No more spearfishing in puerto rico

• I am nervous again for the metings and recomendations that are on the table
    for the new fishing laws.
    Am having problems posting it, but am so afraid one of these
    days we will wake up and they will have outlaw the use of spearguns
    in Puerto Rico.
    We will see, am on top of it, but am only one vote.

• Hi Roberto,

I understand your fears, and they are not infounded. They did it in Curaçao, and although PR is much larger, it is similar in that it has only limited amounts of "shallow" water to act as nursery habitat...

Please continue the fight!

Take care,

G

• Comments on Proposed Changes to Fisheries Regulations

Richard S. Appeldoorn

Department of Marine Sciences
    and
    Executive Director
    Caribbean Coral Reef Institute
    University of Puerto Rico
    Mayaguez, PR 00680-9000
    Richard.appeldoorn@uprm.edu

July 26, 2010

I offer a few comments on the proposed changes to Puerto Rico’s fisheries regulations, specifically with respect to Article 8. These comments are based on our current understanding of the state of the reef fisheries in Puerto Rico, as follows:

1) The reef fishery complex in Puerto Rico is overfished and has been for decades. While there are many studies that document this over the years, as a basis for this I will cite the most recent comprehensive study, that of Ault et al. (2008). Thus, the new regulations should be designed to rectify this situation.
    2) Overfishing is one of the major sources of coral reef decline. I will cite Jackson (1997) as the initial basis for this, but there has been substantial supporting evidence since then. Thus, if fisheries management is to be in accordance with the principle stated in Articles 5 and 6, as well as the Puerto Rico Coral Law, it will seek to reduce overfishing to a point such that coral reef recuperation is possible. While it can be argued that there are no set guidelines on these levels, there are clear principle that can be applied (see for example, Appeldoorn 2008) that will move the situation in the right direction.
    3) Because of the non-linear dynamics that characterize complex socio-ecological systems, building resilience into the system is critical. In response fisheries management is now adopting an ecosystem approach that recognizes these larger impacts and attempts to enhance ecosystem resilience and avoid thresholds leading to altered ecosystem states. Again, Appeldoorn (2008) gives guidelines relevant to Puerto Rico reef fisheries. Thus, the new regulations should reflect these new realities and adapt management strategies accordingly.

In this context, I offer the following comments and suggestions:

Art. 8,5 and 8.6. Spear guns are one of the most damaging of fishing gears, as they specifically target the most susceptible and often most valuable components of the reef ecosystems, that is the large predators and parrotfishes. While recognizing that there are strong constituencies of both recreational and commercial fishermen that use spear guns, their activities have a disproportionally large impact. My recommendation is that its use should be banned altogether (except for scientific collecting under permit): true fisherman will be able to adapt to alternate gears. If that is not politically feasible, than use should be restricted, such as limiting only the use of the Hawaiian sling or limiting the daily catch.

Art. 8.8 This regulation does not take into the account several important aspects of Mona/Monito, including (1) the critical role Mona Island is thought to play as a biogeographic stepping stone across the Mona Passage (a well documented biogeographic barrier for many taxa), (2) the dependency on fish stock there to be dependent on self-recruitment, which makes them particularly susceptible to overfishing, and (3) the even greater susceptibility of key snapper and grouper species that form aggregations for spawning – some of these aggregations occur outside the proposed half mile boundary. In fact, the original regulations, also set at ½ mile were subsequently altered to be based on depth in an effort to protect these fragile populations. In fact, even this approach left too much to chance or to willful poaching. I recommend the boundary be set at greatest distance by employing both a 1 mile and 100 fathom limit.

Art. 8.22. I have already commented to the DNER about the evidence concerning the peak of the reproductive period for conch. The proposed change in the closed season to Aug-Oct represents one done without proper study and in disregard to regional agreements in the Caribbean to attempt uniform dates for closure to facilitate enforcement. As stated in my previous comments, however, there may be circumstantial evidence suggesting the peak of the spawning season might have shifted in response to global warming and rising sea water temperatures.

Art. 8.22 and 8.23. Missing from here is the current regulation of a daily catch limit for queen conch for both the recreational and commercial fishery. This regulation along with additional regulations (minimum size and a closed Federal zone on the west coast – a large and effective reserve for this species) have been instrumental in sustaining a steady, albeit slow, recovery for this species. Nevertheless, the population would have to double several times to no longer be considered overfished.

