Mako spearguns revolution.

• At last a company that will rock the spearfishing law of supply. All those overpriced spearguns with an insane mark up (compared with the firearms market for instance) will be dropping their prices or offering better deals. I am so getting an iconic pro 120, just for the pleasure ...:)

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• What about the wet suits? 50% better priced than competition easy. For the price of a Riffe cryptic camo, you get a mako suit and a speargun as well. I know you like their business model, cause i think you share the same philosophy. I.e. seahunter blades

• I guess you can say they chose a cost leadership vs prouduct differentiation strategy:D

Kudos to them for being able to so.:thumbsup2:

Just because something is unethical, it doesnt make it illegal. This is a thin line sometimes walked by in the business world.

• Just because something is unethical, it doesnt make it illegal. This is a thin line sometimes walked by in the business world.

It's called the Free Market...gotta love it.

The Elios and Diveskin are not one and the same. However, both are very good and in my opinion the best option around. For the price of a standard suit, you can obtain a custom made one that fits perfectly. As a disclaimer, I own an Elios.

• I guess you can say they chose a cost leadership vs prouduct differentiation strategy:D

Kudos to them for being able to so.:thumbsup2:

Man i am slow, please brake it up a bit for me... (it sounds interesting) what do you mean?

This is how I understand what Alan is saying. When marketing a product it is necessary to make a point why the consumer should buy your product because there are usually already similar products on the market. One often used strategy is confusing the consumer with small differences in the product that really don't amount to much but allow the manufacturer/reseller to make claims about their product being superior. At the same time making a direct comparison to other products difficult for the consumer who's trying to establish the value of the product for themselves.

The alternate strategy is to offer a similar, to the point of being almost the identical product, for cheaper. And going with the obvious strategy of why pay more for the same thing. At the same time making the original seller look bad to the consumer for having inflated prices. The down side of this for the reseller is that it creates price wars with other resellers which reduces the winnings for all. This is good however for the consumer who ends up paying less for the same thing. Free market, like Rolo said "Gotta love it".

• yes exactly. Mako's strategy was well thought out.

If they can operate at that level of profit, all the power to them. I wouldnt be surprised if this would cause other similar manufactures to match them and drop their prices to remain competitive. Simple econmics.

Those guys at mako didn't invent electricity, or something genius. they just did a little homework.

Edited once, last by Alan ().

• It worked with me so far, i am going to get an iconic pro speargun (a.k.a. Rabitech apex) sweet gun. In that price-brand war i think pelaj is doomed. I got rid of the kanji allready.

• I'm buddies with Erik of Sumora, but I gotta say that I agree with AV001 completely - Mako's strategy was executed well.

Mako found a way to circumvent the supply chain and undercut the heck out of Sumora. This may seem shady to some, but in reality... it's the parent company Rabitech's responsibility to protect and support their distributors. From what I understand, Rabitech protected South Africa, Australia, etc.... but not the United States. Mako executed their strategy well and created a big stir.

Mike Damm recently announced RA price drops, so it looks like the customers are gonna benefit from all of this. :)

• Viewing the issue from that scope is not fair from Rabitech to let that happened, Sumora is in an awkward situation to get down the prices to match Mako´s market advance. The offer is flashy though, cause it will attract several costumers. I had no intention to buy a rabitech for instance, but right now i guess a 250 usd for a great railgun (apex=iconic) it´s a steal. That may not affect some other high end gun makers, cause they have some specific and loyal customers. The unfair competition is among the Mako and the Z.A. railguns distributors in the U.S.A.

• One thing that hasn't been touched on; when price wars begin, especially in the economic times we're in, the end product will eventually suffer.

• Elios is from Italy and they make great wetsuits. I´ve had 4 of them.

On the other hand, gear prices in the USA are ridiculously high. If you compare with a normal european store, USA prices are 60-100% higher.

Speaking about "railguns", how much could be the cost of a piece of extruded alluminum pipe, two pieces of molded plastic and a small piece of steel (sear), made by the thousands and assembled in china or in South Africa...? :crazy:

IMO Mako brought things down to earth... :rolleyes1:

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.