Hardline's Dive Reports

• Went out today off Lauderdale...no current and flat seas but the viz was still a bit green and murky. I could see the bottom though in 20ft so it was workable. Found some large seaweed clumps and there were tons of large jacks swimming in schools around them including two large Almaco jacks. They swam right up to the tip of my gun but I wasn't sure of the size limit on them (even though they were at least 20") so I didn't shoot. According to what I found online, there is no limit. Maybe someone else can clarify this for me and if they are even worth shooting...

Ended up with some yellow jacks and a yellow tail snapper. Saw some muttons and schoolies but they were being skittish. I shot one nice size grover only to have it break off my spear. I chased him down and grabbed it with my hand but he was too slippery and I was running out of breath so I came back up. My gun was also floating without me holding it so I swam back to my float and gun instead of losing it over a dumb fish.

Gonna go out again tomorrow for sure.

• Got up this morning and saw that the wind wasn't blowing too hard so I grabbed my gear and walked down to the beach. When I got there, there was virtually no one there which is always a plus. Got in the water and the viz was much better than I expected. I could see the bottom @ 20 clearly and a good ways horizontal too. Current was nil. It was shaping up to be an excellent day so far.

Swam out past the first reef line and swam with a turtle and passed on a few small mangroves. Got about half-way between the first and second reef line, saw some fishy activity so I hung around. There were a few Schoolies swimming in and out of large head so I was waiting on one of the bigger ones to come out and give me a shot. One came out and started swimming away and I started to go after him but something told me to wait for the bigger one, so I went back. Now they were all hiding so I was kicking myself for letting the other go when an Almaco Jack swam by. Shot him and had fun getting him settled on my stringer. He was quite the little fighter.

After reloading my Speardiver 120 and going back for the schoolies, I saw a tremendo mutton and could hardly contain myself as I pulled the trigger and nailed him. Was fun trying to pull him to me as he tried to get himself under a rock. Got him on the stringer, took the spear out and decided to head back in. Overall a great day!!!

• Very Nice. Was this from Vista? Probably gonna head out there Saturday AM. If anybody wants to join, just let me know.

G

• Sick mutton man, hope you got it on video. I've been seeing a lot of muttons off the beaten path, between the reefs instead of on them.

• Went out today to my normal spot and found average viz with a medium strength south to north current that wasn't much trouble. Hit the first reef and found a nice size school of bait fish being chased by large yellow jacks, blue runners, Almacos and mackerels. Also saw a black grouper but he looked undersize so I didn't bother.

Took home 2 Macks and a large jack. Could have filled up a whole cooler with jacks and macks but alas I have no where to store all that fish haha so I called it a day with 3.

And then beach buns on the way home...

Edited once, last by Hardline ().