Art. 8.24. I strongly support the proposed closed season for red hind in as far as they go. While actual spawning typically occurs in January and February, the aggregations themselves start forming as early as December. A recent study (Marshak 2007) showed that the short seasonal closures associated with the three west-coast aggregations under Federal jurisdiction where completely ineffective due to the large increase in fishing effort occurring immediately before and after the closure, when fish are still aggregated. In this light, I would recommend extending the closures until March 15, as we have documented the persistence of aggregations into March when the full moon occurs early in the month.

In general, I applaud the approach of using seasonal closures to protect spawning fishes, especially those known to form discrete aggregations. A comprehensive study by Ojeda et al. (2007) clearly shows that aggregation sites are more numerous that previous suspected, making area closures impractical on an island-wide basis.

Art. 8.48 The concept of a seasonal closure for Gaujil is good, but it is misplaced by being limited to Mona Island. (1) This regulation should not be seen as a substitute for having the aggregation site fall outside the proposed half-mile limit, but should be invoked in addition to the spatial protecting by having the aggregation site fall within the no-fishing zone (see comments on Art. 8.8). (2) While the vulnerability of this species at Mona is high, this is apparently the situation around all of Puerto Rico. In their study, Ojeda et al. (2007) found that over 10% of the reported aggregations had already collapsed.

Additional comments and suggestions

The regulations make no effort to conserve the large parrotfishes, which are grossly overfished to the extent that they are effectively gone in an ecological sense. However, the grazing activities of these large species are different from small species and are important components required for health coral reef ecosystems (see Mumby et al. 2006). There should be a total ban on the take of following species: blue parrotfish (Scarus coeruleus), midnight parrotfish (Scarus coelestinus), and rainbow parrotfish (Scarus guacamaia).

No efforts have been made to address the levels of overall catch either for the commercial or recreational fishery. Unfortunately, the levels of both fisheries are so high that other regulations, by themselves, will not restore either the fisheries stocks (see comments on Art. 8.24) or coral reef health. (See comments are Art. 8.22 and 8.23 for where limits are shown to work). In this sense, the proposed limits fail to meet the responsibilies outlined in Articles 5 and 6. Limits can be done either through quotas or through closed areas, but preferentially both. Closed areas have many additional benefits relative to maintaining resilience and assessing fisheries stocks (see Appeldoorn 2008).

Literature Cited
    Appeldoorn, R.S. 2008. Transforming reef fisheries management: application of an ecosystem-based approach in the USA Caribbean. Environ. Cons. 35: 232-241.
    Ault, J.S., S.G. Smith, J.Luo, M.E. Monaco, R.S. Appeldoorn. 2008. Length-based assessment of sustainability benchmarks for coral reef fishes in Puerto Rico. Environ. Cons. 35: 221-231.
    Jackson, JBC. 1997. Reefs since Columbus. Coral Reefs 16 (Suppl. 1): S23-S32.
    Marshak, A.R. 2007. Evaluation of seasonal closures of red hind, Epinephelus guttatus (Pisces: Serranidae), spawning aggregations to fishing off the west coast of Puerto Rico, using fishery-dependent and independent time series data. MS Thesis. University of Puerto Rico. Mayagüez, Puerto Rico. 84 p.
    Mumby, P.J., C.P. Dahlgren, A.R. Harborne, C.V. Kappel, F. Micheli, D.R. Brumbaugh, K.E. Holmes, J.M. Mendes, K. Broad, J.N. Sanchirico, K. Buch, S. Box, R.W. Stoffle, A.B. Gill. 2006. Fishing, trophic cascades, and the process of grazing on coral reefs. Science 311: 98-101.
    Ojeda-Serrano, E., R. Appeldoorn, I. Ruiz-Valentin. 2007. Reef fish spawning aggregations of the Puerto Rican shelf. Final report to the Caribbean Coral Reef Institute, UPR Mayaguez, PR. http://ccri.uprm.edu/researche…al_Report_CCRI_SPAG's.pdf

• Our fishery is pretty healthy,the way they collect data is a joke, I wish you could see what they did at the ramps.
    To be fair, a few of the data collectors do a good job, but in general, they dont.

A few years ago, when the new then fishing regulations came up, we did really had no fishing
    laws, and they wanted to eliminate spearfishing completely from Puerto Rico, we had a group, and
    we got a few things, now they are back at it, and is not just that they hate spearfishing, wixh they do,
    but they think that they are doing the right thing, is the old mentality that spearfishing is bad, and in some
    ways if you are not selective, ecollogically responsible and honorable in the way you harvest fish, any art
    form of fishing will lead to that mentality.

I am the only recreational fisherman representing us here,am running out of resources.

• If that is not politically feasible, than use should be restricted, such as limiting only the use of the Hawaiian sling or limiting the daily catch.

There you go, LIMITED DAILY CATCH. Bag limits should be in place. No need to be so drastic as to ban it out right. Gear restrictions will just end up wounding and loosing fish. The statement of the author that "TRUE" fishermen will be able to adapt is BULLSHIT, and has no scientific value. What about the 100's on the island that do it for recreational purposes...

Good luck Rob. I hope you won't be hunting with a camera in the future instead of your gun.

• There you go, LIMITED DAILY CATCH. Bag limits should be in place. No need to be so drastic as to ban it out right. Gear restrictions will just end up wounding and loosing fish. The statement of the author that "TRUE" fishermen will be able to adapt is BULLSHIT, and has no scientific value. What about the 100's on the island that do it for recreational purposes...

Good luck Rob. I hope you won't be hunting with a camera in the future instead of your gun.

The way they do things here, is making big closures.is the recreationals the ones who would suffer.

Many of the comercial guys, will loose their licences sooner or later,the new laws are already on place for that, and only then will they realice what they have done.

Am afraid of acepting limits that are not also imposed to the rod and reel guys, am pro bag limits,
    we have them now for pelagics.
    We need these laws, but they should be fair to all.

Geral, I know you know me, I love the camera, but I have always felt that the diference between the
    camera man and the spearo, is that the camera man has to buy food afterwards.;-)

• Maybe they should have a depth limit of say 40 + feet so that all barrier reefs (nurseries) are off limits to spearfishing and we can only hunt in the same waters as the commercial fleet. Couple that with a spearfishing license/fee and we can hopefully play an even field. My 2 cts.

Julio

p.s. Pucho, se nos jodio el Kiosquito Criollo!:(

• What alias of shot. I am so sorry you ate dealing with this fight Roberto. Is there anything we can do to help from mainland? I'll write some letters telling them I travel and spend a lot of money and would never go to pr if they pass this crap. Where should I send the letters?

i like to spear fish

• I'll write some letters telling them I travel and spend a lot of money and would never go to pr if they pass this crap. Where should I send the letters?

+1, just post up some physical and email addresses and I'll get to it asap, I'm sure they're going after spearfishing because you guys will make the least noise being that there's not too many, and then they'll start in on everyone else. I'm planning a PR vacation next summer, would hate to have to head elsewhere...

• I really dont know what to think, but how things are here anything could happen, hope that they at least gave us some options.

Julio, espero que no salga todo mal, a ver si tenemos suerte.

Pucho
    Aguadilla, Puerto Rico

• I can't speak for the rest of the Island reefs but as far as where I frequent (Vieques; Punta Arena, Pozuelo, Salinas and Patilla) the only reef damage I've seen are commercial fishing boat's anchor ropes along with their trademark grapnels wrapped around coral heads and longlines strewn throughout the reef. The rest of the reef life is plentyful. Parrotfish are everywhere and of all species.

Oh, did I forget to mention that while we spearos are sitting at home due to bad weather or low vis, the R&R fishermen and commercial fleet are out there pulling some fish tonnage and dragging their anchors?...yeah...we're the problem...BS!!!!!

• Roberto
    Please post the email addressees of the regulators and commissioners. We will bombard them with emails.
    Charlie

• Man going up against that kind of environmental anti-spearfishing mentality really sucks. Did you post this on spearboard as well? Sounds like you could use all the help you can get.

• Where do you find the time and places where this meetings happen? Are there anymore? The guy giving the suggestions probably doesn't even snorkel. Talking about parrotfishes being depleted....they're everywhere! How about all that other sh*t that's messing the environment.....like coastal development and such? The problem with the goverment here is that they only look for the bigger interests. It's a known fact that spearfishing is the most environmentally friendly way of harvesting fish. What causes more damage? a spearo shooting a couple of nice sized muttons or a guy catching and releasing over a dozen of small baby muttons trying to catch a decent size one often killing most of the small muttons since they're so fragile. We all could give a whole bunch more examples. It's easy to sit down and give recommendations citing the works of others why don't you get wet like we do and see for yourself, why don't you do like Roberto and his puertoricofreedivers (which I'm no member) and go and host/sponsor a lionfish tournament trying to control the fish since it's far more damaging than us spearos yet you all are doing nothing about it because signing papers and laws ain't killing them, or go and clean the bottom of the sea like we do. Let's be fair with all people that enjoy the sea WICH BELONG TO US ALL.

• Psychobilly brings up a good point. I'd like to see how the lionfish population is going to be kept at bay from then on. If they think it's a problem now...................

