Impaler Spearguns feedback

• I second an RA for the reef. It shoots 2x16mm rubbers and a 7-7.5mm shaft very accurately. Then again, almost any good railgun nowadays can do the same thing. I just prefer the feel of the RA in the water. If you have the money and want to own a hybrid, then by all means buy one and post up some photos ;)

I haven't been too happy with the Riffe Euro so I have changed back to my Rob Allens as they are so simply, yet so effective. My 90 and 130 cover everything I'm looking to spear. If I were to buy a wooden euro, I'd without a doubt look into the Abellan Denton 120 or one of these beauties:

Speardiver Teak Euro Speargun

• Well actually not Ben, with the options that come standard with Impaler you would be paying hundreds more for a Wong.
    Ausspearo I did say I would go with a RA or a speardiver gun if I could stand pipe guns which I cant.

Just looking to hear what guys have to say who have shot this gun... FYI to everyone, I can shoot anything with anything that a spear comes out of but it is a matter of preference and for my money I would prefer when I spend it that the said anything be balanced and shoot straight with minimum recoil so again if anyone has shot one Hola!

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• That is the best derail pic of all time Don! That is spearfishing at its best... :D hummm wonder if my wife reads these posts???? :@:nono:

George Steele

• I think you Wong'ed when you should have Wang'ed :laughing3:
    QUOTE=Don Paul;78740]She is a Wong tester.:D

Cheers, Don[/QUOTE]

George Steele

• It allows use of a good stand alone trigger mechanism with a pipe. I see no other advantage. The "more mass to absorb recoil" idea simply doesn't work, as the mass is at the back of the gun not at the front where it's needed to control muzzle lift. People get the hybrids thinking they can add more band power, and the gun ends up shooting erratically. To shoot decent they need to be powered just like a pipe gun. Nowadays there are production pipe guns with good full stainless steel triggers, so the hybrid is obsolete IMO. They look pretty and allow for some creativity in the building of the gun, that's about it. If someone likes how something looks, they'll find all the theoretical reasons necessary to convince themselves why it's the ultimate solution to their spearfishing needs.

The rear ballast makes a difference on midhandles. It's not as significant as the front, certainly, but mass at the ends help control the midhandle motions. They like to rotate around the middle, so mass at each end helps. I had to add some to my midhandle and it made a noticeable difference in accuracy and shooting feel.

That said, I greatly prefer rear handles or close to it (rear +)

• I don't want to be seen as spamming your forum, but I dive with Jason who makes the impaler spearguns, all the time

so obviously anything I say is totally biased but ....

I love shooting his guns, I use two rear handles he made for fishing the reef all the time

I like his reef guns because he makes them as slim as possible, I hate dragging around big boxy guns in the water

I think hybrids are kind of gimic, but people love them. I test fired the 666 hybrid a bunch when he was balancing it, and it was pretty cool . It was nicer to swing around in the water then my blue water gun, but it did not shoot any better.

• I have used rail guns in the past

I have had a rabitech hunter, rabitech apex, mako oceanic, rob allen, CF aimrite and also a CF Aimrite venom

for one the neptonics trigger blows away the triggers on those rail guns, maybe some other rail guns have a better trigger but none that I have used

also the enclosed track is better for reloading, there is zero chance of user error loading the track gun, with pipe guns, the shaft can get out out of alignment , the mono can get under the shaft etc

Not sure if its psychological but the wood guns just feel better, I have shot nice fish with the railgun and there are people who have shot way better fish then I have ever shot with the railgun, but I just like the slim wood gun better

also just to give an even bigger plug for Jason's guns, that first 666 hybrid took 3 wahoo in past month or so the biggest being 60# (i know people get all wet when you mention wahoo)

I could post some photos but not sure if that would be too self promotional :nono:

• Man there I was beginning to think that I would never read an opinion from someone who actually shot the bloody guns and just read opinions of opinions on the gun they never shot!! THANKS BRO!!! :thumbsup2:
    Have you shot his reef hybrids?

George Steele

• I haven't not shot the reef hybrids a lot, I have shot them some the track and shoot fine but they are mid handles

I like shooting rear handles with one hand, the whole two hand mid handle swivel thing is lost on me

Jason and Niko who both work with me part time commercial diving use them with great results, he has sold a bunch around key west but I don't know if any of these people are on this board, or any board for that matter

He also sent a gun to some freedive club in san diego, but I don't know which one

• here are the 3 wahoo shot with the 666

niko's

Andy's

Eddie's 60#er

I guess if Ja was a bit more marketing minded he would actually make sure I got his gun is in the photo