La Paz late afternoon report

• After having a great phone conversation with Mr. Dan himself, Milton, Memo and I, headed to our regular spots to get some yummy fish fillets. It was a rainy afternoon, but the vis was like 50 ft, and was warm and calm. I dove to a well known pargo house at 40 feet and nothing, when I was ascending, a saw a huge golden jack followed by a couple of smaller ones, I aimed for the last one (cause it took me by surprise) and I got him with a clear middle body shot. We got a few more and some nice parrot fillets and a whole pargo for zarandeado. Best of all was I had one of the bests afternoons of my life: hunting with a couple of good friends.

Not bad for a 3 hour dive I guess.

• Nice to see how the rest of your day turned out Toño. Seems like you guys do it just like us, one moment at home on the phone and an hour later diving. Those golden jacks look like they'd make great fillets. What is this surface the fish are lying on?

• Nice to see how the rest of your day turned out Toño. Seems like you guys do it just like us, one moment at home on the phone and an hour later diving. Those golden jacks look like they'd make great fillets. What is this surface the fish are lying on?

The Pichilingue dock :)

Those G.J. are really good eating, it´s plain (no strips) counterpart, the jack crevalle (jack) is not good at all, the meat is better than yellow tail and even Fuerte. They are strong fighters too

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• Awesome!

Those Golden Jacks are fun to shoot & you guys got some nice ones! :thumbsup2:

Looks like a great time, stoked to see you out there having fun. :)

• Nice report.

Love shooting those Golden Trevally. To bad we don't have them on this side. Panama was infested with them, and also saw a few when I was diving Cerralvo and in Hawaii... Great eating also, like you said.

Congrats on a nice batch of fish.

• Thanks Gerald, now that you mention that, Golden Trevally is a Great name for this hard fighters. I got dragged a coupl of times by this fierce strippers. Funny thing is no other trevally is as good eating for some reason.

• Funny thing is no other trevally is as good eating for some reason.

Agreed they taste great, although what we get here in the atlantic, Yellow Jacks, are right on par with the Golden Trevally as far as eating goes.

• Thanks Gerald, now that you mention that, Golden Trevally is a Great name for this hard fighters. I got dragged a coupl of times by this fierce strippers. Funny thing is no other trevally is as good eating for some reason.

I like the Bigeye Trevally . We call it Ohoton, but not sure what the right name for it is... Someday I have to try them side by side. :)

Toro (Jack Crevalle) are bottom of my edibility list, but they're not really trevally. I enjoy pretty much all of the trevally in Hawaii, but greatly prefer a smaller size - between 2-10#.

The golden trevally are always a lot of fun & good to eat. It's also interesting how widely different the brightness/saturation is throughout their life cycle and even from area to area.

• Fuzz Ohoton, sounds like Ojotón (Big Eye) :) funny stuff. they reach a weight close to 30 pounds around here, My biggest is close to 18 pounds tho. The leaders are the bigger ones. I immediately go for the gills to improve the taste even more.

• Fuzz Ohoton, sounds like Ojotón (Big Eye) :) funny stuff. they reach a weight close to 30 pounds around here, My biggest is close to 18 pounds tho. The leaders are the bigger ones. I immediately go for the gills to improve the taste even more.

Darn... embarassed by my gringo spanish. :D