Fear of spearfishing Barracuda

• I don't think a floatline is such a good idea to be using when doing reef fishing. Does anyone have problems with their mono lines tangling up in their bands when shot, especially when you only load one out of two bands?

• A Cuban spearfisherman in Miami taught me a neat trick for handling cudas. Once you have the shaft at hand, turn the fish over (belly up) and they automatically "freeze", then grab its gills ASAP. Works for me all the time.

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nEqgy6qbqM

I have been bitten by trigger fish and
    trunk fish, and the fish I most fear is the
    big needlefish, I have shot a few ones over
    3 feet long, and this fish would actually come
    back and do his best to take your head off,
    I mean, if any cuda or shark would behave
    like this, spearfishing would be a very
    diferent game.

• I don't think a floatline is such a good idea to be using when doing reef fishing. Does anyone have problems with their mono lines tangling up in their bands when shot, especially when you only load one out of two bands?

diesel, I am curious why you think this...I only hunt reefs as I have no boat so BW is out of the question and I find the Floatline to be ideal....I do an "inline" method, meaning the spear goes to the shooting line to the gun and the gun is attached to the FL...i have never had any issues with a tangle or other mix up with my FL..the shooting line will occasionally get wrapped in the loose band but never with the floatline cos the floatline is usually behind me and above me.

i like to spear fish

• The Atlantic side of Antigua here in the caribbean is 90% of the time rough. And wave constantly try to bash you against rocks and reefs, so I find it an obstacle to have a buoy with a long line floating behing you in such conditions, to be ideal. That line would be wrapped around ten rocks by the time you blink three times lol.

The pic in my avatar is on the caribbean side of the island, which is 99% of the time calm, but the water is always white lol. I find it strange that the rough side is always clear and the calm side is always white.

• I can add to the hand in the water bite.

Once while visting family in Key West, we took a boat ride through the canals where my family lived. Our 7 year old daughter was trolling with a lure for fun. Sure enough she caught a small cuda less than 1 foot long. When we got back to our dock, I put the almost 1 footer in the water and was moving it back and forth to get air to it's gills, then just as I was releasing it, and before my hand was out of the water, a two footer hit the 1 footer with lightening speed, cutting it in half, and barely missing my hand by about 1 inch. The larger cuda never did come back to eat the smaller one after leaving it in two pieces.
    That was the first time I had ever experienced something like that.

• +1 Agujones (needlefish) in Mexican Pacific always do that.:angry5: You really need to control them fast I`ve got a couple of punctures. UNtil I learn to put the fin blade in front of the fish, some times they bite the fin blade.;)

Sadot Hernàndez.

• congrats! it seems there is quite a honda following where you are

Yeah man! Hondas rule my country with an iron fist lol. I have owned three JDM Type R's.

nice lil fella! show dem barraz the fear of diesel!

lol. I got him in about 10ft of cloudy water at about 9ft away, thus the shot placement so high lol. Luckly I decided to walk with my Buechat Marlin 115 with reel, because that sucker took alot of line on the initial run :@.

• Yep. I think it is time to go back after that beast that took my fishing line. I saw this one yesterday following me on a shallow dive in some reefs. The one that took my line makes this one look like it's grandchild lol.

• Barracudas are easily taken without float or reel. Shoot them in the top half of their body preferably the head and pull them to you. Then straddle and brain them.

• Ignore them, they won't bother you. Highly unlikely, but they do like to hang around.

• Barracudas are easily taken without float or reel. Shoot them in the top half of their body preferably the head and pull them to you. Then straddle and brain them.

i agree to a point but u try shooting a 50+ pounder like we got where im from without stoning him and see how much u pull him to u lol

sounds dangerous if it doesnt stone him and your pulling his business end at you.

• How do you check all of those cuda for cig? Dont most of the one that large have it? Ive heard of a "cuban" method involving black ants? Any truth to that?

yeap i have many time and the way i discover it i was fishing in cuba with my best friend and we dint have a float so everytime we get one fish i put it over the rock and at the end of the day one cuda full of ants and the other one was not so we try at home and was the same thing .

i have to tell a story of what happen to me one time back in cuba .. i went with some friends to the coast and hang out we jump in the water drinking, having fun and i say to them let me check some rock to see if i find some lobsters , i when and check the first rock nothing whe i was at the secont rock i got a feeling that someone is trying to get my atention so i look up and all of then where there at the edge pointing down at me . ummm i say i turn it was a school of cudas about 2 to 3 foot i think it was like 10 or 15 of them . i grab the rock and hold my self down waiting for them to go away. they go around me two time and left, i was about 7m deep i swim up so fast that i came out up to my waist.lookimg for air. i never gonna forget that..:@

Que viva la pesca :cuba: