10/10/08 La Santa Fe - goat fish ...salmoneta.

• Well , some of you guys know how long I've been out of the water, I hit it today for the first time , not to deep , just to 15 ft. My goal was to get some goat fish . And hell they are spooky down here. In cuba I used to do target practice with schoolmasters and grunts , but now I am down to goat fish . I told dan I wante to get me a sling and practice wit it . It's a small fish but very good eating , today i didn't want to scale my small fish and make a mess at home so I even fillet them , not much but it's awsome to eat. Give me some imput if you care to .. and thanks in advance.

• I hear the red ones are better than the yellow. Did you get the yellow ones or both?

See any lobster?

You going out tommorow?

Davie Peguero

• I got the yellow ones. and i don't have any plans for tomorrow . lobster , robert got one i didn't really search for them , You know I didn't want to be to stuck to the bottom.

• It was good to see Sergio in the water finally.

Crew - Sergio, Alan, Roberto, Myself and a little later a fellow we picked up who was beach diving by the name of Slava.
    Location - North of the inlet. Initially we went south but water was very green. Sergio checked the current which was going north to south and decided to try the vis in the other direction which paid off.
    Sea surface - Almost flat.
    Temperature - Rashguards.
    Current - Strongish north to south early on diminishing a little towards noon. Made deep diving difficult due to having to kick all the way down.
    Visibility - Greenish 30' on the shallow reef and a stunning blue 60' on the deep wrecks. Could've been much better if not for a hazy top layer of about 3'. Lots of particulate near the surface looking like tiny brown sticks. Some of this stuff was stinging and causing rashes.

I was finishing off a new float last night and working on the one float flag I had. Trimming it down to minimum size I messed it up and consequently was diving without a flag on my float. At one point I got pretty far away from the boat. Because of the current I didn't want to spend my strength swimming back. All of a sudden I see a jetski coming right at me. I waved to make sure the driver saw me and realized he was aiming for me. Turned out to be a lifeguard and the ski had a rescue sled attached. He warned me about the flag and I was out of excuses. Fortunately they don't ticket and I got a ride on the sled back to the boat. This seems to be happening to me on a regular basis :)

Other than that nothing noteworthy, just another productive day with the Santa Fe and crew. I was looking for lobster but saw none. I too found the goat fish to be skittish. I don't remember them being that way in Cuba. I had to hurry home so I didn't take any pics other than my booty later in the evening. The guys had a bunch of fish too.

• Congrats Sergio! :thumbsup2: What a great day to break the proverbial cherry. Looking foward to diving with you guys again.

• Nice outing and a nice bunch of fish to go with it.

Sergio, I'm glad you're finally in the water again and I like your approach to get back. BTW, I tasted goatfish for the first time some months back and if I see a nice sized one it's going to get a shaft through it (if it gives me a shot). They are very good eating and yield a lot of meat for their size. I remember seeing a lot of them in Florida but I didn't think they were legal to spear.

• Hey, out of curiosity, are goatfish related to Red mullet? Red Mullet is eaten quite a bit in Italy and since we have Italians in here, maybe I can get some feed back on this. If it is, they are pretty damn good.

• Now for those fish you need a light maneuverable pipe gun with a 6.5mm shaft. You can get yourself a stringerfull of them and have a nice dinner. Good way to perfect your aim too. Yeah it's quite a change when a fish is actually aware of you and takes evasive action :D Makes me wonder if they're pressured over here as I didn't expect that to be part of their natural repertoire.

• yes toledo, i believe they are part of the mullet family.

fast little fuckers, hard to shoot:frustrated1:

Thanx.:thumbsup2: