Camera choice for underwater pics

• funny we're talking about flooding. I just got off the phone with fishingdude. His Olympus Stilys 10-30 flooded yesterday and he said that his retailer, TVs Depote told him to send back the camera, copy of receipt and copy of warranty to get a new camera:thumbsup2:
    To early to tell if he really is getting a new camera with no hassle or not.
    I'll keep checking with fishingdude for the results of the warranty and let you know.

• Well I'm going to bring this old Thread to life so i don't have to open a new one. I'm in the process of buying a new camera while here in Kuwait so i can take pictures of my time in the dessert. But i want to buy a camera that i can use while spearfishing as well. Does any of you guys have any recommendations?. I don't want to buy a camera and then don't be able to find a suitable UW case for it. I know technology have evolved a lot so i guess they have new models out there that can do video in a good quality. Please post any that you think gets the job done. And about those Sea life cameras. I used them for a long time. And they gave a me a lot of headaches. the reason i stay with them is becasue that is the brand we sold in the scuba store i used to work so we have to promote them. =).
    They flood to often, and the quality is not the best. They might have gotten better in the more expensive line. but i lost a little faith in them. So who knows

Cheers

• Hi Alvin, my recommendation is to get a camera that is waterproof itself without the housing AND the housing. I have an Olympus and I am very happy with it. It has flooded about 4-5 times (my fault) but is still working. Just realize that even a hair in the o-ring will let the water enter into the housing.
    I also recommend to get the camera and the housing from the same supplier just in case that anything fails. On the other hand, technology goes very fast and maybe you won't find a housing for a camera you bought just a couple months earlier.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• I've been looking into that. Sony put out a new camera out with really good specs but there is no housing out for it yet. Ikelite still considering on creating one for the new models that are out...I will look into the waterproof ones to see if there is something out there with good reviews

• I have a Panasonic FX-35 and it works well as was not that expensive. I have also heard good things about the newer model FZ or something.

• I have a Fuji F40fd w/ 40m Fuji Housing that I have on Craiglist for sell. I want to upgrade to a Cannon IS100 with 60m Ikelite Housing. Films in HD for over 2 hours and hold over 3,000pictures.

• i just got the gopro hd...it takes 5mp stills but it has a wide angel lens ....I have another friend's wedding this weekend, but I should get to dive a lot after this weekend...vids and sample pics to come

i like to spear fish

• Dan, where did you buy your setup from? I'd like to get a small point-and-shoot along with a housing to take diving, just something on the cheap end. I wish they made a housing for my P90, but I guess that's not possible with a super-zoom. Ikelite has a setup on their site that includes the housing and a pretty basic Nikon for $390.