A couple of big ones

• I never go alone.

Well, as many of you may know it is a very (VERY) good eating fish. The meat is similar to the hogfish but even better for me. One of my favorites.

The story? Well, a couple of months ago, Fernando and myself had spotted this fish and we were trying to catch it for almost all that day long; every time we descended the fish got into a cave dissapearing, just to come out as soon as we were ascending to the surface. That was for like two hours and 20 inmersions to 70 feet each. After being exhausted, we decided that he earned his life.

This Sunday, I was doing an "aspetto" in the sand between some coral formations looking for muttons when I saw it coming. I made some noises I do to atract spooky fish, while hiding behind a "abanico" coral and it worked. It came just close enough to stay away from the reach of my 130 Rob Allen and turned to go away. I pushed myself forward with my left hand just to gain those 3-4 feet I needed to have a confortable shooting distance and aimed to his mid body. When I saw the shaft passing all the way through, I released everything and surfaced for air. It was a 1'58" dive at 72 feet. I didn't weight it and already had some fillets last night for dinner.

The permit was also funny. I just jumped into the water and it came over me from the dept. I only loaded one band, dived like 3 feet and shoot (I ALWAYS miss surface shots!). I didn't want to take the chance for him to go away and acted as fast as I could.

BTW, it could have been a world record. Take a look here:

http://www.iusarecords.com/display_record.php?id=350

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

BTW, it could have been a world record.

I was thinking the same thing as soon as I saw the picture.:0

Tremendo guacamayo! Congratulations.

• Too bad they are not legal to spear in Florida. I'm sure a lot of you have seen similar sized ones around the ero jacks in Dania Beach...I know I have.

• I was thinking the same thing as soon as I saw the picture.:0

Tremendo guacamayo! Congratulations.

Tu loro se ve mas grande que el record, definitivamente pudo haber sido el nuevo record. Esos loros de ese tamano saben leer y escribir no es nada facil tenerlos a tiro.
    Felicitaciones...

• oye marco , me voy a poner pa las cosas pa' q' me lleves a esos lugares tuyos , me bendas los ojos si quieres pero yo tengo q' ver eso y por mas , estoy loco por comerme uno de esos loros . hace tiempo q' no le meto manos. aqui no se puede.

• Tampoco te creas que hay muchos... Yo es el tercero que saco en 4 años viviendo aquí, pero es que tampoco le tiro a los pequeños.

Vente pá cá y salimos a pescar! ;)

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.