Moana Waterman Review

• Wanted a set of fins so I did some research tried out a few fins from some friends and was having a hard time deciding what I wanted. I read some reviews about moana watermans but didnt know anyone locally who had a pair. So I called the company and right away someone answered. To my surprise JD the owner/inventor of the fins answered. He told me all about his product helped me decide which stiffness (med), size and foot pocket (pathos). JD seems to take a lot of pride in his fins and the fact that the blades are made in the USA.

First thing I noticed about the fins was the weight. They are much lighter than my leaderfins and the other carbons i tried. I got them in the water and they are super efficient. It takes little effort to really get moving but the biggest difference I noticed in the fins was my recovery time improved. After an entire day of diving my legs feel no fatigue. Before the moanas after a long day of diving I would be exhausted but now I still have plenty of energy. These fins are so light I dont notice im wearing them. Its like they are part of my leg. These fins seem to be perfectly designed for me.

Josh

• sdeisen is correct. Also because the blades don't use rails with Pathos foot pockets, it's a straight glue-in so the fin feels tighter/more compact all around. Divers not well familiar with different carbon blade/foot pocket combinations are quickly impressed by the lightness of a fin using Pathos f/p, and it becomes an instant selling point. The truth of the matter is that due to their lightness/less material the Pathos foot pockets are not durable, don't transfer power as well as more robust foot pockets, and don't offer the blade proper support. I know this because I was first to introduce Pathos f/p to the US 3 years ago, and so was first in a position to make this determination. After these new fin companies get a few broken blades with Pathos footpockets and have to replace them, they'll stop offering the Pathos f/p with their carbon blades.

• the weight difference your noticing is the pathos footpockets, not the blades. The pathos pockets are a great deal lighter than any others

Not only that, but a number of "carbon" blades like leaderfins arent actually cf. They are instead fiberglass with carbon veneers. This might make them heavier although I am not sure that much heavier then a full carbon blade.

• Iv used pathos footpockets with other blades and yes they are lighter but the blade is actually lighter than other carbon blades. Also the problem with the transfer of power with the pathos footpockets seems to be much better with these blades as the pockets is bonded to the blade not mounted in place with hardware. This makes the pathos pocket seem much firmer than the other blades I used them with.

they sound real cool, web site?

http://http://moanawaterman.com/

• I was under the impression pathos pockets were not meant to be installed without glue ever and dont have mounting hardware otherwise?

I think the problems Dan speaks of stem not from improper mating of the foot pocket with the blade, but the absolutely minimal amount of material supporting an even properly glued in blade. Due to the tiny nature of the pathos footpocket rails.

• I offer Speardiver carbon fins with Pathos foot pockets until my current stock of Pathos foot pockets runs out, but without the 2 year warranty on the blades. Some divers still buy them because of how light the fins turn out. New fin companies like Sleep apnea, Moana and others have since picked up the Pathos like they're the new black.

but the blade is actually lighter than other carbon blades.

What is the weight of the blade with the rails? It's not stated on the website and you can't take it out of the footpocket so I'm not sure how you'd know. The name of the footpocket manufacturer is Pathos not Panthos.

• Because I held them out of the pocket side by side with several different blades at Blue and Wild. Iv also held them side by side with other fins mounted in PATHOS foot pockets.

• Do you have a decent scale? Would be interesting to find out how much they weigh. You can minus the 470g's of the pocket and find out for us all :thumbsup2:

Thanks for the review. Enjoy your new fins. :toast:

• I do until my current stock of Pathos foot pockets runs out, but without the 2 year warranty. Some divers still buy them because of how light the fins turn out.

So, were they your favorite foot pocket until you broken your fins in them? Are are they more suited for fiberglass fins? or are they just horrible and should be avoided at all costs?

