• at Meade st today
    begin at 830am-------------end at 5pm
    wind from S at 5mph------from S E at 12mph
    current from S to North at 2mph---same
    viz 30f in 35fsw -----------25f in 25fsw
    seas 2f--------------------2-3f
    water temp 73F
    air temp. 80F cloudless ---86F 10% clouds

scott an me started on the 2nd reef and had to tow/swim in to the first reef to find viz and fish:(
    Not sure how scott did. I got 1 hog, 2 mac, and 2 porgies in 8 1/2hours in the water
    We are down to wearing just 3mm suits and will finally be shedding our hoods and some lead next :thumbsup2:

• Wow Marco that shark was around for a Long time.
    Lost that white handle knife in the process?

The day looks great today. Can't wait to get back to the water, hope everyone out there are on the fish.

• That's not me. It looks like a newby. At the beggining, there is someone else holding the camera. Why didn't he hold the fish or load the speargun instead?

I would've shoot the motherfucker!

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

Edited once, last by Marco ().

• that is nutsmagoo from SB...he posted that a while back...he did all the filming himself which is really impressive, no one else was there.

all that for a small sheepshead...that shark has been fed by divers or stolen from spearos before...had to be

i like to spear fish

• I have never seen a shark stay around for that long.

That shark did not give up.

LB, do you happen to know where this was?

• looking into it...

Palm Beach

quote from the original....

Swam out from the beach in front of the breakers in Palm Beach this afternoon. Pretty rough water and not so great vis. Saw a decent sheepshead right away and got him. As I was putting him on the stringer and getting everything straightened out a bull shark(??) came to pay a visit. The spear shaft was still through the fish and I had just gotten the stringer through it's eyes. I decided to keep the fish with me and just drag everything along on my way to the shore. It took about 10 minutes to get to dry land and the shark followed pretty aggressively the whole way. As I was swimming in I stopped a few times to lunge at him and I took several jabs at him with my gun, striking him a couple times. I think I also might have kicked him a few times with my fins. During the last couple minutes I swam while holding the fish above water. Thought about trying to get rid of the fish, but I would have had to feed the stringer and the spear back through which would have taken time and required me to take my eyes off of the shark. Plus, from what I understand this is not a good idea anyway.

Just curious, for all of you more experienced guys, would you have done anything differently to be safer? I am sure I will encounter this situation again and want to make sure I am handling it the best way.

Here is the video:

http://www.vimeo.com/3276926

i like to spear fish

Edited once, last by LunkerBuster ().

• LOL. I love that music.

Has anyone us seen a shark act that way for that amount of time?

I have only had them come in a few times maybe for 1minute at most.(shore diving those same waters almost)

• LOMartin--I had an encounter with a bull a week or so ago
    I was on the Meade St 2nd reef
    I was VERY happy AFTER jumping up into my yak. I paddled all the way from the 2nd reef to within 50yd of the beach before I stopped to stow my gear away cause THAT shark followed me all the way to the beach.
    Glad I didn't have to swim in like nutsmagoo.
    The last few seconds of nutsmagoos video showing his face once he could stand on land is VERY telling.

PS--I stopped at Dans house today after spearing and picked up 2 new Pursuit Powerheads and pouch.
    Hope I don't have to TEST this piece of gear.

SPEARFISHING and RECREATIONAL FISHING NEEDS THE NRA
    Spearfishing Store

Edited 2 times, last by hau ().

• at Vista today
    begin at 800am-----------end at 5pm
    wind from E at 5mph------from ESE at 12mph
    current from S to North at 1/2mph---S to N at 1 1/2mph
    viz 45f in 50fsw -----------20f in 20fsw
    seas flat------------------2-3f
    water temp 74F
    air temp. 80F cloudless ---87F 10% clouds

RhodyHunter, sdeisen an me started on the 2nd reef and had to tow/swim in to the first reef to find viz and fish.
    We got blown at least a mile North an had to paddle back South to restart
    Fish were few an far between today. :(
    RhodyHunter put us right on the spot with his GPS :thumbsup2:
    RhodyHunters Ocean Kayak Trident Prowler Angler 15 is way faster than my Scupper Pro. (that or I'm just getting old and weak)

fishingdude--see you out there tomorrow bro :toast:
    ____

• Well, if he was alone, is another story...

Anyway, for solo dives in sharky waters I would use a platform able to carry the fish OUT from the water. A body board or something.

I've never been with such an insistent shark, but his gun is an open muzzle, which he could have loaded without keeping his eyes away from the bad guy. I don't know, call me ignorant, but the less sharks I see in the water, the best I feel.

Use your powerheads!

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.