Hand off the gun point up butt up?

• If you're in the water handing off your gun to someone in the boat, do you give it to them spear point up or butt up? I give it point up and I have good reasons for it. I believe that the person on the boat is in a better position to make a tactical approach to the gun (so as not to get poked) and if there's a sudden change in the position of the gun due to wave action/boat movement the man on the boat is also in a better position to take action to avoid the point of the gun. It's also possible that the man on the boat slip reaching for the gun and while seeking to brace himself inadvertently push down on the gun which in turn will poke the diver. For these reasons I don't mind at all taking guns from guys that are handing it to me point up. I can choose to grab it when I'm sure it's safe. Also when I hand it point up it doesn't mean I'm pointing the spear at the person, I angle it away from them.

• I agree with the point up approach for the exact reasons you listed, plus others, and that's generally the way we do it. With the added precaution of removing the slip tip when we remember to.

• I always carry a piece of rubber band in the tip of the shaft, which I remove into the water and place inside one of my gloves. Every time I get out from the water I put the rubber in place.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.