Versatile Gun

• I have 2 questions:

1) What is a good quality gun that can be used for scuba and freediving? I am trying to avoid buying 2 guns.

2) What is better, open or closed muzzle and why?

Thanks

• Open muzzle is better. It allows for quicker loading, simpler and more streamlined rigging, and the use of sharkfin tabs.

For scuba you want a hip loading gun, this means that it should have a butt extension. A Riffe competitor series speargun is always a good choice, Competitor #3 to be specific. The only drawback it has is that the handle is not ergonomic.

A step up would be a deathstick, a custom built gun, if you can get Ken Jones to make the stock somewhat slimmer. I also don't know what his new handle is like.

I will not recommend Wong because of the crappy Aimrite handle and because his guns tend to be too expensive for my taste. Not sure about the actual price of a Riffe clone.

I don't know if any of the other custom gun makers build guns with butt extensions.

• A metal tech 3 is the perfect gun for scuba
    A competitor 3 is the perfect all around gun for freediving.

If you go for just one gun you will facing the floatation versus non flotation trade off.

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• I also don't know what his new handle is like.

I have a couple early versions of his new handles to play with, and I think that they will be very popular. The grips are just rubbery enough to not feel slippery, and the shape is nice. It's just a little bigger than I would like, but I have small hands. I think most people are going to love it.

• A metal tech 3 is the perfect gun for scuba

I Agree in all my years spearfishing with Scuba i used a Sea Hornet 48". and a Riffe C3. Though i tried Metal Techs and i found them a little better for Scuba. Not to much difference. I think Riffes are good for every type of Spearfishing. only drawback is going to be that damn Handle.

• XS comes with a threaded shaft and a screw on double barb tip which is not necessary. While having more holding power the double barb tip is heavier and possibly affects accuracy. It's also more expensive. It is better to learn good shot placement with a single flopper shaft.

• if we could get the SEA SNIPER,REEF PRO SERIES(HANDLE AND TRIGGER) on a WONG 60" MAGNUM MID HANDLE HYBRID Id like that.smile thats not going to happen.spearguns,handguns ,you need 3or 4 guns.thats the fun of it.
    and of course you need that dead chicken under your bed for LUCK.