Hello divers!

• I've been "spearfishing" since the 70s, but only when I go to Algarve Portugal to visit family. Since I only hunted octopus until recently I only used a steel rod with a hook on the end. In the last few years I started to like eating fish, so I bought a speargun and started hunting fish, but they are much harder to catch, which led me to search for info online.

Out of the few forums I've checked out, this seems like a friendlier and more informative site.

• I've found that the best way is to stick the shaft (without firing) in the hole as far as it will go. Come to the surface and wait it out, after a minute or two the octopus will get irritated and make a run for it, thats when you shoot it.

• Not been asked about octopus. 1st dive in California, my buddy shot one with a speargun. He was struggling to get back up and it was a chore to get him untangled and the O-pus in the bag.

I'll see if I can find an old picture, was back in 1987. I was a young cherry back then...

I've seen a few of them since, but I leave them along.

Welcome to SPEARDIVER, look forward to pictures.

• Welcome so did you use the steel rod with the hook on it to hook the octopus then pull them out of the holes

Before I had a speargun, yes, but its much easier to use the method I described above.