Broward Beach Conditions

• That sucks i'm here in kissimmee and with the hot sunny weather today i was thinking about how much i desire to be in the water hunting. I was daydreaming while making the lines for the rides in Bush Gardens:D.

• at Dania pier beach today
    begin at 830am--------------end at 130pm
    wind from SSE at15mph----same
    water temp. 72deg
    current from S at about 1mph--same
    viz 25f in 25fsw---------same
    seas 4f in 25fsw
    air temp.75PC------78deg PC

Me and Scott lost NO gear going in and out through the 3f beach surf:D
    rough day out on the 2nd reef in a yak today with4f high seas and low viz:(
    finally found my #spot and got 1 mack, 1 18in hog and 2 spade:) Missed a nice mack:(
    Today was day 6 in a row spearin:thumbsup2:

SPEARFISHING and RECREATIONAL FISHING NEEDS THE NRA
    Spearfishing Store

Edited 2 times, last by hau ().

• pargo---you are correct, today was not the day. We had 2 spearos abort before even getting in the water.
    1 yak flipped and dumped gear into the surf. He was very, very lucky we found everything.
    Beach erosion was high and beach viz was 0 so the jaxs were not even divable.
    The kiteboarders were thick and could have been a real danger to a spearo with only a float.
    There were at least 2 dozen surfers right at the yak launch/landing spot
    You know the seas are getting high when you cannot see the buildings when you are sitting on your yak at the bottom of a wave.:D

Also, you can always call my cell for a faster condition report instead of waiting till I post. I always check the phone everytime I get back into the yak during the day:D
    [ 1 spearo said to give him a call this morning when we saw what the viz was:thumbsup2:]

Spearfishing Store

Edited once, last by hau ().

• pargo---yes, from the water.:) Yes, from the yak:D
    Best part is, I was calling him from the 2nd reef to warn him of the rough conditions when he said to call him back when we saw what the viz was:D

I tell them that it is a team effort==Us against the fish:D
    Today was day 6 in a row spearin for me:thumbsup2:

Spearfishing Store

Edited 2 times, last by hau ().

begin at 930am-------------------end at 630pm
    wind from SSE at 8mph----------same
    water temp 73deg in 30fsw
    current from S at 1 1/2 mph----from S at maybe 1/2mph
    viz 25f in 25fsw------------------same
    seas 3f in 25fsw-----------------2f or less in 25fsw
    air temp 75deg PC--------------78deg cloudless

Todays wind and surf conditions were much better than yesterday
    Spent 9 hours IN the water today:D
    Got no real good fish. 1 18in hog, 1 26in cero, and 8 spade fish
    Today ended as a beautiful yak spearin day
    Today was day 7 in a row yak/spearin:thumbsup2:
    OK, gotta go clean fish

begin at 930am---------------end at 1pm
    wind from W at 5mph--------from SE at 9mph
    water temp 73deg in 25fsw
    current from N at 1 1/2mph---from N at 1/2mph
    viz 30f in 25fsw--------------same
    seas FLAT--------------------2f or less
    air 78deg PC-----------------80deg PC

Stevo and I went spearin today. Today was a beautiful yak/spearin day.:thumbsup2:
    Took Stevo out to a spot I found and we never moved off that spot all day:D
    I got 2 cero, 1 spade and 1 bonito
    Stevo got fish also. Hope he posts his story.
    Today was day 8 IN A ROW SPEARIN for me:thumbsup2:

• Yep was a great day to be in the ocean. Conditions were great:D. I got a nice porgy, couple ceros and a good grunt. I saw lots of short muttons and groupers. Best part was when Hau started to clean his fish and thowing the guts in the ocean. sharks and large eals were abound.

• spearos--:(

SATURDAY
    NORTHEAST WINDS AROUND 20 KNOTS. NEAR SHORE...SEAS 6 TO
    8 FEET. IN THE GULF STREAM...SEAS 7 TO 9 FEET BUILDING TO 9 TO
    11 FEET. NORTHEAST SWELL 2 FEET. INTRACOASTAL WATERS ROUGH IN
    EXPOSED AREAS. SLIGHT CHANCE OF LIGHT SHOWERS.
    SUNDAY
    NORTHEAST WINDS 20 TO 25 KNOTS. NEAR SHORE...SEAS 6 TO
    8 FEET. IN THE GULF STREAM...SEAS 9 TO 11 FEET SUBSIDING TO 7 TO
    9 FEET. NORTHEAST SWELL 2 TO 3 FEET. INTRACOASTAL WATERS ROUGH IN
    EXPOSED AREAS. SLIGHT CHANCE OF LIGHT SHOWERS.

National Weather Service
    Generated 1412 UTC, Wednesday, Mar 18, 2009
    __

• OK, here is a true fish story from yesterday.
    Part 1; I shot a 26in mack in the gut, was taking it off my RA shaft with slip tube. I wasn't paying enough attention and the mack jerked once and slipped out of my hand and swam straight down into a very small hole in the top of the reef in 20fsw. The hole in the reef was so small I could just barely see part of the macks tail. I made another mistake and took my eyes off the spot for a split second and then lost the spot where the mack was. I searched for 15min and gave up feeling bad that I had lost a nice fish. :( I swam a 360deg circle around my yak anchor and ended the swing at aprox the same spot where I lost the mack. Down on the reef top was about a dozen small reef fish acting strange. I watched and realized that the reef fish were looking [pointing] at something down in the reef. It was my mack still in the same hole.
    Part 2; I now could see the macks head just partially exposed in the hole. This time I did not hesitate. I did a very short breath up, dropped straight down, grabbed the reef in my left hand and reached down into the hole and grabbed the mack by the throat. The hole was so small i nicked my suit as I pulled the mack out. I held the mack with both hands going up.
    Part 2 would have made an interesting video to see a spearo swimming along, stop and drop down onto the reef, reach down a hole and pule out a nice 26in mack:thumbsup2:

Now I was very happy to have gotten my mack and not wasted such a nice fish:thumbsup2:

Spearfishing Store

Edited 4 times, last by hau ().

• Well hau i know i harrass you for no pics all the time. But at least a small little story like that is as good:thumbsup2:. Glad you got the fish, will be a shame to loose some protein like that. Lucky you were able to notice the fish acting up, and located the fish again. good Job:thumbsup2:

• Good story hau, I didn't know wounded macks will hole up. I guess it's a last resort genetically programmed behavior for many fish to hole up even if they never normally do it. Could be a sort of revert to an earlier stage in the fish's development, I believe most fish will hide for survival as youngsters.