Frickin' Jake.. spearfishing Belize

• Mo is getting serious :thumbsup2: Might have to start a thread fricking Mo :laughing:

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• Big barracuda. Mo shot a nice black and I was helping him reel in his line. Then this guy just comes right in at us. He wasn't rushing but he wasn't hesitating either. So I shot him right on top of his head between the eyes. The shaft came out between his pectoral fins. He didn't die. Shit. I had to bend him to get him in the cooler.

Got these two dogs just diving down and waiting. I didn't see either one from the surface but there was a lot of action with baitfish, a few mackerels, and a few blacks. Both just came in to check me out.

Edited 2 times, last by hank ().

• Nice mutton. It was in a very sharky spot and there's a big school of dog snapper there too. There were more muttons too. I didn't want to disturb them. Saving it for Jake in three weeks.
    Stoned the cobia. First time ever. Hit him right in the head. Not even a muscle twitch.
    Mo is camera shy so I posted his cubera. He got a nice grouper too. Yep

[/IMG]
    [/IMG]
    [/IMG]

• We'll try to get video when jake gets back. I have a Go Pro that was given to me but the chip is full and we can't clear it. I need to get a new chip I guess.

I made new "Dan" bands with the small hole 14 mm. Made them 2 inches longer and I really like the way it shoots now. Not a bone jarring jolt....nice and smooth and more accurate. The cobia shot was all bone and the shaft almost went all the way through. Still plenty of power.

Stoned the mutton too. A shot from a bit above but a bit from the side. Not a twitch. I was glad too because there are ALWAYS sharks at that place. You get one or two fish and they come. Sometimes three or four. And I was almost 300 yards from the boat.

• And so the spearfishing gods turn, last time could not hit the side of a bus, to now jedi guided missiles ☺. Really digging your bottom times and depths, It's encouraging me to start getting into the water more and practice! Need to start getting fish like yours bro!

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• Thanks George. I'd like a shot at your blue water adventures too.
    Chela filleted the cobia this morning. She makes this local dish the Garafuna people call "Hudot". It's got shredded coconut, garlic....and she won't tell me the rest but it's a rich, milky soup with big chunks of fillet. Man, it's good. These fatty cobia fillets in that soup.....:thumbsup2: Da best.

• nice snapper1

met small garafuna community in Roatan/ Honduras; they do have an interesting cultur coming from Africa.. and guys are experienced fishermen...;)

Yep. But it looks like every one of those conch is undersized. :(

It's the same here. There are laws but a lot of people don't follow them. But it's part the fault of Fisheries here also. They don't have a clear statement about what is legal on many issues.

They did start closing conch season early by about 2-3 months two years ago. It's made an amazing difference. I see lots of big conch now in areas where I never saw them for the last 10 years.

• A couple guys doing a wind power feasibility study are here at the farm. Took a break and had fun yesterday. They're from Utah and have very little ocean experience so needless to say, they were pretty stoked.
    The spot was on. I got three smaller cuberas just diving and hanging on the bottom. I think turning 60 puts one on another level of Zen….I swear, I'm diving better than I have my whole life. "relax your eyelids" is my dive thought. Had a lot of dives min 45 to 2 min. Only about 50 feet but not bad. And not pushing it. My first dives of the day at only 55 seconds or so are harder. ?? REeeellllaaaaaaxxxxxx…:D

Saw two nice bugs. Got this one.

[/IMG]
    [/IMG]

Edited 2 times, last by hank ().

• Sweet - no more dizziness? :cool2:

It's gone. I'm pretty sure it was just pressure in my ear. It was clogged up a bit when I came home last night. I did 28 dives yesterday and it was getting harder to equalise on the last few so I stopped. Thanks badehh.