GoPro HD Underwater Blurry Fix

• I know that I suck, but weather and shallow diving ability have kept this camera above 38ft underwater...37.5 was no problem for the case filled with tissues, so that is a resounding endorsment for 1 atm of pressure.

i like to spear fish

• I have the eyeofmine housing.

I do not like the R5 setting and almost never use it.

Due to the camera's lack of a viewing window, there is no way to easily and consistently aim the camera and check it's framing when leaving it underwater, or using the head strap. I have wasted time, and lost some potentially amazing footage due to the camera not being centered correctly on the subject.

I find that R4 lets me get away with much more, even if you get some slight vignetting, and sadly things in the distance appear a fair bit smaller than they really are, or can't be seen.

Fast-forward this clip to about 2:45. If I was in R4 mode instead of R5, I would have gotten the uluas in the frame and the money shot.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoJ4Obw1EOw&hd=1

A example of what R4 looks like:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_thx1XAFEgI&hd=1

Even though it apparently wouldn't record the ono (wahoo) it is more engaging, you can see my fins, mask, snorkel, body, me clearing my ears, doing a rope pull-down, my dive partner and boat up above. Then for the trip up, you can see how I inhale back in my precious air by watching the nose piece of the mask compressing and expanding and how hardly any air escapes out from my mask. In R5 mode, almost none of this would be viewable.

By the way, on the way up just as I clear the wreck, if you look to the right in the above clip, you will see another eyeofmine housing sitting on the deck of the wreck, recording.

This is the footage it was getting that day:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0N7J4VyOog&hd=1

This trick is proving to be a VERY useful tool in determining what kind of fish, and how often they visit a particular piece of area, especially in 100' of water as I don't like camping out on the bottom for long periods at those depths for safety reasons. A example can be seen in this clip put together by my partner of a jumbo kahala (amberjack to the rest of you guys) cruising by (big by Hawaii standards). I'm the one with the camera on my head. Taken in R3 and R2 mode. Plane is in 109' of water. Neither housings have leaked in over 2 weeks of almost non-stop use in deep waters.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF4UiJHgm9I&hd=1

-Paul

• If you center the camera on your head, R5 is the best. But i see you constantly like to adjust the camera for the ascent. I prefer to use R5 because it doesnt make stuff so small. You still see a lot of stuff you want even if you dont use R3. R3 is good for close ups. R4 is good for seeing more up and down but not as wide which is not good imo, because if you center camera, the R5 will show more side to side which is more important.

My video shot in R5. Everything that needs to be shown and is centered.

• Anybody that uses the GO Pro I always tell them to aim the camera lower than what they would expect. However, divers still seem to disappear off the bottom of the screen quite frequently...it simply takes some getting used to. Since this is the problem i find the r5 setting to be ideal based on greekdivers advice. It seems Paul has the opposite issue of my camera operators, so I understand why he likes the r4 setting.

I also wanted to add that I have been extremely happy with eye of mine's product and service.

Jason

• I am thinking of getting this camera and eyeofmine flat lens and would like to know from you all that have them which area to mount the camera do you feel is best, head mount (hood like Greeks), gun mount, pole like Pauls etc. I was thinking on my gun because I like the fact that you can aim steadily at an area or object and still move your head around quickly to inspect the area/fish etc without the camera moving rapidly. I have seen some people with the camera on there head and all you see is rapid movements from them looking every which way. Greek I know how yours is setup and you do a good job of keeping it relatively smooth when looking around. What are your thoughts guys.

Also what editing program do you all use to edit your videos with music and text?

• Another person will have to chime in on your first question as some one is usually holding the camera on our dives.

On Dan's suggestion I purchased the Pinnacle Studio 14 Ultimate. This was my first experience with video editing software and I found the software to be pretty intuitive. In an afternoon I was able to learn how to crop clips, add music, create DVD menu and chapters, and add pictures. Basically, the fundamentals of creating a simple movie. The largest files I use are 1 gig and the software seems to be able to import them timely and play them back smoothly.

I would like to learn how to fade music in and out to go along with actual sounds the camera recorded...still working on that, but I imagine it can be done.

It would be nice if a couple of us were using the same editing software to share tips and tricks.

Jason

• Howzit going Dan, Im planning on getting an underwater camera but I have one question. Does the Gopro Hero HD come with an SD memory card, Or do I have to buy it separately.

Thanx

• I was talking to a guy that was selling a gopro HD with a 4gb memory card and he was saying that he could only record 30min of run time. I find that hard to believe! Does anyone know how much record time you could get with an 8gb memory card?