Broward Beach Conditions

• Got out this morning a little late with HWD. Saw hau on the way out and talked to him for 5 minutes but he had to go in. The water was flat as a lake and visibility was awesome on the first ledge/reef. We stayed around the first ledge most of the time and I shot a 13 inch Trigger fish and a 12 inch mangrove snapper. We started to come in and decided to stop at the Boulders out of Perry st. I stayed on the kayak and followed HWD around while he was water. He called me over and he speared a fat 18 inch mangrove snapper. The conditions were perfect. Hope to get out again tomorrow. :thumbsup2:

An 18" Grover off the boulders is amazing!!

Glad you all had a good day

Happy new years

i like to spear fish

• 1-1-12__#1-2012m1
    South of Port Everglades today
    begin at 830am--------end at 1130am
    wind from N at 5mph---N at 8mph
    current N to S at 1 1/2mph --same
    viz 30f in 25fsw-----same
    seas almost flat----same
    water temp 75F
    65F cloudless--78F cloudless overhead

Today was another perfect yak freedivin spearfishing day and first spearin day of the new year.
    Today was the first day that the viz returned to near normal
    Saw more shootable fish today an ended with 3 hogs, 1 porgy an 1 lesser aj. Saw a nice hog an mac that were too smart for me
    I'm wearing my Pursuit 3mm open cell 2pc suit now an stayin warm up to 6 hours in the water. This is the 3rd winter I have worn the same suit. That is aprox 130 DAYS I have speared with the same suit. :thumbsup2:

• 1-2-12__#2-2012m2
    begin at 930am--------end at 4pm
    wind from W at 5mph---W at 8mph
    current N to S at 1/2mph --same
    viz 35f in 30fsw-----25f in 25fsw
    seas almost flat----2f and building
    water temp 73F
    68F cloudless--72F overcast

Best part about today was getting to see my old friend sdeisen. He saw my truck parked, put in and paddled all the way out to the second reef and found me. We had not talked so I did not tell him where in the whole sea I was hunting. He just instinctually knew where to look for me. :hail1:
    I missed a nice mac today, saw a 5f nurse shark that was acting all agitated under us and even came half way up to me when I had a fish on. (I miss my Tin Man muzzle with kill spike).
    Ended with some reef fish and one hog.

SPEARFISHING and RECREATIONAL FISHING NEEDS THE NRA
    Spearfishing Store

Edited 2 times, last by hau ().

• likewise brother :D Was great gettin in the water with ya,, just like old times. Most importantly I hope you saw the beach buns I saw when you landed :@

AS far as a report I was expecting far better viz considering all other conditions were ideal (current and flatness)
    I also missed a very very nice mac and saw little else. the nurse shark was a boisterous little guy,, he would turn towards ya when you'd think he was getting close enough to turn away

Scupper Pro Gives You Wings!

• 1-6-12__#3-2012m2
    begin at 830am--------end at noon
    wind from N at 2mph---N at 5mph
    current S to N at 1/2mph --same
    viz 35f in 35fsw-----25f in 25fsw
    seas almost flat-----less than 2f
    water temp 74F
    68F cloudless--76F 10% clouds

Sea was almost flat this morning and there was almost no boats out.
    Found a spot off the beaten path that held some fish that had not been shot at for a day or so Saw several 12-14in hogs but could not locate any shootable boars I'm starting to feel a little cool after 4 hours in the water with my 3mm and may soon have to switch up to my 5/3 winter suit.
    Saw only a few moon jellies today and the weather is beginning to act more like Miami winter. Ended with 1 mutton and 1 28in mac

• 1-7-12__#4-2012m3
    wind from N at 3mph---N at 5mph
    current S to N at 1/2mph --same
    viz 50f in 50fsw-----same
    seas flat---------flat
    water temp 74F
    68F cloudless--80F 10% clouds

OMG what perfect yak freedive spearfishing conditions out there today :thumbsup2:
    I launched, paddled out the 2nd reef, looked down, got excited and paddled out to the 3rd I dropped the anchor on top of the 3rd reef, saw there was no current and then really got excited. Not often are conditions good enough to dive the 3rd reef from a yak, but today was the day.
    As I made my first drop I saw several large fish below. When a fish looks good sized 50f down, it is usually a good fish. I got 3 hogs and 1 mutton today. Saw a dozen moon jellies and several sharks and tons of fishing boats around me.
    Hope others got to enjoy todays conditions

• Went off Hollywood this afternoon from 2 to 5. Just yesterday evening I was hunting ducks in Louisiana, hit the road and made it back here in time to catch a day on the water before classes start.:thumbsup2: The vis was great, guessing around 30 ft on the first reef. I managed 4 bugs and a hogfish. The grouper seem to know it's January.. 2 legals were taunting me.:(

• Hey Nate--you passed me yesterday on Ocean Drive/Collins as you were headed home with your yak on top your truck. I was also going south on my tri bike doing a 20mi training ride near the Diplomat. Glad to see you back in town sir. Others have been getting bigger bugs last 2 weeks in my zone.

• Late report for: 1-8-12__#5-2012m3
    wind from E at 3mph---N at 10mph
    current N to S at 1mph --same
    viz 50f in 50fsw-----45F in 40fsw
    seas less than 2f----2f and building
    water temp 74F
    67F 10% clouds--82F 10% clouds

Todays conditions were not as good as yesterday, but I was still able to dive the 3rd reef til I broke a fin blade. I had shot a 23in boar hog and the very next drop I was on the sand in 60fsw lookin for another boar. As I started up, the left blade snapped in to. Is exciting being on the bottom in 60fsw when a fin blade brakes and you have 60f to swim up with one fin
    So my spearin day was cut short at noon, but I got to see fish2400 at the beach when I landed. He and a newbe got fish also. For some reason there were few beach buns. Saw drift patches of moon jellies today.
    Today makes 3 days in a row of spearin. Hope is means that Miami area winter spearin conditions are here.

• I got out on saturday and did a long drift between hollywood and haulover @ 25-45 ft.

Between the bad weather and worse schedule I haven't been able to dive in so long it was starting to effect my sanity. So it was great just to be back in the water. Vis was better up north near port everglades, but we wanted to explore some new areas further south.

We got 2 nice hogs, a trigger, a cero, and kept a few fat lion fish. I also ran into a dolphin pod while scouting early in the morning and got to chase them around for a minute. As hau said, I hope this weather is here to stay for a while. My wife is making an invasive species ceviche right now.

Some pics

Edited 2 times, last by Reefchief ().