Lucky or Good? 19DEC Dania

• So SeaWeed, TurboRon, pargo, and I went diving on Friday off of TurboRon's boat. Got a late start, but we had some fun. Aside from pargo almost getting run over, it was pretty good. We just went off out of Dania, water started rough, but calmed later in the day. Visibility was so-so, about 30 feet in some areas. Mostly did some diving on second reef, but at one point we hit a barge in about 65 feet. It took us a while to find it because of the vis.

After a bit, pargo finds the spot, so I swim over and breathe up. On my first dive I pass through a school of lesser amberjacks, and continue down. I land on top of the wreck, but the visibility was only about 20' at this point. I see a nice sized yellowjack and take the shot. I grab the mono to try and keep the fish out of the wreck. I had to come up and I kept tension on my floatline. All of a sudden, it goes slack, and I'm pissed. I pull up the gun without a shaft on it.:angry5:.

I grab my small gun and immediately try to find the wreck again to try and see if the fish was in the wreck. No luck. The current had swept all of us off and we didn't mark the wreck when we found it. After about 20 minutes and several dives later, I find it again. I get to the wreck and I see this fish lying upside down on top of the wreck! I decide to attach my floatline to the wreck to mark it, because I was low on air and didn't want to lose the wreck again. One more dive and I had the fish + shaft in my hand!!!:hooray:

So I'm lucky to find the fish, but fortunately it also was a good shot.:D

• Cool! I forgot about that pic. You know Jim you make all your fish look small, that was a hefty YJ. That inexperienced young FWC officer mistook it for a legal sized AJ. Yeah sheer luck with the YJ especially considering the conditions. But If I could find a fish that took my shaft the next morning then anything's possible. I thought the depth finder marked 75ft at the wreck. Maybe the top was in 65. Can't wait to get in shape again and do some of those deeper spots.

• JimCuda,
    Nice story, very nice pic and fish. Glad you got your fish and shaft back:thumbsup2:
    Looks like I may have to go further out than 40fsh to get nice fish like that:(
    Thanks for sharin.

No way! I've seen nice YJ's that size in 35 ft over the reef in Miami.

I didn't have my dive watch that day, so I dunno about the depth. I think it was in 60 feet, 65 to the bottom.

• Yes - conditiions on the wreck were less than ideal to say the least. :(

But the day turned out nice on the inshore reef! :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Autocross Junkie