Hogfish Head Soup

• This is a really mild tasting soup and really easy to make. Add as much or as little of the ingredients as you like except for the carrots. Try to keep them to a minimum because the soup is so mild the carrots can overpower the soup.

Soup is in 2 parts, the broth then the soup. I used the head of a 9.5 lb hogfish and it yielded about 1.5-2 gallons of soup.

The Broth

Hogfish head(s) (1 large, 2 medium or about 3-4 small heads, remove gills and guts, leave on the meat flaps that surround the gut cavity)
    1 whole onion
    bay leaves
    1/2 celery stalk leaves included
    salt and pepper to taste
    olive oil

Place oil in soup pot and heat it over medium-high heat. Add onions, celery, salt pepper and cook a while then add heads and continue to mix around. Add water to the pot until near full. Simmer for about 1 hour. Taste it every once in a while to make sure it has enough salt. The broth alone should taste pretty good.

I like to do it on the grill burner so the house does not get aromatic.

The Soup

broth
    potatoes
    malanga
    carrots
    some raw cubed fish pieces
    angel hair noodles

Strain everything and set aside the strained contents to cool. Continue to boil the broth. Taste it, if it's too fishy or salty add water, if not fishy enough boil longer. It is important that whenever you add water to let the soup boil again so the new water mixes well with the broth. When cooled you can pick some cooked meat from the strainer and add to soup later or have little snacks.

When you get it right add potato, malanga, and carrots cut anyway you like. On average a 1 inch piece of potato will take 20 minutes to cook.

Sample potato and malanga to make sure it is cooked though. Taste the soup it might need more salt. Add cubed fish and let boil 5 minutes then add noodles and boil until tender.

You can add cooked rice instead of noodles.

Serve and enjoy.

Davie Peguero

Edited 2 times, last by seaweed ().

• I love fish soup, especially with some mofongo on it.

I always keep all the big fish heads and here is my recipe:

In a deep pot with 2 gallons of water I put

2 Tbs of sofrito,
    2 packets of sazon,
    onions,
    peppers,
    lots of garlic,
    cilantrillo,
    cumin,
    black pepper,
    salt,
    some olive oil
    and the fish heads

boil them until the meat from the heads falls out, take another pot and strain all the liquid with a colander, put the liquid in the burner again and start putting some of the meat from the heads back in the liquid, then add corn meal just a little (like half cup depending of volume of water) and squeeze 1 ripe lemon and that’s it, here they eat it or drink it in cups, but I like a nice bowl with some mofongo inside, some pique and a beer or two ahhhh 3 beers, ok ok why break a nice six pack lets drink the 6 :D:toast:

Pucho

Pucho
    Aguadilla, Puerto Rico

• Davie,

Soup is on the stove as I write this. I went with Malanga rather than potatoes and gonna add carrots and a piece of calabaza. Also, using a bit of arroz valencia instead of the noodles. Vamos a ver.

• What did you use instead of the hogfish head, chicken feet? :laughing3:

:laughing3:

Great. I also have another suggestion, if the soup is too fish tasting you can add a little bit of tomato paste, I find it blends with and lessens the fish flavor of a strong fish soup.

Davie Peguero

• Well, as I mentioned I made the soup on Friday and it came out better than expected. I used two Cubera heads and did not use any other fish meat expect what I took out from the neck, face and head. I used about a 1/4 bag of valencia rice. Malanga, carrots, calabaza, a tomato and some grelos I bought for a dish I made today. My wife is not a big fish eater and she loved the soup. We'll have the rest of the left overs tomorrow. Here's a picture...

• Just to digress a bit, today I made Garbanzo Fritos. With this poor weather, it is a perfect time to cook. I did not use canned garbanzos and used a 12 oz bag and let them soak over night and put them on the pressure cooker this morning.

Mixed it with a sofrito of olive oil, 1 large yellow onion, half a green pepper, a few pieces of a jalepeno (sans the seeds), 6 garlic cloves, 3 bay leaves. Once this softened I added two chopped up chorizos Espanioles. Then cooked up some more and added a little bit of tomato sauce, cooking wine and spices, which included paprika, cumin, salt, oregano and a touch of cayenne pepper.

I then mixed both the cooked garbanzos and the sofrito, with a bit of the water from in which the garbanzos were cooked. To this I added a few grelos leaves and I let this sit for a while, until most of the water was evaporated.

Made some steamed fresh yucca, white rice and a salad. All this while drinking some homemade sangria.

• It all looks good. What do grelos taste like?

Grelos are the leafy vegatables ususally found in Caldo Gallego. Likely not as strong as Kale as it ususally takes on the taste of the stew in which it is incorporated in. Good source of fiber.:poop:

Edited once, last by Rolo ().