Might buy a boat - what do you guys think

• SO I've been hunting around for deals on kayaks and every now and then I'll glance around at boats just to see whats out there. Well the boating bug really bit me after spending miniseason out on my friends dusky cc. So the search continued and after finding some good deals and then finding out they'd been sold I stumbled across a 1996 proline 200 stalker with 150 mariner. Ok so my g/f actually found it, its her uncles and it turns out he wants it gone doesnt want to fix it and needs the money etc. It seems the motor overheats but I havent had anytime to look into it, just going based on what he says. The good news is he takes excellent care of it - washes it weekly and waxes monthly even though it hasnt been run in 6-8 months. Also, he just bought a new continental tandem axle trailer for it as well as a new fish finder and radar (all within the past year to year/half) He wants $3500 for it as is. What do you guys think?

• As a mechanic I don't think it will be that difficult for you to learn the boat engine. If the hull and trailer are in good condition it's a nobrainer. Having my own boat is great, not having to depend on others for my diving.

• I googled the stalker series and they look like a flats boat, will be really bumpy in the ocean. I believe a boat is a huge investment, they buying price will seem small compared to the maintenance.

Davie Peguero

• I too have done my google research and the stalker was a flats boat aside from the 200 series. I have seeen the boat in person and can vouch that it is an ocean going vessel. Im going to go do a thorough walk through and ask lots of questions on sunday after beach diving. Again I have seen the boat and think its good deal just wanted to get others opinions/see if anyone had dealt with these types of decisions. I will get a good look at it sunday and have already talked to the owner and he says hed gladly let me take it to a repair shop and get it diagnosed. I reminded him that even if I dont buy it then at least he will have a diagnosis and a shop to go with it. Sunday will probably be the deciding factor. assuming I get it and theres room on the boat then all fdsf (yeah i made that acronym up in my current drunken stupor) members will be allowed onboard for a minimal gas fee, I am by no means going to be a charter vessel but would much rather have a full spearfishing boat rather than a half empty one.

edit: like dan said im a mechanic by day and thats how I make a living so it shouldnt be that hard to figure these things out.... that being said I know people in the boat industry and should be able to get it running for cheap unless it needs a complete overhaul/engine in which it will be a game time decision in which I would be able to negotiate with my g/f's uncle.

• It looks like a sound boat with a good condition trailer (from the photos) I would be mostly looking into the engines and maybe get a diagnostic check (hook up to a computer) which are not that expensive from a local marina just to make sure all is good and then yah buy it.

• Thats a nice looking boat. I'd see if it has trim tabs or invest in some and learn to use it. It can mean the difference between a smooth fast ride or a really bumpy one.

Overheating is probably the water pump or thermostats if it has them. If not then might have corrosion or build up in the water channels in the manifolds if the engine has age.

It's great you're a mechanic, at least you have the tools and related knowledge to do all the work.

Davie Peguero

• Add a zero or three to whatever you think it's going to cost you in maintenance, and if that's a number you'll be able to deal with then you're good. The only thing that works flawlessly on every boat is the money sucking machine :)

• that looks like a real solid set-up for the price... assuming you have the skills/cash to situate that motor. I had a kayak and recently found a great deal that allowed me to turn it into an inflatable RIB w/ a 15hp. Boy was that the best move I ever made & the price increase was minimal. Granted I'd rather have a jet ski or bigger boat but that will come in time. this lil inflatable has been the perfect 1st boat that gets me anywhere I need to go near shore at least.
    Good luck if you end up gettin it. Looks like a great time.

• going to do compression tests today and pull the lower end apart to verify its just the waterpump causing the overheat issue. unfortunately still a little ways away from her maiden voyage under my command.