omer cayman?

• right now im using a 36 in jbl northwest special somethin... i have three bands on it and it def. gets the job done but im not particularly fond of it, and the pervious owner definetly took less than good care of it. I really like my omer bandit mask and am savin for some omer fins also.. over all all the omer products ive used and seen i like a lot and was wondering if anyone had any experiecne with the omer spearguns. i do like the thinner spear shaft, and itd be nice to get the 110 cm, the 36 inch jbl. seems kinda short to me..
    does the one thicker band onn the omer guns deliver as much force? and does the thinner shaft make up for any loss if there is any. All input is apprecitated. and i know riffe this, riffe that, everyone has a hard on for riffe

-Steven-

Scupper Pro Gives You Wings!

• No experience at all with omer spearguns. I have seen an Omer carbon gun in action though. and it was real accurate. I would suggest to look at other options as well, within the same price range. There are some good guns around, rabitechs or makos are a good option. I have a viper elite, which is exactly the same as the R. Stealth or Mako predator, and i can only say good things about it so far. Good luck and wellcome.

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• casue i like omer,, but any suggestions would be great
    i looked at makos they look like they could be nice and def priced right, a lot of the nicer guns are jsut too much for me right now though,, a buddy of mine jsut got a riffe its beautiful and shoots smooth but my pockets jsut arnt deep enough

• Don't worry about Marco when it comes to omer, this avatar would suit him perfectly :D

I don't know much about omer wetsuits which Marco has the biggest beef with. But I do know omer footpockets well and they're good. I've also been using the Abyss mask for a few years and while it's not ideal it has proven to be durable and consistent. I've tried like 30 other masks and while some have features that I wish the omer mask had I always end up going back to the Abyss when I can't deal with a certain flaw. Our carbon guns will be using a shape that I believe omer started with their cayman guns. One of the handles we're considering for the gun is partially based on the omer cayman handle. It's ergonomic and very comfortable, although I have qualms about the trigger mech at this point. Look at every manufacturer and pick out of their lineup the best they have to offer. There isn't one that has it all IMO.

• thanks alot pargo,, who do u work with? i saw the "sneak" of the gun ur workin on it looks amazing.,, and yeah i love my omer bandit its proven itself time and again.. ive gone hours on end without a leak or hint of fog, its nice and it smellled like cherries when it was new (i dont know why). i like their snorkels alot too,, ha and nice omer icon u make that yourself, thats pretty in depth for a joke.

Edited once, last by sdeisen ().

• Omer changed owner about 5 years ago and started to manufacture everything in China. I don´t have anything against China, but the quality of Omer Products was seriously affected and I had many problems with them as to say: Ice fins (all of them eventually broke), millennium footpockets (the rubber also broke), a T20 Carbon speargun, the barrel broke too, the “America shaft” bent at the first serious fish, first “mimetic” wet suit, all the beams came apart, new generation and supposedly improved wet suit, was supposed to be 3 mm and now is less than 1.5 mm, I bought a knife and the shealth broke too. A belt also broke, etc, etc, etc… Too many defective things for my taste…

Goo luck with them.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• I've seen a picture of the bottom of a footpocket broken through by the back of the blade, and also felt that area weakened on well used footpockets, but never heard of a tendon breaking. How do you break a tendon during normal use? The tendon is supported by the blade, if the tendon would break the blade has to break too no? Did it break during blade installation pulling the tendon back?

• I had a lot of bad luck with OMER products as well but i know there are stuff that have serve me well as well. For me no more OMER Wetsuits. and no spearguns or Fins. Everything else have wroked for . Snorkels /Masks/Knifes etc. So i'm in the 50/50 side. but the main things that i want them to last me and make me comfortable in the water i go for another brand.
    In Puerto Rico OMER was Big because back in the days was the brand you get to see the most, but as the sport developed in Puerto Rico things change so did OMER and the Brand was not reliable as it used to. Another brands steped in and OMER was not on top no more. I see why some spearos in Puerto Rico dont look for OMER as much now.
    I will not say is the best, i know there are better options for the money if you ask me. You can get the same or better for the same $$$, But if that is what you like, Buy it and try it for yourself. Your experience can be way different.

• At the tendons area.

There's another post on SB on exactly this. Some young guy had this happen to him on a trip and he kept it together with zip ties, glue etc.. He was going to buy new footpockets and forget about ther broken ones. We told him to call Omer USA (Mark) and Mark send him a new pair.

• The Omer stuff that I have right now is a Shardana float, that is just AWESOME. Best float ever, built like a frigging tank, I could dance salsa on top of it all night long, and the thing would not had a single dent. That float will last forever.

The other thing I own is an Omer Ocean Mimetic suit, that has served me well for two years, no complaints about that one either.

I used to have an alien mask that fitted perfectly, still had some bad fogging issues- Sold.

I had a mini laser knife that was a sexy lil´ thing, until I lost it to the sea.

I have a pair of Omer millenium foot pockets, and I love them. Strong, durable and yet soft enough for my hoofs.

Omer had served me well. I only have to say great things about it. All The Omer, Riffe, and Rob allen gear that I have is just great, and worth every penny invested in them.

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• okay so looking around ive not seen a whole lot that i like more than the omer spear.. but Mako looks like a good option too.. and they offer four payment interest free financing!! :) anyone have any input on mako guns. experiences good bad or indiferent// also whats the deal between open and closed muzzle,, i think my POS jbl had a closed muzzle, what conditions suite the two or is it really jsut a preference.
    thanks again

• Aimrite is not a bad choice, not perfect but not bad. I ended up not liking the Merou handle and decided against using it on our guns. It's a well made handle but too small, doesn't provide enough leverage on the gun for my taste, the plastic is slippery and tends to turn in your hand. But it's a good functioning handle, now with an all stainless steel mech. The muzzle is top notch and if everything lines up when you get it you have a good gun. Also the line release does not reset automatically and the little tab that resets it can tend to stick.

Here's what the Merou handle looked like on our gun http://spearfishing.world/spea…-at-our-new-speargun.html