Shark Stories

• Well here is my very first shark story. I started diving when I was 12 in Santa Cruz del Norte Cuba. With a home-made gun from a an antenna and surgical latex tubes. It was primarily to catch octopus and small fish. I dove that particular area for 3 years in depths ranging from 15ft to 35ft and although there was great bottom I never saw a single shark, not even a nurse shark. So 6-7 years later I started diving again in the States, primarily in West Palm Beach with an experienced diver named Julian which some of you may know. The guy is a serious spearfisherman, he knows where the fish are and knows how to get them. On my 6th trip I decided to bring a buddy of mine along (Joe). He was as green as it gets. We were diving in 65-80ft of water we could not dive that deep but we ran into a school of jacks and we were shooting the h... out of them. Joe was untangling his shooting line sitting on the back of Julian's 19' boat while I was trying to remove a fish I had just shot. Out of nowhere Julian starts screaming at me but I couldn't figure out what he was saying. I only knew he was talking about a shark. Since i was still holding the last jack I had shot I frantically started looking around trying to spot the beast. Deep down I see this large torpedo like shape calmly cruising followed by 2 fat cobias. I immediatelly dropped the fish and started swimming to the boat. Once I got there I handed the gun to Joe who had the palest face I've seen to this day and followed to jump into the boat without even touching the side of it. Meanwhile Julian had gone down to shoot one of the cobias trailing the shark. Once he surfaced he started screaming to take his gun and pull the fish out which I started doing. He then had Joe grab his weight belt and pull him out of the water. As soon as him and the fish were in the boat the shark swam right by the side of the boat where I washed in awe my first bull encounter. Julian said that it was a female around the 500lb mark. After that particular day I've always dived with the presence of a shark in the back of my mind. I've come across many sharks after that day and I still react the same way for the most part. I have a lot of respect for sharks and given the choice I would move to a different spot. I admire guys like Asesino, Roberto Reyes, Don etc.... who have the balls to hunt and successfully kill sharks. Hope you enjoyed it and sorry if I rambled a bit....

• Adrian
    You can take my name out of there, in most of my stories I was afraid of the shark,
    If i was willing to go in the water with the Mako, was because I knew I could not
    dive again with that monster swiming around, and we left.
    I have no problem with most small or medium size sharks, but shooting a big one
    for fear of it biting you or a friend is not an act of courage, all the contrary.

• thankfully ive only ever had to deal with nurse sharks while spearfishing but have seen a bull snorkeling years ago. Today I kept running into a fat 7' nurse that always seemed to be waiting wherever I was heading.

Saw my first bonnethead on thursday! very cool even though it was only about 2-3 foot long

Edited once, last by mrmike ().

• 3 years ago, I was diving a rig in about 80ft of water in 30ft vis. I had shot an amberjack and headed to the top with line peeling off of my reel. On the surface I began retreving the fish, and about the time that I got to my shooting line a bull shark came out of the rig and hit the amberjack. He headed back to the bottom with my fish and spear, and I swam to the boat and handed the gun to my oldest son. I got in and began pulling on the line, but it soon went slack. The mono was cut by either a rig leg or the shark. We left and went to another spot. I have dove that spot many times since then, and seen bull sharks on several occasions, but none have tried to take my fish since that incident.

• Stephan, you donthave to go that far, shark shield does not work on some sharks, but it does give you
    a peace of mind, and it does work on most of the ones we encounter when spearing.
    When I was on a hatteras spearfishing tournament, i saw one sand tiger shark right next to a diver with the shark shield on his ankle, so I though it must have run out of battery or turned off, so i aproched the diver when we both got to the surface and told him to turn it on, and explained to him he had a shark sniffing at his fins, he check his shark shield and started cursing at the thing, it was on, and this particular kind of shark is everywere on those wrecks there.

A big white if he wanted to, would do a lot of damage, but wehave all seen guys
    swiming with them in open waters, big sharks are a real danger, but even a very small
    one cut cut you and make enough danage for a serious injury,infection or the like, the stuff
    in the teeth of all fish should not be taken lightly.

• I got one for yall, you'll have to bear with me as this is when i was using the dark side.... Scuba...

So i went diving off of the NC shipwreck called the Papoose. Great place for diving, with Grouper and Black Sea Bass out of the wazoo. It was a good dive with 1 yellow mouth Grouper and 3 black sea bass so far. I knew that there were Sand Tigers in the area as i saw a few 4-5 footers, but none payed me any close attention. I just shot my last sea bass when i got the feeling something wasn't right. I looked around and saw nothing. So i got my fish, took him off the spear and knifed him. I was starting up the ascent line when i looked at the edge of the wreck (50 or so feet away) and saw the outline of a Tiger. I watched as it went back into the gloom. It didn't reappear, so i went up the line and did my routine 3 min safety stop. Well my buddy gave the shark sign to me and pointed straight down. I looked and saw nothing. So i thought he needed his eyes checked and gave him the finger for scaring the shit out of me. A min or so later, he togged my fin, and turned my head again below him. Sure as shit their was a 8-9 foot tiger circling beneath me slowly coming up. Thank god the capts kid was in the water, so i slammed the back of my tank to get his attention and he swam down to grab the fish. The last 30 seconds were the worse.... As i counted down the seconds till i can haul ass out of the water, the smell of fresh fish brought the shark closer. He got about 25 feet when my safety stop ended and my ass was hauling out of the water. After that, i haven't tried spearing with sharks again.

• When I first switched to using camouflage wetsuits, I would have leopard sharks of various sizes come up to me and rub up against me.

Apart from that, I saw a large soupfin at Catalina once, probably around 6'. It was way more scared of me than I was of him.

Alex