Reflective/holographic tape/stickers??

• yoyo SD, im wondering what reflective tapes or stickers you use on fins, gun, or what have you... Ideally looking for the best sticking, water-resistant, low-profile (thickness) material

I have found this.. which kinda lead me to another question of what pattern would attract fish best? or just reflective?

IDENTI-TAPE - Holographic Tape

Also, from my understanding flashers are generally utilized in blue water, hunting pelagics. My question is does having permanent flashers on fins or whatever have any effect on reef living fish?? positive or negative?

New to the forum sorry if this is a repeat subject.

Thanks in advance
    -AL :thumbsup2:

• i don't have too much first-hand knowledge on the topic, but from what i've read on sb, it's better to go with a spearing brand because some of those other reflective tapes come off after a dive or two and are just annoying to keep up with. i know mako has tape on their site for a reasonable price

i'm also interested in knowing how this tape performs in reef diving situations, though.

• I use the lure tape sold at Basspro cut in different patterns, also the transparent one with scales on it gives great depth when applied over a solid color. Been holding up fine and is extremely bright

• Thanks for the link Alejandro. i was looking for a spearing brand.... but really? do they only sell it by the piece and give NO dimensions? :crazy:

Dimensions: 8" Long x 2.5” Wide

I cut the mako name off and stick it to the under side of my gun just so if I happen to drop it, the lower side will be facing up and that will be much brighter than the graphite finish the gun has.

I had some on my fins, but recently took them off because I was told it looked more like a seal than a fish.. Never liked the flashiness anyways..

Long Beach Neptune

USCG 50GT

• Ive only used one type of tape and its has worked really well for me. Right when I started using them a lot of macks starting to come it closer to me to check me out, and i've also noticed the cuda's following me more. ANd yes, it does kinda catch the shark's eye when they're a crap ton of them around lol.

But the brand I use is called REFLEXILE. ive never had to change them, and they're still shiny to this day. The adhesive on them is amazing, never had one fall off. The commercial longliners use them on their hiflyers to mark them bouys.

Here's some pics

• Ive only used one type of tape and its has worked really well for me. Right when I started using them a lot of macks starting to come it closer to me to check me out, and i've also noticed the cuda's following me more. ANd yes, it does kinda catch the shark's eye when they're a crap ton of them around lol.

But the brand I use is called REFLEXILE. ive never had to change them, and they're still shiny to this day. The adhesive on them is amazing, never had one fall off. The commercial longliners use them on their hiflyers to mark them bouys.

Awesome! do you have a website or store you got this tape from?

Also, what is your reasoning for your tape placement (top of fin? i couldnt see, bottom) and style ( lil pieces all over).

• I will never use reflective tape. I'd rather get fish the good ol' fashion way, one time seeing sharks gettin haywire around shiny baitfish was enough for me. and seen too many fin nippin sharks in videos and stories on this forum,, but hey that's just me, ive never pulled chum on my shoredive float either :rolleyes1:

On a more helpful note I think lunkerbuster has had the same tape on his gun since i met him years ago and its still shiny

Scupper Pro Gives You Wings!

• Awesome! do you have a website or store you got this tape from?

Also, what is your reasoning for your tape placement (top of fin? i couldnt see, bottom) and style ( lil pieces all over).

I try to cut them into small random shapes and place them all over the fin with more on the bottom than on the top. Reasoning behind that is the bottom is going to be flexing more than the top, making the reflecters shine. Reasoning behind small pieces like that is to imitate the shine of baitfish.

I got them from a commercial fishing supply store in Madiera Beach, FL called F.I.S.H- Fisherman's Ideal Supply House. I'm sure if you look for where the commercial guys get their stuff from in Miami, they'll have something similar

• I have never tried tape on my fins, do you guys really see an increase in fish attraction? I can see how Jacks would follow you up through the water column or getting macks to swing a little closer I guess. I was thinking tape or better a small mirror on the tip of my gun (think below the shaft) in order to give them something to look at while I line up. I just might try some tape on the fins in Baja next month. Thanks for passing on the type of tape.

"Whiskey don't make liars, it just makes fools. So, I didn't mean to say it, but I meant what I said."
    -James McMurtry

• Just wanna let u guys know too the type of flasher tape you get on ur fins is important too. Had a buddy get some really cheap stuff from Michaels and after the first use it looked like duct tape on his fins :D

• I have never tried tape on my fins, do you guys really see an increase in fish attraction? I can see how Jacks would follow you up through the water column or getting macks to swing a little closer I guess. I was thinking tape or better a small mirror on the tip of my gun (think below the shaft) in order to give them something to look at while I line up. I just might try some tape on the fins in Baja next month. Thanks for passing on the type of tape.

it helps with yellow tail in bad vis . the flash makes them curious and they come in for a look. i dont know how much it helps in clear water
    phil

• as far as how they help, it is mostly for your confidence BUT there have been a few times i was glad to have my gun taped up.

I used to have my fins taped but I sold them and the sticker i tried didnt stay on the CF fins. I do however have both of my RA's taped, in different patterns and I have had good experiences. the most common thing that will happen is with macks and jacks...i will see one doing it's fast pass through an area and I will do a sprint dive at it and stick my gun out twords it but not right at it, then i trun the gun a few time and the fish will often freeze and look at the gun, this allows me the half second to actually line it up and shoot.

i also have had great success using my gun as a flasher...I drop the gun and let it sink..then i bob it a few times to make the tape flash and pull it up to me quickly...triggers love to follow it all the way up and right to the cooler :)

i like to spear fish

• Saw those in action this week diving with Ben and they looked great, Ben hook me up with some ;)

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele