Hammerhead X1 Speargun review

• Since There are no reviews on line about this model, I wanted to share with you guys my insights pertaining to it.

I've never had the opportunity to get any HH spearguns, so when I was in the market for a 140 railgun and I was about to get a Rob Allen tuna, but I came across a similar /American counterpart in the store, and since it was a bit less expensive than the RA, I took my chances with it... Here are my thoughts:

A nice looking and well built rig, with some odd shaped barrel, similar to an Omer ET Cayman, but with an open track instead. The first thing that popped up and was a nice feature was the all metal trigger mechanism, which is a reverse one and gives you a couple of + inches of band stretch, at the cost of having the line release located at the odd left.

The gun has its pros and cons:

Cons:

It had no insulation or seals, so it sunk like a log. Two other spearguns belonging to friends of mine have suffered from the same issue. They apparently lack final product inspection for quality.

One of the red bands broke at first pull, since that is a consumable, I guess is not a big deal.

The muzzle is a f^%+*g hassle, it's very difficult to string the line with bare hands, impossible wearing gloves.

The mother effing ( not emotionally) line realease located at left it's such a PITA

It's impossible to fit any other shafts into the mech, others than HH or Riffe euro, RA and even other american notches doesn't fit appropriately.

The black plastic that the handle was made out of is kind of brittle, so the trigger guard is a weak spot of the gun.

Pros

The gun is real sleek and in spite of being so large is confortable to dive with.

Its dead on, absolutely tack driverish accurate with twin 16mm 30" rubbers

It's very powerful, it's more powerful than any other gun in its class range due to the reverse mech and the fact it can accommodate both bands in the same recessed shark fin.

It has a built in RA compatible reel attachment, that works ok.

It has a very smooth trigger pull and all metal trigger mech

It's inexpensive.

CONCLUSIONS

I'd have loved that HH people had put more attention to details and had came up with a nicer version of a truly nice speargun. With some tweaks and twists it can be turned into a very capable underwater spearfishing platform...

Thanks for your attention.

w

• Thanks for the review Toño.

The Hammerhead X1 speargun is actually the Bucanero II speargun, with no special adaptations for the US market. Other than probably the rubber tubing which appears to be the red Hammerhead tubing.

When this speargun came on the market about 6 years ago there were reported issues with the line release. Adrian here has or at least had one, and I think I remember we rigged it together correct me if I'm wrong Adrian.

Overall I was not impressed with it, can't remember specifically why. I do remember getting a chuckle from the Hammerhead speargun description "engineered to have the shape of a Bonnethead shark" :)

Sphyrna_tiburo_SI.jpg

• Gracias por compartir tu experiencia Monster. La impresión que me deja es comprar solo la flecha :).

Ayer salí un rato al agua, con conocimiento de que estaba muy turbia y llevé un fusil Marc Valentin 90 con una flecha con muescas muy retrasadas y la verdad es que si se gana poder con el mech y muescas/aletas retrasadas. En el MV mucha presión de la goma al gatillo lo endurece , provocando fallos por el efecto del dedo hallando el gatillo. El mecanismo retrasado no es que no me guste, es en los que he probado , se vuelve un poco incomodo llevarlo al máximo, por otro lado la aleta de apoyo a mitad de la flecha ayuda mucho y se carga más fácil en 2 movimientos.

Creo que una buena flecha , apartando el tipo de acero, debe tener muescas o aletas muy retrasadas y la aleta de apoyo de carga, esta última como se agradece cuando se utiliza una goma 19mm.

Saludos y buenas pescas en tus aguas prodigiosas.

Un Hombre tiene que creer en algo.......
    Creo que me iré de pesca!!!

• José, muchas gracias por leer la reseña. Estoy de acuerdo contigo, el mecanismo reverso si da más jalón y distancia, pero es raro y hay que acostumbrarse. Los Marc Valentin son muy buenos. ¿En dónde estás ubicado?

