuck. Any ideas? What do you guys use? Thanks

• Austin---IMO, do NOT buy nylon rope as a float line as most nylon lines will NOT float. Polypropylene line WILL float. Some spearos use braided poly from places like Home Depot as cheap/inexpensive float lines.
    hope this helps

• It says SoCal on your location, so I'd go with either 3mm or 5mm gloves, depending on the time of year and how well you deal with cold. Lots of body heat is lost through the hands and feet, so I prefer thicker gloves. They seem a little tight out of the water, but they loosen up once you get in.

Also, make sure whatever you get has a nice, tight fit around the wrists to minimize leakage into your suit.

Last, get some with some type of tactile grip, or Kevlar reinforcement if you can. It will extend the life of your gloves, help grip slippery things underwater, and prevent fish and lobster spines from getting you too much.

I've got the OMER Spider Gloves and I like them.

• I used to use the hammerhead ice line but now I use a neptonics float line. I also use a 50 foot homemade floatline and a reel on my guns. The ice line is cheap if you need to save some cash.