The Three Amigos tackle Key West

• Harry, Jim, I and some other divers hit Key West for 3 days of spearfishing on may 7, 2009. We also had Ben (ny _er) join us on the last day. It was mainly an exploratory dive scouting for spots to hit on subsequent trips. All of us had bad luck with our guns. Harry had 2 pneumatics go on him, I had shooting lines break on both guns, and Jim lost a shaft after it penetrated a rock and we couldn't pull it out.

We tried all depths from Key West out to the beginning of Marquesas along the main reef line.

Main thing I noticed was there is ALOT of cudas and sharks. Each spot had at least one and whenever you shoot a fish they came in like it was a dinnner bell. I lost 2 nice yellow jacks to them.

We had little luck in the deeper ranges, although nice muttons were taken deep the fish per hour, (fph), wasn't worth spending time there. There was lack of structure deep, it was just a dropoff with no fish atracting features. The shallow water was a huge difference. There a huge isolated mounds with up to more than a 10' relief with caves lining the bottom.

We caugt mainly jacks and we found a super promising spot with a bunch of permit, schools of jacks, and big snapper.

Top fish of the trip, Jim with a monster yellowtail.

Some of the fish

The Jacks

The Reefers

and the b-pose

Davie Peguero

Edited 3 times, last by seaweed ().

• nice fish :thumbsup2:

long key is the same shit beautiful clear water, and no structure even the drop off is just a bank of sand and little trees.
    i think the trick to those places is towing someone behind the boat in deep water and finding a big coral head in the middle of nowhere.
    that is where the fish will be.

Edited once, last by Alan ().

• The Reefers????? You lost me with this one. Not at all what I was expecting...

On a serious note, thanks for the story and pics....:thumbsup2:

• What are the two fish at the left of the pic?

Thanks Dan, we were going for the Don Bailey, also known as el "el viejo encueruso".
    Those are AJ's the first one being 20+ pounds stoned by Harry with his 100cm pneumatic with 15mm rope shooting line.

Davie Peguero

• I think I've seen that poster on the highway, I always get a chuckle out of it. The guy's manly but he looks too cozy LOL

Those AJ look long, must be the camera angle.

i think the trick to those places is towing someone behind the boat in deep water and finding a big coral head in the middle of nowhere.
    that is where the fish will be.

I agree and think that it's true for anywhere. I'm willing to take an hour out of every dive day to do some scouting.

• I love Jim's Myspace Pose! :laughing3:

AJ was shot in 20ft of water under the boat when i jumped in.