Camera choice for underwater pics

• After some deliberation I bought the Canon SD1000 black, I like the retro look, with a waterproof case. The total cost including shipping was $335. If I had some more money to toss around I would have bought the Canon G7.

Canon WP-DC13 waterproof case.

These were some of my first pics taken with the camera in the housing.

I haven't been out with the camera yet in great visibility conditions so I can't post any underwater pics that would show the quality that the camera is capable of. Here's one pic of so so quality.

As a side note I made a leap with my understanding of digital photography. I came to realize that the camera is only a basic capture instrument with a weak engine for processing the data it captured. Nevetheless the data is still there although it is not immediately apparent. A much more powerful engine is your PC with a program like Photoshop. You can take practically any pic and make it look fantastic. These pictures are heavily edited and you would not believe it if you saw the originals. Looking at it from this perspective this camera will do fine for my needs. It takes decent video as well and gives me ample time on a 4GB card.

• Back on the SeaLife,
    I understand the not trusting “waterproof camera” I also have my doubts after a drop on concrete or two. But for the money (DC600 $189 at “River Marine” in Miami) it seems like such a deal.
    The small size works well for mounting on a gun.

I just wanted to bring it up as an alternative to buying a camera$300.00 and housing$150.00= $450.00 or a right nut. . .
    I do like the fact that Dan’s setup can be used in and out of the water and fit nicely in a pocket out of its housing.

• You got it wrong Larry. My whole setup camera and case was $300 total and that was a year ago. You should be able to get it for $250 with a little searching.

WHATTTTT!!!!!!!!!

That’s crazy. .. .I need better vendors.

I started looking into this last night for friend that’s buying camera. All I was finding was these 400-500 dollar setups on the low end with crazy 800+ setups on the high end it seemed ridiculous to me.

Was this new/used? Best Buy?

• just ordered the canon sd1100 3x 8.0mp.

i had to use up my amex memebership rewards card points, it comes with 2GB card,

Should I upgrade to the 4GB? i am also looking at buying the underwater housing, should I stick with

the canon WP-DC22, or is something like Ikelite a better choice?

BTW, if the camera was a bad choice, its too late:D, although i have read some good reviews.

Thanks,

• SD1100

The SD1100 looks identical to the SD1000 and I don't think they'd change anything for the worse. You've seen some of my pics, I'm happy with the SD1000. I think you'll be happy with the SD1100. I haven't used it much underwater so I can't comment on the durability of the Canon case as far as keeping water out. But it is comfortable to use and not too big. I understand that the Ikelite are always much bigger/bulkier cases for the same camera. This is something you need to consider if you plan on mounting it on a gun or even in general. 4GB cards are cheap nowadays, you can get one for $20. I'd only get it if you plan on using the video function of the camera. Video is what takes the most storage space. Here's a link to a video I shot with the SD1000.

• Wow, prices have really dropped on quality cameras. Found the SD1100 new for $150 after a 2 minute search http://www.refurbdepot.com/productdetails2.cfm?Product_ID=6693&refererid=froogle. I'm sure it can be found for even less. The underwater housing though should maintain its price. It's more expensive than the camera.

• thanks for the feedback.

i agree the prices have dropped, electronics become obsolete quickly. i got the camera basically for free

with the points. it was either the canon the or a sony.

the housing is rather pricy.

• I wouldn't say obsolete. I believe the only reason they change the models nowadays is for marketing purposes. This is very apparent with the SD1000 and SD1100. The technology inside has been stabilized for 3-4 years already and may have reached it's limits.