Dustan Baker

• I wouldn't say Pathos were or are my favorite foot pockets for the reasons previously stated, and because they always put too much pressure on my instep, the Pathos foot pockets are rather flat on top. I was at first very impressed with them because of how light they are. Further, from a sellers perspective I enjoyed the simple/quick/clean glue-in installation. I've never broken a blade myself, but had a few customers break them in Pathos foot pockets. I kept honoring the warranty until I realized what was happening. I would then replace the blade letting the customer know that the blade is no longer warrantied in Pathos foot pockets, and recommended other foot pockets to maintain the warranty. The customer could choose to continue using the new blades with their Pathos foot pockets, but now would be aware there's no warranty. Many are still using the blades with the Pathos without a problem, and in some cases the blade outlasted the foot pockets.

That said I currently use a Speardiver medium soft blade with generation 2 Pathos foot pockets. Generation 2 are from 3 years ago and are stiffer than the current production offering the blade more support. IMO Pathos foot pockets are suitable if you got enough dough that breaking a carbon blade and replacing it out of pocket won't make you cry, or whoever sold you the fin will warranty it. If you don't have an aggressive swimming style, the Pathos lack power on demand such as swimming against current or fighting a big fish. If you have a nice easy kick and don't find yourself fighting current often they'll be OK. Also I don't recommend them for cold water diving, the foot pockets will break much faster lasting two seasons if that. I'm looking to replace the foot pockets on my fins, but have been holding off until the Speardiver foot pockets are ready.

I don't think Pathos foot pockets are a good combination with fiberglass blades. FG blades are too heavy for these small foot pockets.

Some people maintain that the stiffness and flex properties of the fin should come solely from the blade, with the foot pocket not hindering the blade at all. I consider this idea wishful thinking.

hotstepper, if you're curious about the weight of the Moana blade, post the size of your Pathos foot pocket, and I'll give you its exact weight. If Cyanoacrylate glue was used for installation the glue weight is negligible, so total fin weight minus the foot pocket weight will give you the weight of the carbon blade with rails.

• Enjoy your fins.

What blade/ pocket were you using immediately before these?

My everday fins were the leaderfin camo carbons (or composite) in omer stingray pockets but before i decided which fins to buy I burrowed several other fins. I tried GFTs, DiverR carbons and fiberglass, and C4 mustangs.

To my surprise JD the owner/inventor of the fins answered

JD is a one pony show. He doesn't have anyone working for him so you are only dealing with him.

I will add more to this post when I get home tonight but I made a post over on SB about Moana Waterman fins. I can link it later if I am allowed to cross-reference it?

I worked with JD the past month shooting and creating a short video he displayed for the Blue Wild. It details some of his design aspects and features of the Moana blades.

Moana Waterman Blue Wild Expo Film - YouTube

For what it is worth, he designed his Moana fins flex pattern and carbon weave with the pathos footpocket in mind. Almost all of the carbon blades I have seen broken from lack of support have been snapped where the 90 degree axis on the weave is. This is an inherent weak spot on most if not all fiberglass/carbon fins on the market and JD addressed this issue when he created the blades.

Time will tell on how everything turns out obviously, but I will let you know how they hold up with 99% of my spearing being from shore. I am not gentle on equipment and am using the Moana Waterman with pathos pocket exculsively now so I'll definately put them through their paces.

edit: I have no stake in Moana Waterman or the sale of JD's fins. I am trying to build my experience in the film world and am excited to add Moana Waterman to my very short film resume. I am using a pair of his fins but other than that I have no allegiance so take my opinion at face value.

• I went from aqualung slingshots which are massive scuba fins to my leaderfins and it was such a huge change but I wish I had done a lil more research before I got the leaderfins. Because the moanas make my leaderfins feel like scuba fins. It really is a huge change

• Nice video.

The only way to prevent a carbon fin from breaking in Pathos foot pockets is to make it significantly stiffer, to the point where the flex is not to my taste. I prefer a softer fin, it tires my legs much less and gives me the same propulsion, also allowing a better breath hold. Having watched the video, I can tell you starting at 1:27 that is a stiff fin.