• Well, as promised, here is some stuff from my backyard grocery store... Sorry for all the pics, I just have a lot of crap growing around the house... Here are my ever bearing Mulberry, Guava, young Pineapple, passion fruit & sugar cane...

• I promise I won't bore you with more after this one... Partial harvest from this June. Piña, Passion Fruit & Longan. Bananas I cut this morning. First harvest of cayenne pepper. Key limes & Dragon fruit climbing against a tree...

• Nice!!! That is what I am talking about Gerald. Thanks for sharing

I will never get bored of seeing sustainable, local produce being grown

It is good for the soul

i like to spear fish

• It is good for the soul

Thanks Judah, it sure is.

Nothing like working on your greens on a nice fall day. (summers are just to F'ing hot). My daughter expressed interest in growing water melons and broccoli (yes, a 3 year old who LOVES broccoli). So once this rain slows down a bit I'll start growing some real veggies again. I'm planning on green beans, broccoli, cauliflower and zucchini for this winter. I've tried the melons a few times but they ALWAYS get eaten... To many pests.

• Very cool thread, makes me miss the garden back home. Gerald, what you've got there is something to be proud of. :thumbsup2:

• Tks Nate, it's amazing what you can get done with a TINY piece of land and a little love.

BTW, anybody local that wants some free bananas, hit me up. I've harvested a 100lbs in the last month, and am getting sick of them ;) Waiting for my finger bananas(dwarf namwa) to fruit just to taste something else...

• That's really nice Gerald.
    I don't personally grow things here but the farm employs a crew that does. We get mangos, banana, lime, oranges, tangerines, star fruit, guava, sour sap, among other assorted exotics. It's great having so much fresh fruits.
    But when you grow your own, you almost have to be set up to sell some, as you're seeing with your bananas. Same with mangos. When they come ripe they're ready to go and you have to get them or they fall off on the ground. (we eat a lot of green ones but that's a drop in the bucket)
    We also have chickens so I get a lot of fresh eggs.
    One nice thing about living in the middle of nowhere.....we don't have the temptations of all that fast food that you guys in America have on EVERY freeway exit. Easy to follow a good diet here.

• Easy to follow a good diet here.

That is what I miss most about island life...

As for the selling of produce, it's just to much of a hassle, and I'm sure there are all sorts of legalities. I give away copious amount of fruit to my neighbors and in-laws. I get joy out of seeing others enjoy the fruits of my labor(no pun intended)... The veggies I never have a surplus of since they don't yield so much, and take up more ground space, but especially papayas, passion fruit and bananas I always have in abundance and get shared. My Mango trees are still young and have low yields so I can still consume them all, and the lychees and longans I can eat all day everyday, I can never have to much of them.

Fresh Sugar cane is a great pre and post dive snack to give your body a quick boost btw, ask Judah...

• The vid is tongue in cheek looks like. We tried, if you must eat, squirrel will do, otherwise I'd pass.

I have eaten squirrel as well. I did tacos and then BBQed it at a party. Everyone enjoyed it. I would still eat it. Just no squirrel hunting near my area now.

• Was there drinking and the like in that party? ;)

Maybe it was my cooking, we did BBQ it. I'll try again, why not.

LOL. Yeah there was some drinking at the BBQ but the tacos I had while sober. A trick I use with hares (should work with squirrel too) to remove the gamey flavor is to soak the meat in a brine for a few days and then freeze the animal. I then let it thaw out naturally to remove any excess blood. The aging and the freezing removes a lot of blood and allows for a softer piece of meat. I then either stew in apple cider with vegetables, pan sear with spices, bread & fry or make sausage out of the meat (3~4lbs rabbit to 1 pound pork belly). To brine I put the meat in a large ziplock with water to cover it and about a table spoon or two of salt. Be careful on how much salt you use unless you like your meats very salty.

• Squirrel is really good. Try cooking it without the skin on next time Dan, it will be much less gamey. We typically de-bone them and make jambalaya.. absolutely excellent.

• Helll yeah!!! This thread rules. You guys are great.

Squirrel season in fla opens the 13 so I will break out the blow gun again. We had a nice dove and squirrel BBQ a while back. I hunted em, my buddy who is now studying at vet school would dress them and another cooked em. We told. Bunch of friends it was chicken until after they ate. Everyone enjoyed it

i like to spear fish

• An old guy who lives/d(?) by my parents house uses to have a small little hut on the edge of his property by the road. He had a sign that would change. It either said the fruit for sale and price, but this was only for the first week or two of each season. Or, it simply said,"free fruit" and he always had piles of goodies in the bins. Always empty by the end of the day too.

i like to spear fish

• We have squirrel in Belize too. I believe they are yucatan squirrel. They are rare enougth to be seen by people. Am one of fews people who have seen them once when i was with my friend hunting in bush(forest). We don't eat them squirrel.

My family and me have plantain, quava, apple banana, lime and other in our backyard. They grow like crazy. We watering them once a month when there no raining. This summer we did havest about more than 100 lime and still counting from one tree. My kind tree is lime. There many way i use with lime.