Miami Persistent Open 2010

• Start Time: Thursday, June 10, 2010 at 8:00pm
    End Time: Sunday, June 13, 2010 at 12:00am
    Street: 1001 MacArthur Causeway
    City/Town: Miami Beach, FL

1st Annual Miami Persistent Open 2010 spearfishing tournament. The start of the beginning of a series of international spearfishing tournaments. This year Miami Persistent Open will take place in the stunning location of Miami, Florida on June 10th-11th-12th and 13th, 2010. All the information about the tournament is detailed in the rules section in www.miamipersistentopen.com but here is a quick introduction.

Teams are conformed of four persons, two spear-fishermen, one boat captain and one commissioner. Registrations are open until June 10th, only 50 teams will compete. There will be no more registrations after our Captain’s Meeting on Thursday June 10, 2010 at 7:00 PM.
    At least 2 competitors from each team must attend the Captain’s Meeting, which will serve a couple of different purposes; a last minute Question &Answer session regarding rules, as well as late registrations. Last minute rule changes can be instituted at the Captain’s Meeting.

The entire event will take place at the Miami Yacht Club, 1001 MacArthur Causeway. Miami, FL 33132. The tournament will be held at Miami Yacht Club Marina starting Friday, June 11, 2010. Participants can spearfish from 9:00 AM until 5 Pm. Saturday is resting day and and informative meeting about the tournament.
    Sunday, the tournament continues. Participants may spearfish from 9:00 AM but they must be back at 3:00 PM. Sunday afternoon will be the Award Ceremony and Trophy Presentation, after this a celebration party will be held for all participants and friends.

Four trophies will be given out for the best overall combined scores for the team. A fifth trophy for the “biggest catch”.

• pipin ferreras send me an e-mail tellin me hes back doing tournaments and good stuff..
    "Pipin says, "Dear friend:After 7 years I am back to organizing mega events, check out my 1st Annual Miami Persistent Open, please send me your feedback."......

....niceee!! ..I wish they do some in puerto rico..

Edited once, last by Guest ().

• I have a friend living in my house and he is very interested in it. not for the glory , but for the money. the money is very tempting because i personally need it.
    my friend asked me if we have to stick to the legal limits and if we are required a fl fishing licence to participate . I think I know the answer already but still wanted to double check. and the other question is if only two of the team are allowed to fish. oh , and is scuba allowed?

• I have a friend living in my house and he is very interested in it. not for the glory , but for the money. the money is very tempting because i personally need it.
    my friend asked me if we have to stick to the legal limits and if we are required a fl fishing licence to participate . I think I know the answer already but still wanted to double check. and the other question is if only two of the team are allowed to fish. oh , and is scuba allowed?

yes, yes, and no scuba. However it is alot of money, and if people cheat in the regular tournaments to win a speargun... I can't even imagine hom much they'll cheat do now.

http://miamipersistentopen.com/rules.pdf

Davie Peguero

• Don't waste your time Sergio. $400 to enter, two people max and you gotta have a boat. It's all about knowing where to go. There are people in Miami who will have a huge advantage. I wonder if Pipin himself will compete. If so I'm sure team persistent has much more at stake than $10,000.

• Are tournaments usually that pricey to get into?

Cause the seems like a load of cash to do something you usually do on your own ( For free )

• well my friend can fish at 150 ft, so if we go out a few times and find a good spot he could have a chance . I don't really like those tourneys anyways to be honest and I like what I do just for fun , no pressure. and like davie says .....they will be cheating all over. that's for sure.

• Thats crazy to just cover the cost of the prize money they need 32 teams to enter at $400 a piece.

I don't see this tournament lasting. .With all the cheating and such that may go on when you're offering $10,000. . .

and No $200 per person is NOT normal. It's around $50. But when you have a chance at $10K, $200 isn't that bad. .for a pro. . .

• There should be some pretty big fish shot here. Not only because of the caliber of divers,(Jorge Mario and Mojarra on the same team:@) but the rules are pretty good. Pretty much open to all legal fish, scoring has no weight limit(you shot a 50lb AJ you get 50 points) and no boundaries.

• the thing is that it is very common in this area for people to cheat. it is a fact and it would be like playing with the odds against you. if one of every team was place in other people's teams , making sure that they are not related in any way it could go smooth.

• Having read all the posts and replies here I go, and please, bear with me...

1.-Each Team must bring a Commissioner of their own who must be SWITCHED among boats of a different competitor's team.:confused1:

2.-Each Team boat has to be supplied with 3 metal (two for the personal weighting and 1 for the other non competing pieces) or wire fish stringers identified by a numbered plaque. Each number corresponds to a different team but the identity is ONLY known by the organizers. Once each team has chosen which pieces are going to be weighted in the opposing Commissioner seals shut the metal wire via a nylon color coded "tie-wrap" and deliver the package (randomly placed among others) to the weighting station.:angry5:

3.-Each team's boat must have a clearly identifiable FLAG (24 X 24") issued by organizer before leaving port. Flag is to be placed right under or beside main boat's "DIVER BELOW" FLAG so each competitor boat can be identified and randomly inspected by a team of unmarked organizer's vessels at any moment.:cool2:

4.-Of course ONE`SINGLE GPS for each boat has to be OBLIGATORY and in case of any complaint or discrepancy must be rendered for inspection by judges. Denial to accept this signifies immediate disqualification.:nono:

5.- The "open area" MUST have some sort of demarcation. For issuance 20 nautical miles both north and south of the departing marina, of course, fish heavens or park intrusion will constitute IMMEDIATE disqualification .Non strict observance of regulation's sizes or bag limitation would be disqualifying factor too.

And there are other preventive and deterrent countermeasures, but I prefer NOT to share them inhere, (sorry guys...!) IF, I nevertheless participate ...I think.. the organizers will be on top of them. :laughing3:

Don't hate me guys, I'm only the...what am I? I'll get back to you on that one. Bye, bye...!:thumbsup2:

Edited 2 times, last by ricksafer: It's fun to edit!!!! ().

• It seems to be very well organized.

It is amazing that all these rules and proedures must be taken to avoid (or minimize) cheating...

Sad... :(

I stopped competing for this reason (among others).

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.