EPIC Day off KB

• This is really a tease as I have not done any work with the limited videos I took BUT....I did need to give a little report

left KB at 10, headed to 333 ft of water and set out lines and drifted the wrecks in to 120ft.
    no action but 0-1 ft seas and amazing water. I have brought some BW gear incase we found any mahi so i jumped in the water and dropped my gun attached to 100' of floatline....I could see it clear as day hanging at the bottom of the line :@

jumped off the boat over a wreck in 75 ft and I could see the whole wreck from the surface!! water was magical turquoise and the vis was over 100ft here too.

made our way into about 45 -50 ft where ther eare more wrecks and drifted into the deepr reef line at 40.

I did very well at this depth...there was a layer of WARM murk that was on the top 5-7 ft which made surface spotting a little more challanging but I finally broke my Mutton curse(18"er in the boat) found two beast mangroves in the 17" range, and a nice YJ for sashimi after a safety freeze :)

caught an 11" mangrove H&L and my newb buddy shot a jolyhead porgy (great panfish) to round out the catch.

I did have a really ammoying game of chase with a HUGE black in 35 fsw...for the second day in a row, I spotted one on the move and was a ble to track and follow to the point where i really should have taken a shot w my 120 but I knew that would be the last chance so I kept waitig and waiting hoping I'd get a little closer on the nect dive....D'oh! gone..I would estimate this black at 34" inches and in the 20+ lbs range..he was THICK.

pics and weak vids to follow soon..I never seemed to have the camera on the right dives so I dont have really any good fish killing footage.

I hope others got out yesterday off miami because it was a very special day on the water:thumbsup2:

i like to spear fish

• God he is. I really have been torturing myself. I had really three chances and played all three wrong for different reasons. I kept just barely losing him as I would hit the murk on top and have to find him again. This usually consisted of me spooking him and trying to keep up enough to see where he stopped without showing so much interest that he would not stop

One dive he double backed and I dove right on top of him. I must have had a quiet duck dive because I was right over him and saw him juuuuust before he saw me. On that drop I couldn't get the whole 120 extended and aimed and he did a hard bank. Next attempt the bastard was doing crazy Ivan's and kept givin me shots but I never knew which way he would juke. I finally guessed right and had a shot but it was about ten to fifteen feet from the gun which is really a very long shot and I thought of get a better shot
    The last opportunity was a real bitch. I had him in an area of reef but didn't know exactly where and I was just sealing one entrance when my buddy dives and spooks him right out at me. I swing the gun around and I have a half a second and boom he's back in the cave. This time I figured he was gonna flee hardcore so I yell to my boy to drop and I'm gonna scare him out in his direction. It works and my buddy whiffs on the shot!!!! Gone daddy gone, oh well, I'll find him next time

i like to spear fish

• That guy had me all twisted up. I really needed to calm down, try an aspetto and see if I could get him curious. Chasing and attacking was NOT working.

i like to spear fish

• Yeah. I really sucked at grouper this weekend.

Or my eyes were awesome and I just saw a lot more that we're normally long gone ??

We all know it is the former hahahahha

To answer your question, I saw three or four on Saturday one who was large. Plus 12-15lbs.

Off Miami there were a LOT of small gags. Easily saw a dozen or more between the three divers. A few up to the low 20" range. And about four small blacks. Then the one massive one who mocks me

Wow. That is a depressing recounting, damn. Haha oh well. It bodes well for the stocks

i like to spear fish

• Damn that sounds like an epic day indeed! I haven't been down that way in a long time. Is there anything down that way close to shore within swimming or yak distance or is it primarily boat only?

Can't wait to see the pics/vids!

• You can take a kayak off kb but make sure it is a real flat day as it is at least a mile to workable reef Bring a big dive flag and a float to keep over uou

i like to spear fish

• okay...I have failed in my promise but not from lack of trying...I have some images but they are on my desktop and the wifi is not working so I have to get a thumbdrive and move the pics

I will replace this excuse post with pics hopefully around lunch

i like to spear fish

• I dove a few time in the 70' range but stopped at around 55' cos I wasn't confident.
    Short answer is that I am not goo enough to dive those wrecks just yet.

i like to spear fish

• okay..very very dissappointed with the videos..i have to really think about just leaving it on at all times because I didnt capture anything cool underwater..it was on the gun for the bad vis area inshore...weak..oh well I was able to get a few shots. the crew, my friends Rob and Jordan. the nice conditions..curse broken...and a pile O fish

crew

conditions

Mutt

i like to spear fish

• Nice pics Judah, I'm envious of your fresh sashimi tonight.