Broward Beach Conditions

• Todays (8-29-10) weather sucks, so here is a report from a much nicer day on 8-27-10.

North of Port Everglades today
    begin at 1030am----------end at 1pm
    wind from E at 5mph--from SE at 10mph
    current S to N at 1/2mph--S to N at 1 mph
    viz 35f in 25fsw--------30f in 20fsw
    seas less than 2f------2f
    water temp 86F
    air temp. 88F no clouds overhead---95F 10% clouds overhead

Me an my buddy and my good friend Scott on the first reef today.:D
    The sky and sea top was beautiful.
    We didn't see any shootasble fish but we had a great time
    Thanks for the pass Scott :thumbsup2:

• holy shatt its windy!,, 27 from the east :angry5:

Time to break out the Surf Board Bro. Spearing looks bleak for a few more days and I am sure the vis will be crap into the weekend.

• North of Port Everglades today
    begin at 1;30pm--------end at 3;30pm
    wind from SE at 8mph--from SE at 10mph
    current S to N at 1mph--S to N at 1 mph
    viz 15f in 18fsw--------same
    seas 2f------same
    water temp 86F
    air temp. 90F 20%clouds overhead---95F 25% clouds overhead

Solo today as my dive buddy broke a clavical two days ago on our 30mi, bicycle ride. I got a weather status update call from sdeisen in Boca saying the seas looked diveable so I did a beach dive just to get wet and to check out the near shore viz.
    I spent 2 hours swimming out and back to the first reef.
    I didn't see any spearable fish in the low viz but if was just great to get back into the water. :thumbsup2:

• Went out today the Viz was great got 1 really nice mac, a nice hog and mutton. The current was running south but slow at times it felt like it wasn't even moving. My buddy got a hog that was around 22 inches may b bigger and a huge grover about 20 to 22 inches. All in all it was nice to be in the water.

• South of Port Everglades today
    begin at 8am--------end at 1230pm
    wind from SE at 3mph--from S at 5mph
    current S to N at 2 1/2mph--S to N at 1 mph
    viz 55f in 60fsw--------same
    seas less than 2------same
    water temp 86F
    air temp. 88F no clouds overhead---95F 15% clouds overhead

Solo today on the 3rd reef
    The sea and sky were beautiful
    This is the second day using my new Persuit mask
    The current was rippin so hard that I set out a 200f drift line behind my scupper:(
    So I'm driftin along when I see this NICE fish 55f below me. I think, "Wow, sure is nice to see the Jew fish becoming more common on the reef." So I watch him for 2-3min as he lays on the bottom, then he turns and I realize "Holy sheit, Its not a Jew, its a 3f grouper:@ I do a quick breath up and start my drop. He watches me come till I'm like 20f away then he starts a slow swim off. Out of air I go up. I spent close to an hour trying to outsmart him this way and that way. Finally I have to give up cause I have to quit for the day:(
    I did manage a 20in hog and 2 macs though.
    I thought I saw a floating fridge on my way back in :rolleyes1:

begin at 8am--------end at 1230pm
    wind from SE at 3mph--from NE at 8mph
    current S to N at 1 1/2mph--S to N at 1/2 mph
    viz 60f in 40fsw------40f in 40fsw
    water temp 86F
    air temp. 80F no clouds overhead---92F 15% clouds overhead

Solo today on the 2rd reef
    The sea and sky were beautiful
    The current and viz were much better today
    I got 2 macs an 1 mutton today
    _______

• North of the port today viz was spotty, it cleared up in some areas at the second then other places went to crap. I got 2 16" macs today, saw dozens of good size margates and grunts but I am starting to dislike those fish. Mike put some shinny stuff on your fins or use a flasher. I put some reflective tape on my fins and today the macs swam right up to me.

• North of the port today viz was spotty, it cleared up in some areas at the second then other places went to crap. I got 2 16" macs today, saw dozens of good size margates and grunts but I am starting to dislike those fish. Mike put some shinny stuff on your fins or use a flasher. I put some reflective tape on my fins and today the macs swam right up to me.

im guessing you put it on the top (side facing down when cruising the surface) of your fins? do you just use a strip or cut out a shape?

• Hau and I from 0830 to 1500
    seas were 0-1.5 with mixed currents from the south to north and not too much wind

we started out heading to the back edge of the 2nd reef and found little action at first. viz was 50 ft in 35fsw
    I got stuck in an annoying game with a mutton at this spot. I was working on keeping my chin tucked for good streamlining on decent and i was looking behind me as a I dove as a result...I kept seeing this nice mutt coming in to check me out as I landed on the sand in 40 ft...every time I would level off and turn to either side, all i would see was him leaving...on the third drop i decided to tuck in instead of leveling off forward and basically was upside down going towards him, he didn't move at all!! i wasnt comfortable shooting updside down because honestly I never have before and i tried to barrel roll for a shot and WHOOSH, gone. not really sure what the lesson is here..get better bottom time and aspetto ? :D

we ended up moving onto the second reef and didnt see much to shoot as we battled bad current. we stayed in the second until the vis went to about 35ft and we had to move shallower and hit a great spot on the first with nice relief and lots of life.

Hau had a bad dance with a thick hog who took him about 150 yds down current with nothing but a long swim to show for it.

I played around with my new 90 cm RA and i lost a nice 16 inch goat fish because I was stupid and tried to shoot down from above at a small silhouette rather than waiting til my next dive and stalking him well:( obvious lesson learned here...still quite happy with the gun..great for firs reef work and as a back up for rare boat trips

pretty great day on the water though. ended up with two hogs and a schoolmaster

i like to spear fish

Edited once, last by LunkerBuster ().

• Dove jst south of John u Lloyd with miamipescador today at 8:30 am, stayed in the first reef, viz was 15ft wind around 5 knts and seas pretty flat. Not much life there, saw a few small mutts and jorge shot a 4ft cuda

begin at 830am--------end at 1pm
    wind from SE at 5mph--from SE at 8mph
    current S to N at 1 1/2mph--S to N at 1 mph
    viz 40f in 40fsw------20f in 15fsw
    water temp 86F
    air temp. 82F 10% clouds overhead---96F 10% clouds overhead

Solo today on another near perfect weather day
    Had boats all over me today. Everybody from beach spearos to 2tank scuba spearos on scooters were in the water today. So I only got 2 hogs in 4 1/2 hours in the water.
    But I had fun, thats all that matters

• Dove jst south of John u Lloyd with miamipescador today at 8:30 am, stayed in the first reef, viz was 15ft wind around 5 knts and seas pretty flat. Not much life there, saw a few small mutts and jorge shot a 4ft cuda

21 pounds 3 ounces on the scale, what a beast!!

I would say that vis was top to bottom on first reef, and around 10 feet looking in front. The top water column was murky as hell. Water would seem to be alot better with 5 mph winds..