• hoping to get some advice about the cheapest place (website or whatever) to get a reel. I think i want a rob allen or a hammerhead, but im open to suggestions. Doesnt need to hold a ton of line and i want horizontal not vertical. i was thinking about just going up to florida free divers but the amount of gas to get there is prob same as shipping cost from a website

Scupper Pro Gives You Wings!

• Stay with a simple float line.

^THIS...and what Alan said also...

But if not the RA composite reel is very nice and has no weight to it.

I have one and the quick detach is great.
    You can buy one reel and install the mounting bracket on all your guns and transfer the reel over and you please. . .

.Larry O M. . .

• well lets same im diving 50 feet and have 50 meters of reel line and i shoot something that doest want to come up all i have to do is loosen the drag and let the line unwind as i ascend,.. joe its a mako 120

• well lets same im diving 50 feet and have 50 meters of reel line and i shoot something that doest want to come up all i have to do is loosen the drag and let the line unwind as i ascend,.. joe its a mako 120

This has not happen to me! but from what has happen to others this is way I stay away from reels.

Yes you can loosen the drag.
    but what if the line wraps up as its coming out the reel and locks the reel? You're SOL.

you must let go of your gun for some reason, the gun sinks like must loaded gun do in low viz its gone.

you shoot a fish loosen the drag let the gun float up, a floating gun is not very easy to spot if the fish takes off.

Whatever there could be a million what if's with any set-up, but the less you have to deal with the better.

.Larry O M. . .

• i see what you are saying, and the day i go out to shoot wahoo and tuna will be the day i get a float line, and anyone who wants can scoff at that,, but really i jsut dont like having a line running behind me, im aways kicking it and its there following me and i jsut dont feel as relaxed. honestly i didnt want to have a float line vs. reel debate i was jsut wondering if anyone had a good source or opinion on diff. brands of reels

• Are you using a float line now?

I believe he's not using anything.

Going up from 60ft after stalking a fish will be slower with a fish on or the shaft stuck in the bottom, and the reel letting out line. I didn't want this to become a reel vs floatline debate either, just wanted to give a heads up. Someone who insists on using a reel should get information about the best reel. But I am glad to see there are others here who see it my way. BTW Steven if you dive on Pantoja's boat you must have a float line, float, and flag http://spearfishing.world/spea…g-us-on-the-santa-fe.html There's usually a spare on the boat.

• I use an X-fire seac sub reel and is great, is only like $30 dollars and I have never had any problems with it at all...I dont know if its going to fit your gun...I dont keep my reel locked, usually is in the middle and is never a problem, weather you catch a 50 pound cuda or a 5 pound Hog.....

• OK. this should not be a debate about float line and reel but well . I wanted to say something. I know that some people here like joe , seaweed etc , like reels , and I respect that. I honestly do . but I think that a float has plenty of advantages. first I don't want to see anyone alone with a shaft stuck to the bottom or with a fish holed up with one of those even in 40 ft . just look at the vid on the home page and see what I'm talking about . those guys , reel guys had to use a float anyways. you'll have somewhere to hang your fish, youll be seen from the boat , you'll be able to go far from the boat . and in case the boat is lost you'll have more chance of not being run over. I might be crazy , but this is what I know. and I like to keep things simple . a reel is not simple and I've seen them get all messed up in the water. shit . I don't want that. but still . you fish with what is better for you . anyways is not the dog , it's the owner.

• i see what you are saying, and the day i go out to shoot wahoo and tuna will be the day i get a float line, and anyone who wants can scoff at that,, but really i jsut dont like having a line running behind me, im aways kicking it and its there following me and i jsut dont feel as relaxed. honestly i didnt want to have a float line vs. reel debate i was jsut wondering if anyone had a good source or opinion on diff. brands of reels

[QOUTE]
    But if not the RA composite reel is very nice and has no weight to it.

I have one and the quick detach is great.
    You can buy one reel and install the mounting bracket on all your guns and transfer the reel over as you please. . .

.Larry O M. . .[QOUTE]

• I understand that the float is the safe way to go, I just never got use to it, to me is just not comfortable...

Edited once, last by Joe25 ().

• not meaning to impose. it's just my point of view. reels are unconfy here. in the kelps in cali , I don't know . but here.......

• I really dont like draging all that rope and swimming down thinking that I'm going to get tangle up, I know is just in my head, but I just cant do it.