Saludos

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• José, muchas gracias por leer la reseña. Estoy de acuerdo contigo, el mecanismo reverso si da más jalón y distancia, pero es raro y hay que acostumbrarse. Los Marc Valentin son muy buenos. ¿En dónde estás ubicado?

Saludos

Por nada Monster, un review imparcial y bien sustentado da gusto leerlo.

Vivo en Venezuela.

Saludos.

• Monster, aprovecho para colocar este speaguns Picasso Tuna, las dimensiones son para peces bien grandes, no tengo idea de efectividad-calidd,no veo reviews sobre el fusil y en el vídeo el slip tip se sale solo :( seguramente Dan como experto conocedor de tras bastidores de como se maneja este mundo del spearfishing puede aportar mucho sobre el fusil.

• Nice to know that Marco! Greek spearguns are very prestigious and this one seems to be bullet proof. At first I had some issues with the line tangling, but it was solved with a double wrap, the gun is so powerful that with just a wrap wasn't enough for relieving the reel from the pull of the line.

• I don't like two wraps. I don't think they bring anything positive. At least not in a non-bluewater gun. A 130 with a single wrap has a reach of +/-6 meters. I don't think I can hit anything that far.

Additionally, when you shot a snapper or a grouper, chances that it will hole with double wrap are almost 100%. I've tried in the past and got back to single wrap.

Regarding the video, it was like 5 years ago in Venezuela. We all had Speardiver wetsuits and I filmed Franco shooting a small Almaco Jack with his Bucanero. I bought it in Spain. I changed the bands though.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• I think a single wrap is the way to go, when it's an in line type of configuration, but with a reel attached the line keeps tangling with just one wrap, since the 140 is for open shots, It's ok. Every other gun that I have with the exception of rhe BW Island is rigged with a single wrap.

• Personalmente tenía la costumbre de usar 2 vueltas de monofilamento, práctica muy utilizada en neumáticos, que trasladé a los fusiles de goma, principalmente por el alcance, por ser más cortos y tiene flechas de menor longitud , la otra razón para el uso de 2 vueltas de monofilamento es el fondo abrasivo, y los peces de fondos, cudas que suelen arrastrarse por piedras, cuevas, coral, dañando mucho el monofilamento, por ejemplo: disparos a cudas que tienen salida tipo wahoo buscando fondo y hacen enredos en corales dañando muchos metros de mono y linea, pesco en zona de coral muy abrasivo, daña mucho el traje , tengo 20 guantes derecho nuevos y uno solo izquierdo y dañado^^ por ser la mano con que utilizo para agarrar y desplazarme por el fondo.

La doble vuelta se torna un problema en algunos libera hilos muy pequeños, y más si es de monofilamento >1.8mm , otras desventajas son, es el tiempo de carga que aumenta y mayor posibilidad de enredo... En fin, cada tipo pesca y técnica moldea la herramienta y el pescador la va adaptando. Ayer vi en vídeo brasileño un señor mayor pescando MEROS en profundidad en la que yo no pesco 8o y, en zona rocosa , El usaba un fusil que estimo era un 90, 2 gomas que tengo la impresión de ser mayores a 16mm, sacó hermosos meros, muchos, demasiados... Lo que quiero decir, se podría utilizar diferentes configuraciones de goma y flecha para hacer ese trabajo con igual eficacia. Cada pescador irá optimizando su herramienta de trabajo según su experiencia y criterio.:thumbup:

• I liked the look of the x1/bucanero. nice deep track, rigid alumunum barrel, good looking muzzle configuration. The handle looks very ergonomic and the trigger looks strong. It just didnt fit my hand, seemed to be reaching for the trigger way too much. Also the loading butt extension seemed a bit thin, like it could break fairly easily.

• I liked the look of the x1/bucanero. nice deep track, rigid alumunum barrel, good looking muzzle configuration. The handle looks very ergonomic and the trigger looks strong. It just didnt fit my hand, seemed to be reaching for the trigger way too much. Also the loading butt extension seemed a bit thin, like it could break fairly easily.

My thoughts exactly, I think the handle is ok, but the line release is a no no