Blue Bonito

• Also known as false Albacore and little Tuna. Bear in mind I never hook and line so the only fish I get is spearfishing. I've been wanting to shoot this bonito for a while now because I find it very challenging, they appear fast out of nowhere, always zooming around like bullets and never stop moving.

Yesterday up north with Rolo, Emil and Alan I managed to shoot this one. It was a long shot as the fish was on the move away from me and I was kicking hard to catch up. I hit it just above the tail and it took off fast but it was a holding shot. I was concerned about the fish shaking the spear and played it gently. When it came within sight out of the blue from my left side came Emil with a solid backup shot, good call.

Later on the boat I was lightly made fun of because as it turns out bonito is not valued as a food fish. I never knew this because I never caught one. At worst I thought it will be dog food. I was proud of the shot and thought it was a beautiful fish. It's the closest I got to shooting something tuna like. I think the fish went around 8-9lb.

It's really built like a bullet. Check out this pic where you can see that the pectoral fin has a cavity behind it. When held flat against the body the fin fits exactly into this cavity and fish becomes super streamlined.

As promised the meat of the bonito is red like red wine.

I was also told that it tastes bad. I cooked a few small portions in different ways. The best way turned out to be to lightly season the small fillets and fry. The color change from wine red to gray reminded me of the cooking characteristics of liver, I bet it will be great with sauteed onions. The red meat although reminiscent of the very fishy tasting lateral line in most fish does not taste fishy at all. The texture and complete lack of fishy taste make it almost like eating some kind of land meat. I'm really sensitive to the fishy taste, I don't like it, and the bonito didn't have it.

I served my wife some and she said "que rico, es como si fuera carne" and asked what it's called. I mispronounced it and called it bonita which sealed the deal :) The bonito is not a big target for me but I think if I get a chance I will shoot another in the future. I have a preference for feeding my dog red fish meat anyways.

• Bonito is great in escabeche, also is great in lowering the bad colesterol.

Pucho

Pucho
    Aguadilla, Puerto Rico

• Yes there was a lot of blood.

About the "holding shot".. You can see the wound in the tail in the first pic, it was above the spine. When I was filleting the fish today I had to cut through the fish's topline in the area above the wound. I had a hard time doing it with a fillet knife. That topline is very tough and I'm not surprised it held the spear.

• Tail shot is a great shot. Somehow I have managed to put a spear through many tails lately :D and i can tell you. it´s a great place to hit the fis, even slows it down quite a bit. I am guessing that , since bonitos are so fast you aimed for the gill at the correct angle and the shot ended up there. Allways happens with fast fleeyin´fish. And it is well sized. Just be careful, bonito is a premier shark bait ! :)

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• Without prompting my wife told me today that she could eat bonito all day long and that the next time I see one to catch it.

That right there sounds like the early signs and symptoms of hydrargaria :D.

I'm not a big fan. I know Emil finds a certain part of the fish to be decent, but I believe he mainly eats it as sashimi. It must be handled well by bleeding it thoroughly and iceing it throughout. Too be honest, when I first saw it on the deck, I thought; "Awesome, someone shot some chum and maybe we would get some Kings to come out".

• after cleaning one and seing the flesh i could never get myself to eat one. the fish did not go to waste, gave it to my neibor and they loved it.