• W e had 5 public hearings along the island, thats were our chances are, I can say only one
    other guy went , Pucho.
    The email of the guy is right there, he is a well respected scientist in the island,
    all his other proposals are already aproved.He is a teacher in one of our best universities,
    and many of the marine biologists on the iland have been his students, he does not speaks
    very often, but they listen to him when he does.
    Now all public hearings are over, time to send letters too, but I will get you guys
    somewere to writte, but please, please, dont make mad the ones with the power here
    to banish spearfishing, or it will be worse.

I have been a member of the advisory pannel for some time now, and at least they have
    to listen to me, it was supost to be friday, but Richard applelton is sick and did not go,
    plus the meeting ended and there were some issues left, this been one of them.

I feel this empty feeling inside, dont know how to describe it, not even in spanish,
    cant eat and feel like throwing up, no joke, like a kid who lost his first girlfriend.

This next week, I will be sitting witht he right people, but I need some real scientific data,
    proof of things already done in our favor, that kind of stuff, no drama, no hate, but plain
    common sense, if you do have that I will really apreciate it.

As an example is was we did for the tuna permits, the now HMS permits, were we were
    allowed to use spears to target tuna, or what i did here in bajo sico, that they were going
    to allow us to target pelagic species in a reserve were no bottom species will be allowed.

I need the data were in Florida you guys will be allowed to shoot fish in a protected area
    for "red snmappers", were can I get that data from florida, stuuff like that.

Please dont writte hate letter or arguments , dont make this personal, I really really
    need them to have an open mind and be able to get them to see our point of view.

• In these situations is it appropriate to have a template letter to send in. I have seen it done in other cases with online petitions where you just have to enter some of you information, (name, email) and a
    letter is sent to the right people with your name on it.

Or if maybe a few different draft letters can be put together that people can modify slightly to make it personal. It will reduce the possibility of having someone with their heart and head in the right place from saying the wrong thing.

• Roberto I understand your feeling, and while you say to try and not make this personal you know well that it is personal. They are trying to take away this sport that we love so much. I don't consider myself a freediver I'm a spearfisherman. I don't go in the water trying to break any depth records, I go in the water and hold my breath so I can hunt a decent size fish and bring it home for dinner. It's our right todo so, and we shall not give it away without a fight. The real problem here always been with the enforcement of the fishing regulations. There is none or almost non existent. There are other ways of addressing the problem of overfishing because banning spearguns is not going to do nothing about it. We all know that what's depleting our marine resources are pollution, coastal development, commercial fishing among other things. I do accept that there are ''fishermen'' that do not respect any laws regarding seasons, sizes or limits but that bring us back to what I said earlier, THERE IS NO ENFORCEMENT. It's so bad that even most of the DRNA officers don't even know about the regs themselves! What really kind of got to me was the remark about true fisherman adapting to alternate gear. WTF! I could do more damage with other gear. What about ''chinchorros'', ''palangres'', ghost traps etc. Hey some of this gear is already banned but guess what? ENFORCEMENT. What I do believe is that true fishermen respect the environment, seasons, sizes and daily bags regarding of gear used. I'm not against all commercial fishermen, after all you have to make a living, but why should I give my right to fish so others can benefit from it, especially the ones that take everything there is in the sea. I belive that the solution can be found in other areas like closed seasons, bag limits, size limits, marine reseves etc. ENFORCEMENT. Educating the people who are using the resources and especially get their sh*t toghether so when you go to their offices and ask about a fishing regulations handbook they don't give you a blank stare and tell you that they don't know WTF you're talking about.

• psychobilly

I agree with you, but things are changing really fast, thats why am so worried,
    once this new law passes, the new fishing licences will be adopted and most of the
    money will go to guess what?, law enforcement.
    Only a 5.5% to education wich in my opinion would be the most benefit.
    I have the notebook you want, I ask for them, was given to me, already gave
    some to the club, if you want one, give me a call.
    I will be on top of this all week, and depending on the outcome I will
    be calling everybody to a meeting and see our real options, last time
    our winning option was a lawyer who also was a club member, Rosendo,
    I will never be able to thank him enough for what he did for us, and nobody
    even remembers or cares.
    The lines are been cut on were it is more thin, those without representaton
    will loose their right to fish, and almost all representation and of course more
    votes come from the comercial sector, none of the recreational want to spend
    any of their free time sitting and reading about regulations, specially when
    99% of them dont have to do with the way they fish.
    And for the way some spearos behave, I myself have almost throw the towel
    a few tmes.
    Send me a pm, we might need everyone, my club objective has always been
    the defense of spearfishing.